Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
Hey that's your choice, but the original correlation was to usage of a Tubolito versus a regular butyl tube and how there was a disadvantage inherent to a Tubolito. Just pointing out there is none.
I though you’re question was why would you use your mouth to blow into any tube before installing when you can use a pump or CO2 cartridge. I agree that there no inherent disadvantage to Tubolito tubes, and seemingly many benefits.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:30 PM

As others have noted, this is not an inner tube as we know it so you can't compare it to a $5 inner tube. Inner tubes are actually $12+ now, but that's a different story.

I'm so over conventional inner tubes that deteriorate over time. Can't trust them unless they're super fresh so I find myself having to 'manage' my stock of inner tubes by testing, patching, tossing, etc. PITA!

These are designed for super minimalist riders who want a light, compact, and more durable spare while running tubeless. For that they are absolutely worth the money.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
Amortized over a bunch of years, the high-quality Handlebra tape has been a truly solid investment.
One thing that bugs me is unexpected "downtime" on bicycles. Reliability and durability have advantages.
Love my handlebra - have had it on my bike since 2014. https://www.flickr.com/photos/firefl...7636160361504/
Old 07-13-2020, 12:45 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
"...Love my Handlebra - have had it on my bike since 2014..."
Agreed, it is a terrific bar wrap. Enjoy!
Old 07-14-2020, 09:30 AM
bourbon!

Some stuff is expensive. There is always a cheaper option somewhere. Only the purchaser can decide what is of value or not.

$35 is high for a tube, but it's not that outrageous. Same thing with $100 leather bar tape or $85 leather cycling gloves or $300 bibs.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantdog View Post
Wasn’t the handlebra tape $100? That was years ago too. Maybe they charged extra for the terrible name.
Actually went to look. $100 was the bottom price. This was the most. $160 (!) Wonder if you had to prove you earned it, too.
https://store.handlebra.com/product_p/shb-wcb.htm
Old 07-14-2020, 10:00 AM

I don't think I've ever seen more comments on an RKP article as I've seen on the Tubolito review.

The main issue seems to be the proprietary patch kit where the patches simply don't last. It can't be a good feeling knowing that your patch could fail at any time.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:11 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
Do whatever you want. I’ve always preferred the simple, less complicated approach.
+1

I do the same...a couple quick puffs to give the tube some shape....much easier to install. Plus, I don't carry a pump....and my CO2 is an all or nothing dispenser.....
Old 07-14-2020, 11:13 AM

I believe the point of the post was to express the view that cycling equipment costs are becoming out of control and questionable as too, are they rational for the end user?

I also don't think this particular specialized product was a good choice as it is intended for a limited audience and not necessarily intended for an everyday application. Certainly a "casual" bike rider has little need for a product like this, a $12.00 butyl tube tucked in a pocket or pack, would more than adequately have a general cyclist prepared for the purposes of repairing an occasional puncture.

I do however agree the cycling industry is without doubt hurting itself, growth wise by it's continually inflating prices, increasing barriers and marketing such specialized products as necessities to new and casual bike riders. Making inexpensive good products outdated and difficult to acquire is taking simple bike ownership, too expensive, and making it out of many peoples everyday reach.

A bike in every backyard was a thing when I was a kid, I am not sure it is any more.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
I believe the point of the post was to express the view that cycling equipment costs are becoming out of control and questionable as too, are they rational for the end user?

I also don't think this particular specialized product was a good choice as it is intended for a limited audience and not necessarily intended for an everyday application. Certainly a "casual" bike rider has little need for a product like this, a $12.00 butyl tube tucked in a pocket or pack, would more than adequately have a general cyclist prepared for the purposes of repairing an occasional puncture.

I do however agree the cycling industry is without doubt hurting itself, growth wise by it's continually inflating prices, increasing barriers and marketing such specialized products as necessities to new and casual bike riders. Making inexpensive good products outdated and difficult to acquire is taking simple bike ownership, too expensive, and making it out of many peoples everyday reach.

A bike in every backyard was a thing when I was a kid, I am not sure it is any more.
Huh? You think this $35 tube will replace $3 regular ones? No, this has a particular market and it performs very well for that market. For people who don't want that, there are many other options.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:28 AM

There are price points for all.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
The solution is to blow into the valve a bit with your mouth to partially inflate it
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
Gives the tube some shape and makes it easier to install. I do this all the time. You’re not inflating the thing, your just blowing some air through the valve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
I always pre inflate tubes with my mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
I do the same...a couple quick puffs to give the tube some shape....much easier to install
Dude....of the 300 tubes I've installed on a rim I'd say I've blown a little air to give the tube some shape, oh, maybe 290 times. ('cept for those thornless tubes which is more like putting a garden hose in your tire)

The tubes mentioned in the OP serve a purpose and application for those who need it. It makes zero sense to say "boy things are pricey these days."

This thread highlights the "cabin fever" theme that has taken over lately.

Sad times.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
There are price points for all.
Is this the definition of dismissive?
Old 07-14-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post

On one hand i do agree with this, but on another point of view is that for a reasonable cyclist, or would-be cyclist on a budget, now is not a bad time to pick up gently used gear for inexpensive dollars.

as long as you dont get caught up in the marketing side, at least for road biking, you can get a very good rim brake road bike for very little money, and realistically - there is nothing wrong or outdated about it. a used CAAD10 for example could probably be had with 105 or ultegra kit and decent wheels for a grand or so and be all the bike any non-pro needs to enjoy the sport.

i know when newcomers have asked me for advice, this is the direction i point them in.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattvagen View Post
On one hand i do agree with this, but on another point of view is that for a reasonable cyclist, or would-be cyclist on a budget, now is not a bad time to pick up gently used gear for inexpensive dollars.

as long as you dont get caught up in the marketing side, at least for road biking, you can get a very good rim brake road bike for very little money, and realistically - there is nothing wrong or outdated about it. a used CAAD10 for example could probably be had with 105 or ultegra kit and decent wheels for a grand or so and be all the bike any non-pro needs to enjoy the sport.

i know when newcomers have asked me for advice, this is the direction i point them in.
I agree with you in the used market and if a perspective buyer is lucky enough to know someone like yourself with a bit of knowledge. Is anyone making new CAAD10's? How many are still around, usable and available for purchase? I have to believe it is currently limited and shrinking fast. I would guess soon 105 will be disk and through axel only and won't even be compatible with a CAAD10 frame.

Last edited by m_sasso; 07-14-2020 at 12:50 PM.