Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2019, 10:14 AM

I just picked up a Pilot Metropolitan fountain pen on Saturday. If you like fountain pens, this is one of the best pens you'll ever put your hands on for $21-23.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PilotMetropol.jpg (20.6 KB, 59 views)
Old 03-18-2019, 10:15 AM

Some cool pens. I had some decent-ish ones back in the day (Cross?) but haven't had anything fancy in ages.

Are people who are into this in fields where you're being noticed using a fancy pen on a day to day basis? Is that part of it?

I'm left handed, I type more than I write these days which might be why I don't care as much. I also have long fingers.. I will get some fatigue if I'm handwriting a lot.

However since I am lefty I do go out of my way to buy Uni-Ball Jetstream pens.. they dry the fastest of anything I've tried, including fancier pens.

We had a luxury pen store in the mall here.. totally hilarious place. No prices on anything. I went in wanting to buy my brother a nice pen as a gift, he has worked in fields where it might be more appreciated. Who knows if it was how I was dressed... but the guy was clueless. Gave me a massive attitude when I asked about prices, "if you have to ask you can't afford our pens." When I looked up what they were selling.. I could easily have bought anything in the store.

They went out of business...
Old 03-18-2019, 10:48 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
...Are people who are into this in fields where you're being noticed using a fancy pen on a day to day basis? Is that part of it?
I am sure some there are some fields where a pen is still a status thing...I have not really run into it in Seattle / Bellevue business.

I just like a pen that writes well, and really like stuff related to space program.

Also, I like to take notes by hand during meetings
Old 03-18-2019, 11:05 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post

I just like a pen that writes well, and really like stuff related to space program.
Since I had twins, I have taken a bigger interest in the space program (and the Gemini program in particular - for obvious reasons). I wanted to do a Gemini Program themed party for their 1st birthday, but my wife is really into a Dr. Seuss themed party with Thing #1 and Thing #2. I have negotiated that their 2nd party will be a NASA / Gemini theme "Two the Moon" party because it works on more levels.

Sometimes it still amazes me that everything worked (for the most part) on technology from 50 years ago. Landing on the moon is one thing, but then relaunching the LEM and midspace rendezvous with the capsule, and then safely back to Earth. crazy.

I just saw they are opening a sealed box of moon rocks, with a core sample, that they kept sealed since the mission until we had better technology to analyze it. Thankfully, no one has had sex on them yet -- so they are pristine.