Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2020, 10:23 AM

Drivetrain options - need help

I am currently running SRAM red (Yaw type), 100 BCD, with 52/36 and 11-28, 11 speed. I live in Philly where it is generally hilly. I am considering going with a subcompact chainring set and an 11-32 in the back, but I am totally confused at what my options are. I'm 5'9ish 155 currently, and 47 years old. I ride for fun and fitness. I like climbing and also riding at a high cadence.

I have some questions:

1) is it worth it?

2)Will there be noticeable changes to the bike's performance?

2) what are my chainring options - I know there are certain pairs that work and pairs that don't

Thanks in advance
Old 07-13-2020, 10:58 AM

Having seen others in similar spots, I'd start with just swapping to a 50/34 chainrings. It's the cheapest most strait forward solution.

It's a decent drop on the lower end for climbing, and then if you don't think it's enough, swapping the RD and Cassette will get you the 11-32.

Definitely recommend doing it in stages, as you can see step by step what works for you. Jumping directly to the super low climbing gears swings it so far in the other direction, you may feel such a big change that you can't find the gears you like or hit the speeds you want while hunting around now bigger gaps or different combinations
Old 07-13-2020, 12:22 PM
#RYFB

Sound advice from @ltwtsculler91 IMO -- make incremental changes to find the solution that works best for you.

I did the same, albeit over many years, going initially from standard (actually 52/42) to compact, then increasing the range of my cassette. i'm in SoCal and there is a lot of climbing, some of it quite steep. In the past year I've put subcompact on both bikes, with cassettes whose big cog ranges from 27 to 32, easy to swap cassettes or wheels depending on the shape of the ride.

In addition to gaining lower gearing for high cadence climbing of steeper grades, I find I am able to spend more time in the big ring, in particular on rollers and short punchy climbs. The only negative is not having a really big gear to push when building speed on a descent. I'm happy to make that tradeoff though.

If you decide to try subcompact I have been very happy with the Praxis Zayante crankset, which also accommodate compact and mid compact with the same BCD so you could maintain your current options at the cost of some additional rings.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:02 PM

Appreciate the viewpoint - I was thinking the same. I'll put some feelers out for 50/34 in classifieds.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
If you decide to try subcompact I have been very happy with the Praxis Zayante crankset, which also accommodate compact and mid compact with the same BCD so you could maintain your current options at the cost of some additional rings.
Yeah I looked at the praxis stuff last night and it is more than I can justify right now, but their stuff looks great. Thanks for the feedback!