Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2020, 11:48 AM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
I love how when I'm on the bike and going mobile I can see for miles, it's a bargain, maybe even the best I ever had. It's a sure way to cure the summertime blues, especially if I go with my wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
But when you ride, do you become part of the machine?
Both excellent, chapeau.

I was tempted to say that my bikes provide a magic bus ride but felt that was too much.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:58 AM
LateStart

It's complicated...

For comparison... let's imagine this discussion board in Spring of 1942. Would we lock threads for:
  • People discussing the war and the right/wrong of the sides?
  • People discussing rumors of a mass genocide of jews?
  • People discussing chemical warfare
  • People discussing the imprisonment of Japanese-Americans in CA?
  • People discussing the limits on biking because of materials availability?

I think we have to be realistic - Covid, Race, Politics and the economy are on people's minds more than ever. We do owe each other polite conversation and room for disagreement. And I could see a separate section. But it is hard to imagine saying 'pretend this is not going on'.

After flying 125k miles last year I haven't been on a plane since February - life is definitely different and that creates opportunities and challenges. Let's embrace that and each other.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latestart View Post
For comparison... let's imagine this discussion board in Spring of 1942. Would we lock threads for:

I think we have to be realistic - Covid, Race, Politics and the economy are on people's minds more than ever. We do owe each other polite conversation and room for disagreement. And I could see a separate section. But it is hard to imagine saying 'pretend this is not going on'.

After flying 125k miles last year I haven't been on a plane since February - life is definitely different and that creates opportunities and challenges. Let's embrace that and each other.
I agree, but there was a huge aire of civility and accountability present then that does not exist today. You had to write it down and sign your name and there were reprocussions that Also do not exist today.

Still, I still agree.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:29 PM

cabin fever - no way. not here!

since all business travel, including commuting is now dead, i've been riding more miles than ever.

it's quite amazing really, i see my family more, exercise more, eat healthier and waste less time in a car or train.

there is a LOT of bad about covid, but cabin fever is not one of my problems.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:13 PM

My family isn't going on vacation this summer, and I miss going to NH and hiking and seeing my family. But I can still get on my bike and go for a long ride, and I'm enjoying those, and am grateful for them.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:14 AM

Think about it Netflix is a discussion point
Old 07-14-2020, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latestart View Post

Yes we are all aware that these impact all of us on a daily basis. But while many, if not most members are able to have a civil discussion, almost universally the discussion devolves with non-productive comments and outright rudeness from some members . I wish it were a different reality but there always seems to be someone who blows up the discussion, turns it into a pissing match so the thread gets closed.

The mods all do this on a volunteer basis and we all have real lives. We also go on vacation, have family emergencies, etc . We can’t know every post made on every thread , every day. Hence the rules to avoid politics among other subjects.
There are lots of other places to discuss politics, covid and other world events. These events all impact us I know.

This is not 1942 with only newspapers, letters to the editor and the corner store to sit around and discuss current events. Go to FB, IG or across the hall if you want to go into political discussions. It’s not that we don’t think these issues are important, they are , but go elsewhere.

Let’s stick to bikes which was the original intent of the forum. It’s worked for 20 years.

Last edited by gasman; 07-14-2020 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:59 AM

I personally think the amount of moderation in the locked threads were just about right. Give them a run for a few pages so the community can blow off some steam (and/or voice some opinions) then everyone can calm down. Add some spice to the forum.

That is just me though, they don't really bother me much other than changed my opinions on some members.

Old 07-14-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
I personally think the amount of moderation in the locked threads were just about right. Give them a run for a few pages so the community can blow off some steam (and/or voice some opinions) then everyone can calm down. Add some spice to the forum.

That is just me though, they don't really bother me much other than changed my opinions on some members.

Most commonly, yes. Occasionally (or more), no. IMO....
Old 07-14-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post

This is not 1942 with only newspapers, letters to the editor and the corner store to sit around and discuss current events. Go to FB, IG or across the hall if you want to go into political discussions. It’s not that we don’t think these issues are important, they are , but go elsewhere.

Let’s stick to bikes which was the original intent of the forum. It’s worked for 20 years.
Totally agree. Also, the whole Woke Culture thing has no place in a bicycle forum.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:24 AM

haha, i'm a noob to this forum, but had a good chuckle at the fellow in the other thread who got deeply insulted and felt "condescended" when someone else said road bikes should have 25mm tires.

that's pretty over the top!

in all seriousness, this seems like a great space and discussion board. thanks for the hard and probably thankless work.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:26 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Thumbs up

Excellent post. Thank you, @gasman.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
I agree, but there was a huge aire of civility and accountability present then that does not exist today. You had to write it down and sign your name and there were reprocussions that Also do not exist today.

Still, I still agree.
I think this is true too and in fact you can see it in old newsreels and interviews and such.

It does make me wonder about what the civility was like in say 1855? Because it got so bad that 5 years later we were shooting at each other.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I think this is true too and in fact you can see it in old newsreels and interviews and such.

It does make me wonder about what the civility was like in say 1855? Because it got so bad that 5 years later we were shooting at each other.
Charles Sumner was one who was on the business end of that eras "civility."
Old 07-14-2020, 08:19 AM

But, but, but... he'd called Preston Brooks 8th cousin 4 times removed... a scalawag!!! The horror

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cani...Charles_Sumner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Charles Sumner was one who was on the business end of that eras "civility."