Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 11:24 AM

I did not watch the video. I started by reading the text below it and saw:

"Broglia followed the SUV into a parking lot where he and another cyclist had a verbal altercation with the driver."

This won't ever happen to me because I consider it my responsibility to be as safe as I can, assume that cars NEVER see me, and would NEVER try to educate someone on how they should be driving their vehicle.

It may be that the driver did lots of things that are "bad," and it may be that what the cyclists did was completely legal. I wouldn't allow myself to get into that situation in the first place.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pncguy View Post
I did not watch the video. I started by reading the text below it and saw:

"Broglia followed the SUV into a parking lot where he and another cyclist had a verbal altercation with the driver."

This won't ever happen to me because I consider it my responsibility to be as safe as I can, assume that cars NEVER see me, and would NEVER try to educate someone on how they should be driving their vehicle.

It may be that the driver did lots of things that are "bad," and it may be that what the cyclists did was completely legal. I wouldn't allow myself to get into that situation in the first place.
I agree - I don't confront drivers anymore - Nothing good comes from it.....Plus in my hood its just not a good idea!
Old 07-13-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fried bake View Post
He brandished a Gun, which is illegal in many places. Not gonna bother checking Florida law, cause...Florida...
Dude did a lot of things wrong but he did not "brandish a firearm". He was putting it in his pocket well before the first cyclist rolled up.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:04 PM

I have learned to let it go. That type of person is not going to change their opinion. And you could get really hurt. There are some messed up people that may be on the verge out there, just dont give them a reason.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:19 PM

Im like mike, you have to let that go. Sucker screwed up, yes... but they should have let the guy go, or just see where the car is getting parked, and then comeback to check how deep the paint is

One thing is for sure, that old man got scared... probably he wont do it again.

Example, my street the speed limit is 25, when im back from the rides is uphill and it gets me out of my nerves that the drivers are passing me pretty much half car in the other line instead of keeping it closer to me. Which is a good thing but not that im used to you know.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:24 PM

I can understand why the cyclists chased the driver down – it's two guys on an adrenaline rush and thought their lives were threatened. I can imagine myself doing the same, but it's a no win situation really, especially in Florida. What do you expect from the driver? Sincere apologies and a promise to never do it again? I would've tried very hard to let it go.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:43 PM

I followed a driver in VW van a couple of weeks ago after a very close pass into the parking lot at the Chilmark Store (so right away you know he's not armed Got his attention before he got out, and said, I would appreciate it if you gave me more space when passing. His wife pops out of the passenger side and says, I told him he was too close! He was quite contrite.

If you're going to film an interaction, be nice on yr part. Gold standard is the bird watcher filming Amy Cooper in Central Park.

And I'd never do this in FL...
Old 07-13-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
Dude did a lot of things wrong but he did not "brandish a firearm". He was putting it in his pocket well before the first cyclist rolled up.
That was my impression too. The gun was in the car and he took it out after he parked. It was in his hand and he put it away in his pocket. I don't see brandish in any way. In AZ, you can carry a weapon in your car but it has to be in a holster even if it is in a seatback pocket.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:55 PM

Do you follow someone into a parking lot like that cause you're so frustrated at how horrible it is to be a cyclist in Florida?

I am not sure what I would do instead but if I was forced to live in Florida I highly doubt I could continue to be a cyclist. Maybe get a boat or start scuba diving or something.

So what if the drivers are horrible.. make all the cars vanish and it would still not be a great place to be a cyclist considering the lack of altitude & the roads being dead straight.

Even if that was a close pass... no way in hell it would ever cross my mind to confront a driver for that. They already got by me without killing me.. things can only go downhill from pulling in the parking lot.

I would be "SMH" at myself way more if I had taken the bait and confronted the driver than I would have been over the pass itself.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
never been in a situation where you felt righteously indignant? criticize both parties all you want, but the situation wouldnt have even happened if one asshole hadnt screwed with another asshole.

i can tell you if it'd been me coming around that corner and saw the same dickhead that just buzzed me holding a gun its quite likely i would have put two through his chest before waiting to see what his intentions were, and the good citizens of the state of florida wouldnt have had any reason to think that was unreasonable.

call me a "keyboard tough guy."

just leave people alone. let people ride their bikes. dont pull guns on people after making them think youre gonna run them over. if you do, expect really ****ty things to come of it. this stuff just isnt that hard.

Well, if you're gonna be putting "two through his chest before waiting to see what his intentions were" because some "dickhead" buzzed you, I personally wouldn't call you a "keyboard tough guy" or even a "tough guy" or even a "guy" really...I would just call you effing crazy.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:44 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù View Post

Well, if you're gonna be putting "two through his chest before waiting to see what his intentions were" because some "dickhead" buzzed you, I personally wouldn't call you a "keyboard tough guy" or even a "tough guy" or even a "guy" really...I would just call you effing crazy.
have you ever had a gun pulled on you? or had one involved in any kind of altercation? not even being there, just watching via video, when i saw that gun in his hand definitely NOT going immediately into his pocket, i absolutely expected to see it coming up and possibly going off in the cyclists direction. thats not crazy, its self preservation. and the law would absolutely be on my side, especially in florida.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:48 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Getting the feeling this has mostly run its course.

If there’s nothing new to add we should move on ....

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
have you ever had a gun pulled on you? or had one involved in any kind of altercation? not even being there, just watching via video, when i saw that gun in his hand definitely NOT going immediately into his pocket, i absolutely expected to see it coming up and possibly going off in the cyclists direction. thats not crazy, its self preservation. and the law would absolutely be on my side, especially in florida.
Yes I have. It scared the hell out of me.
I do not advocate gun violence anywhere, especially when couched as "machismo", let alone on a cycling forum.
Really....
Old 07-13-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Getting the feeling this has mostly run its course.

If there’s nothing new to add we should move on ....

BK
Please, yes.
Unbelievable.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fried bake View Post
He brandished a Gun, which is illegal in many places. Not gonna bother checking Florida law, cause...Florida...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote:
Time to step away from the computer and get out of the house for awhile. Fresh air and exercise will do you a world of good.
Closed Thread