Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2020, 01:04 PM

OT Food processor

I have an old Cuisinart Classic DLC-10 7 cup food processor, that's always done all I need it to. I was thinking that it would be great to buy a new metal chopping blade, and while I was at it, a new bowl, because mine has a chip out at the bottom of the plastic "skirt". To my surprise I can indeed buy those parts - and they cost more than a new food processor!

So - are the new ones way more cheaply made, and I should renovate my old one? Love that it's basically a motor, no electronics, no LEDs or LCDs, etc.

If I should get a new one, what's a comparable high quality unit?
Old 07-11-2020, 01:13 PM

I have not watched this particular video because I am not in the market for a new food processor. My 14 cup Cuisinart is 13 years old and going strong. But, I trust ATK's reviews.

I have also used these 14 cup Cuisinarts in commercial kitchens that didn't pony up for a Robot Coupe and they hold their own. General rule for a quality food processor is if you aren't terrified of dropping it on your foot then it probably isn't worth owning.

I know you said you have a 7 cup food processor, but I'd be surprised if you never wished for larger capacity. If I'm wrong then I just wasted your time and I apologize because I don't know anything about small ones and wouldn't consider owning one.

Your instinct to avoid "features" is a good one, IMO.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:15 PM

Check out the Goodwill and Salvation Army stores in your area for a replacement.
I was in the same position as you and found a new in the box Cuisinart a couple weeks ago at Goodwill for $9.99. Thrift stores are also a great place to find replacement glass coffee pots if you accidentally break one.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:03 PM

Mine's an even older Robot Coupe (from before the Cuisinart rebrand)--and I have used it to death.

I even bought new a replacement machine at one point--but it's still in the soft storage case and never been used, because the original is so much simpler.

Alas, the bowl has cracked on the original after 30 plus years--and while I wasn't looking the supply of replacement bowls for my model has dried up--drat! I would pay a premium for a replacement--but I can't find a bowl.

So my advice FWIW, if you like the way it feels, buy the parts and continue to use the old one. The new ones are made more cheaply, are more complicated and IMO, less useful...
Old 07-11-2020, 02:30 PM

Cuisinart makes good stuff, but I happen to have a Vitamix (long story), which is also good.

Look for factory refurbished, sometimes called "reconditioned", directly from the manufacturer. They can make them difficult to find, as they want you to buy new stuff directly from them or a retailer. You can save a lot of money and/or upgrade to a better model.

A good one will cost a at least a hundred bucks, but you can shave a lot off by buying refurbished, and they still come with some sort of warranty. Also, a good one will probably last a lifetime.

I've found reconditioned and demo models on sale in stores. Like after the holidays, when a new line comes out, etc. Well, back when we went to stores, anyway...

I've bought a lot of factory refurbished equipment over the years with great results - stereo equipment, food processors, etc. They've all worked great at a lower cost.

Side note - stick blenders rule. I have a Cuisinart and love it. So much easier to use and clean when a blender/food processor isn't necessary.

Last edited by reuben; 07-11-2020 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:35 PM

We have a very old Cuisinart workhorse food processor. Many of the blades were recalled because of issues a few years back, including riveted blades for the DLC-10. We got a free blade in the recall. I think you might be eligible as well:

https://recall.cuisinart.com/
Old 07-12-2020, 05:26 PM

Great, will call them Monday! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcarter View Post
We have a very old Cuisinart workhorse food processor. Many of the blades were recalled because of issues a few years back, including riveted blades for the DLC-10. We got a free blade in the recall. I think you might be eligible as well:

Old 07-12-2020, 05:56 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
Mine's an even older Robot Coupe (from before the Cuisinart rebrand)--and I have used it to death. ......
I had one of those....my mom gave it to me....I gave it to a friend when I "upgraded" to a new one....have always regretted it.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:29 PM
quadropheniac

Quote:

Thanks for the note...we have a DLC-8 Plus from 1985 (made in Japan) and it looks like the blade is recalled.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:45 PM

If it is made in Japan or France I would buy the parts and keep using it.
My son has my moms old Cuisinart 8 cup that is made in Japan and he uses it 4 or 5 times a week and it just keeps going. We did buy a new bowl and lid assembly for it a few years ago just to have as a spare but he is still using the original that is 30 years old.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:31 PM

Food for thought: even if it is more expensive to fix your current one than to buy a new one, at least it keeps it out of the landfill.

That said, if you do go new, just get the 14 cup Cuisinart. It's standard equipment for a reason.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:04 PM

New one on the way, thanks!

Quote: