Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
For those that haven’t installed one on the side of the road yet, be warned that it’s a bit of a faff compared to butyl. The trick is to inflate the tube a bit by blowing into it with your mouth before attempting to install it.
Do you not carry a pump or have a CO2 inflator with a valve? Why would you be inflating a tube with your mouth?
Old 07-13-2020, 10:17 AM

I use leather tape, i think it is actually cheaper, it never really wears out. I have 4 year old tape with a lot of miles on it, still works well. looks a bit rough though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allcarbon View Post
You joke, but leather bar tape like the one Brooks sells is $70 - $75.

https://www.brooksengland.com/en_us/...-bar-tape.html
Old 07-13-2020, 10:18 AM

The Berthoud bar tape is $92 at RH. I tried some on compulsion. It's nice. Was only $90 when I got it though.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:26 AM

Wasn’t the handlebra tape $100? That was years ago too. Maybe they charged extra for the terrible name.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:28 AM

also, I really like nitto water bottle cages, they are kind of hilariously expensive.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:29 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
Do you not carry a pump or have a CO2 inflator with a valve? Why would you be inflating a tube with your mouth?
The Tubolito material is very light, tends to curl, and resembles a wavy strip of tape when you first unroll it. It also tends to inflate from one end of the tube to the other rather than in a uniform fashion, somewhat like the balloons used by balloon artists. I found it nearly impossible to install onto the rim like this - pushing it onto one side would result in it flying off the other side, blowing in the wind, curling up, etc. This can go especially badly if you inflate it with CO2 and any portion of it ends up between the rim and the bead.

If you ever have to install it, you will immediately see what I mean.

The solution is to blow into the valve a bit with your mouth to partially inflate it and give it some shape, then install onto the rim, then inflate with your CO2 or pump.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Why would you be inflating a tube with your mouth?
It's important to feel one with your bike, and your bike is never more vulnerable than when it's been hurt, cursed at, pulled apart and dripped sweat on. You do it out of respect for the machine.

Or maybe you just have an oral fixation.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-13-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
The Tubolito material is very light, tends to curl, and resembles a wavy strip of tape when you first unroll it. It also tends to inflate from one end of the tube to the other rather than in a uniform fashion, somewhat like the balloons used by balloon artists. I found it nearly impossible to install onto the rim like this - pushing it onto one side would result in it flying off the other side, blowing in the wind, curling up, etc. This can go especially badly if you inflate it with CO2 and any portion of it ends up between the rim and the bead.

If you ever have to install it, you will immediately see what I mean.

The solution is to blow into the valve a bit with your mouth to partially inflate it and give it some shape, then install onto the rim, then inflate with your CO2 or pump.
Yes I've installed more than a few and know what you mean how it curls up, but a slight bit of air from a pump or CO2 inflator will inflate it slightly into shape so that you can insert it under the tire without it curling on itself. I'm still not sure why you would use your mouth if you have a pump or CO2.

Or is C40_guy correct?
Old 07-13-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Gives the tube some shape and makes it easier to install. I do this all the time. You’re not inflating the thing, your just blowing some air through the valve.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
Gives the tube some shape and makes it easier to install. I do this all the time. You’re not inflating the thing, your just blowing some air through the valve.
You can achieve the same thing with the pump or CO2... or is there a some kind of requirement to use a pump or CO2 only on tubes that are already installed?
Old 07-13-2020, 10:47 AM

I don’t like to waste CO2 cartridges and I like to have all of the C02 available to inflate the tire once the tube is installed. It doesn’t take much to blow some air through an open presta valve. It’s easier than using pump or inflator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-13-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I don’t like to waste CO2 cartridges and I like to have all of the C02 available to inflate the tire once the tube is installed. It doesn’t take much to blow some air through an open presta valve. It’s easier than using pump or inflator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Ok, so that's not any fault of the tube. I've had to pre-inflate butyl tubes as well to avoid pinching it under the tire when inflating. Seems more of a faff to put a tube valve in your mouth than to use the right tool.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:15 AM

I always pre inflate tubes with my mouth

Quote:
Old 07-13-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Ok, so that's not any fault of the tube. I've had to pre-inflate butyl tubes as well to avoid pinching it under the tire when inflating. Seems more of a faff to put a tube valve in your mouth than to use the right tool.
Do whatever you want. I’ve always preferred the simple, less complicated approach.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
I always pre inflate tubes with my mouth
Hey that's your choice, but the original correlation was to usage of a Tubolito versus a regular butyl tube and how there was a disadvantage inherent to a Tubolito. Just pointing out there is none.