Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2023, 01:25 PM

Source for custom rear derailleur hanger for road bike - Campy Chorus 12 speed issues

Anyone know a source for a custom hanger? I have moved from Campy 10 speed to Chorus 12 speed and am experiencing shifting issues on the back dropping to the some of the middle cogs toward the higher gear (smaller cog side. The chain does not drop to the next smaller cog when you hit the thumbe lever. R der works well on cogs that are larger and lower.

My LBS thinks that my hanger needs to be set so that it is maybe 3mm farther back toward the back of the bike to permit correct shifting.

He tried changing all parts incl shifter, cassette, chain, and cable guide and nothing helped. He is an excellent mechanic so I agree with his thoughts.

Bike is a Lynskey 240 which is probably 8 years old but this should work.

Let me know if you know of anyone who can help w a modified hanger.

Thanks,

Alan

Last edited by Alan; 10-17-2023 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-28-2023, 01:34 PM

Does adjusting the B-Screw accomplish anything, or have you maxed out that adjustment range?

You could try a longer screw in place of the original to push the RD further away from the cassette.
Old 09-28-2023, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Try a wolf tooth road link first...
Old 09-28-2023, 01:41 PM

B screw

He looked at the B screw and decided that it didn't really help and we need to focus on the hanger.

Alan
Old 09-28-2023, 01:54 PM

any pictures of the current setup as to how the RD is situated with relation to your current hanger?
Old 09-28-2023, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Anyone know a source for a custom hanger? I have moved from Campy 10 speed to Chorus 12 speed and am experiencing shifting issues on the back dropping to the some of the middle cogs toward the higher gear (smaller cog side. The chain does not drop to the next smaller cog when you hit the thumbe lever. R der works well on cogs that are larger and lower.

My LBS thinks that my hanger needs to be set so that it is maybe 3mm farther back toward the back of the bike to permit correct shifting.

He tried changing all parts incl shifter, cassette, chain, and cable guide and nothing helped. He is an excellent mechanic so I agree with his thoughts.

Thanks,

Alan
Silca has started to produce 3D printed Ti hangers so maybe you could have someone produce something 3D for your needs?

Member kppolich may have some insight regarding 3D printing. Also Shapeways might be worth a look/chat.
Old 09-28-2023, 04:06 PM

See pic

See pic of der on my frame. This is in the gear range that has issues.

[ATTACH]1698071806
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2078.jpg (141.5 KB, 218 views)
Old 09-28-2023, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Again, try the roadlink. That solved my problems with Chorus 12 install.
Old 09-28-2023, 04:20 PM

comparing your photo to the Campag 12sp RD on my Kirk, the angle looks quite similar, and I'm not experiencing those issues, your RD position doesn't look extreme compared to any other Campag installations I've done lately for 12sp.

Chain length correct? (Chainstay length and gear combo is the determinator)

I'd also check what your chain wrap looks like on the 11T cog, that is where the B (H in the Campagnolo manuals) Screw adjustment needs to be performed (which is different than previous Campag setups)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-09-28 at 5.19.53 PM.jpg (67.6 KB, 208 views)
Old 09-28-2023, 04:27 PM

Roadlink

This makes sense to me. I called my LBS and he thinks the Roadlink DM will work so he is ordering one to try

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...ts/roadlink-dm

Last edited by Alan; 09-28-2023 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-29-2023, 06:43 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Thanks,

Alan
If you disconnect the rear der cable and in the stand, pedal and push the rear der up the corset and then let go of it..does it return all the way down to the highest(smallest) cog?

Is he using the extended part of the hanger shown in 1:45 of this video?

https://www.campagnolo.com/us-en/sup...mechanics.html

I see from the pix, it is being used...BUT I'd check the gig with rear der cable not connected. Or try it w/o the little extended thing...

1:45 of the video.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 09-29-2023 at 06:45 AM.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:32 PM

Problem solved with Roadlink DM

The direct mount Roadlink solved this. My Lynskey R240 has fairly short chain stays and so the r der hanger needed to go farther back which the Roadlink DM accommodated.

Just wanted to let all know this is fixed. If you get 12 speed Campy with the widest range cassette you need to be aware of this.

Alan
Old 10-02-2023, 12:36 PM
Administrator

You're welcome
Old 10-17-2023, 06:34 AM

Next steps

I am the OP. So the Roadlink DM didn't really work. Per my LBS it pushed the der too far back. We both believe the problem is that my current r der hanger is essentially vertical if you look at the prev pic I posted. Modern bikes have the hanger 5-10mm toward the back of the bike.

I saw a modern Moots and the hanger was set back from the axle by a significant amount. I do have a pic and it looks to be about 10mm.

I think the solution is a custom r der hanger. The question is how to get one made economically in the US. I have seen a few sites in foreign countries that said they would do custom. Anyone know of a US source?

Any thoughts are appreciated on this.

Thanks

Alan
Old 10-17-2023, 09:22 PM

Maybe this -

https://wheelsmfg.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=lynskey