Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
I took the pedals/shoes out for a short ride today. It's an odd feeling being stuck in one position. I didn't really notice the float in my clips until it was gone. Another thing it made clear is how much my technique has declined since my BMX/early mtn biking days where all I used were flats. I used to be able to bunny hop a decent stack of skateboard decks. Now I'm down to about the height of a curb (with spds). Today I couldn't even manage to get the rear wheel up with the flats.
Can you make small adjustments in where your feet are on the pedals or are the soles so aggressively knobby they lock you into a few positions? Maybe you will find a good position on the pedals with more experience and then you won't care about not having float.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:24 PM

I wear birkenstock shoes on the bike. They are great.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:05 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Can you make small adjustments in where your feet are on the pedals or are the soles so aggressively knobby they lock you into a few positions? Maybe you will find a good position on the pedals with more experience and then you won't care about not having float.
I feel pretty locked in. I didn't experience any pain but it was a short ride. I need to give them some more time. I think it'll be good way to rebuild some skills.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I feel pretty locked in. I didn't experience any pain but it was a short ride. I need to give them some more time. I think it'll be good way to rebuild some skills.
Yeah. That was my concern and the reason I moved away from aggressive pedals with 5.10 Stealth rubber. For me the pain could be a concern, but for mountain biking, there is just so much more movement on the bike such that I really cannot afford to be locked in to one position on the pedals. It negates some of the advantages of flats, for me, in doing so.

Good luck with the testing and look for something like a Blackspire Sub 3 if you do need some more movement on the pedals ultimately. The ability to make subtle adjustments on the pedals was a big deal, for me.

Nothing helps build your skills like flats (and a rigid fork and 26" wheels )
Old 03-18-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
The pins on those One-ups look scary.
A $free customization option is to remove pins, or grinding them shorter. Both the aluminum and composite versions of the One Up pedals have removable pins.

I usually end up with shorter pins after a few scrapes on rocks!