Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2015, 01:35 PM

The pros have the little red/orange jersey icons next to their names.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I may attempt a century this weekend. Probably tomorrow AM. I wish the course were longer. Something about laps of a 3 mi. virtual course triggers my PTSD and flashbacks of long races in Prospect Park. At least I can binge-watch something on Netflix.
I might do the century again tomorrow morning. Some others are starting at 8 AM EST for a metric/3 hours, figured I'd ride with them. The virtual drafting helps some.

And yes, that was the real Jens...he said on Facebook that he would be riding.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
I might do the century again tomorrow morning. Some others are starting at 8 AM EST for a metric/3 hours, figured I'd ride with them. The virtual drafting helps some.

And yes, that was the real Jens...he said on Facebook that he would be riding.
cool - thanks
But you are from NC - why would you ride indoors???

anyway I may join the "ride", probably will start earlier though
Old 02-27-2015, 01:59 PM

Anyone else on Zwift?

Well, it could be an AI drone, could be one of his kids fooling around or it could have been him. I only thought it was because he's been promoting Zwift on Facebook and later I saw a post where he said he was going to have been riding (thus a lot of riders glomming on?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiataccompli View Post
they have added some video game kind of features that seem really silly to me but maybe they're addressing the crowd they are aiming for
Please tell me these are not like Achievements or Perks on the Xbox. As in grind out something for hours on end and you get a special bonus. Spin in your 39x17 but the website adds your perk so your avatar moves as if you're in 53x10 (Speed boost!)
Old 02-27-2015, 02:37 PM
Evil Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
Please tell me these are not like Achievements or Perks on the Xbox. As in grind out something for hours on end and you get a special bonus. Spin in your 39x17 but the website adds your perk so your avatar moves as if you're in 53x10 (Speed boost!)
You get some of those, plus different-colored jerseys, bikes, and the like. So yeah....you'll love it.

But think of the self-satisfaction derived from all that saddle time!
Old 02-27-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
Sort of. But you do not have to use them. You can become undraftable, or "lighter," or provide a larger draft, or more aero, etc. You can activate the "power up" by hitting the space bar on your PC. They last for Maybe 10-20 seconds. My sense is people tend to ignore them.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:14 PM

I get those things & don't use them. For me, it's a relatively effective diversion from the inherent drudgery of indoor cycling...and, the cadence of the little climb section with some sprint lines makes for a decent larger cadence, though sometimes I just do intervals and it happens to also be logged on zwift. I'd prefer they ditch the video gamey sort of touches...just a good model & some human-based interactions when you want it is cool enough.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
cool - thanks
But you are from NC - why would you ride indoors???
It has been unseasonably cold here. Forecast tomorrow is mid 20's, warming up to just above freezing. Had enough cold 5-6 hour rides this winter.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:47 PM
Imshi Cycles

wish i had gotten in on this sooner...looks like exactly what i need to finally start riding the trainer...which i am really gonna need to start doing, considering it is snowing AGAIN here in boston...
Old 03-01-2015, 04:26 PM

I just started yesterday and it seems pretty fun so far. I think one of the problems people are complaining about with power outputs being on the high side is the generic algorithms Swift uses for basic trainers. My power tap wheel needed a spoke replaced so i have been riding on Swift using only cadence and speed from a GSC-10 and it has me close to 4 w/kg during regular efforts. My last FTP test with my power tap was only 325 with a measurement of 3.26 w/kg.

What are the keystrokes to rough house the other players? Anyone come up with any really boss finishing moves?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e0250fffd0c8af10e7c55b49959a2254.600x372x1.jpg (70.5 KB, 121 views)
Old 03-02-2015, 03:16 PM
but not really

OK, I used it a bit this morning. Fewer drops between the Stages PM and my ant + dongle this time, but still more drops than I get with TrainerRoad. I was just planning to cruise for a bit after a weekend of skiing and an incoming head cold, but I still got roped into chasing down some folks to prove to myself that I could.

It beats not doing anything, and if it's a good motivator to get off the couch, then go for it. For me, I think it'd foster bad training habits.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:52 PM

after a few rides...

Now that I have used it for a few rides I noticed a flaw I think:
There is a software glitch on downhills.

People are blasting past me when decline is over 2% when I ride at 5W/kg (ftp) - I think it is a weight related issue (145 lbs, but entered 150 for zwift). Just no equivalent to reality.

Uphills seem to be realistic.

I agree with the comment that the screen can distract from the intended workout, just as if you would do an outside group ride (don't do them).

Usually I can find some people who ride at an even pace close to the zone that I want to be in, riding with them prevents me from falling asleep.

Either way, it is a crutch until temps pass 10F.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:55 PM

This or something like it might be the reason I finally get some form of power meter. (yes, I know it works w/ fluid trainers but I'd like it to be a little more accurate).

Huge potential here.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:27 PM

I'm on the beta as well, tried it last night but apparently my integrated graphics card (intel 4000) is not up to snub powering a Macbook Pro retina. I wasn't able to find any settings to adjust graphic settings.

It was very laggy and the 'virtual power' reading from my Cycleops Fluid2 trainer was apparently using a vastly different power profile than the Trainer Road one because my power readings seemed to be quite a bit lower (subjectively based off feel).