Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2019, 10:01 AM

Cycling advocates protest a new bike lane in Boston

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...fenway-protest

They're protesting the bike lane because it's painted, not "protected" by a row of parked cars between it and the traffic lane. The worthlessness of painted bike lanes is now dogma among cycling advocates. They seem to believe that bicycles and cars should never share the road.

How would a segregated lane have protected the librarian who was killed there? According to the article, she "was hit and killed by a cement truck while biking to work through the five-way intersection where Park Drive and Brookline Avenue meet."
Old 07-11-2019, 10:40 AM
Randomhead

the problem with bike lanes, no matter if they are protected or not, is intersections.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
the problem with bike lanes, no matter if they are protected or not, is intersections.
Some of the "protected" lanes here in NYC are extremely dangerous at intersections, because turning drivers can't see a cyclist behind the row of parked cars until they're in the intersection already. Advocates of segregation refuse to acknowledge this.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:59 AM

There is one stretch of road on my way home that has the separate bike lane and I still choose to ride in the traffic. Its better to be seen and get honked at, than to not be seen...
Old 07-11-2019, 12:26 PM

To the OP and others linking protected lanes to meaning protected by parked cars, why is that link being made? Did not see pictures indicating that is possible or a solve for the Fens area.

There are more and far better ways to protect bike lanes. A bunch of parked cars, is as pointed out, generally a bad idea.

I lived in the Fens for 5 years and I would want to see some form of physical curbs or even plastic uprights in the buffer between the cars and bikes. Maintaining visibility as has been pointed out is important.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
The worthlessness of painted bike lanes is now dogma among cycling advocates.
Not all cycling advocates...
Old 07-11-2019, 02:14 PM
Randomhead

the lane they are protesting doesn't look that bad to me. They can stand in the painted zone and cyclists still have full use of the bike lane. As opposed to the lane closest to my house, where it's not actually legal under PA law to pass a cyclist without going out of the lane to the left. There are a number of those here. I made a public comment, but they ignore those.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:14 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

I think (MY opinion) that in cities like Boston, where parking is a premium, curbs would cut out valuable spaces. Depending on the spacing, the plastic posts might do the same.

No easy answers for older cities trying to make themselves more cycling friendly.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:19 PM

Cycling Advocates are so weird.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Cycling Advocates are so weird.
+1, a lot are. Boston has a population of over 660,000 and an estimated 100 folks showed up for the protest, that's not very impressive and shows how small the vocal cycling community actually is.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:59 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
+1, a lot are. Boston has a population of over 660,000 and an estimated 100 folks showed up for the protest, that's not very impressive and shows how small the vocal cycling community actually is.
Sure as long as you assume that the 100 is everyone that holds similar views and not a fraction.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
I think (MY opinion) that in cities like Boston, where parking is a premium, curbs would cut out valuable spaces. Depending on the spacing, the plastic posts might do the same.

No easy answers for older cities trying to make themselves more cycling friendly.

BK
Per the photos, the curbs or posts would go where the protestors are standing so no more real estate taken than already has been for the buffer space of the bike lane.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:41 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Maybe I’m confused....

If they put a curb or a row of pylons on the outer edge of the bike lane, where do the cars park?

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Maybe I’m confused....

If they put a curb or a row of pylons on the outer edge of the bike lane, where do the cars park?

BK
Like this.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:07 PM

This is right outside my office, and indeed the cyclist who died was basically right outside my window. I did not read the story you posted, but I have been involved in Improving cycling and walking infrastructure in the area. It is a horrible intersection. The immediately perpendicular road was recently repaved, with a separated lane and bollards/pylons (may be the one in the picture) - it is MUCH better than a painted lane, so far the pylons have remained in place, and as someone who as cycled it, it's awesome.

They are protesting on a very wide roadway, also recently repaved. It is, I believe, controlled by the state not the city. They should redo it the same way, it can be easily accommodated. It is not actually weird advocates IMO, it's a really good example of community organizing, with a lot of involvement by people im the health/public health professions as this abuts our major medical area.

Also to be clear no cars park on the roadway in question.

Last edited by schwa86; 07-11-2019 at 05:09 PM.