Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2020, 09:08 PM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful View Post
Upwards of two bottles of red a night.
for me it was only one bottle of red...of course, they were the Kirkland's Cab 1.5L bottle...but was just ONE bottle!

slowing down here too...I take an SSRI also...starting to realize how much the next day I feel like crap because the two don't mix. Would quit completely but someone just gave me a nice bottle of bourbon, so I'm sipping on that.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:34 AM

Skimmed this thread a bit and wanted to say congrats to all those that have cut down or quit.

But please don't quit cold turkey if you drink a few drinks everyday. Alcohol withdrawal can kill you.

Naltrexone is also great if it's an option for you. Talk to your doctor blah blah blah
Old 07-14-2020, 03:43 AM

I have been alcohol free for over 5 years now. I was a bartender for close to 25 years and I drank a lot. I do not miss it, but, I do occasionally think to myself that a glass of wine with dinner would be nice. That is a fleeting thought. I got off numerous meds. I now have bicycles and riding as my present addiction. Life is still life, but in general, it is much better for me alcohol free.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:12 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I have 'essentially' stopped because of 3 unexplained episodes of afib, in the last 5 months, after none for 10 years..Heart docs don't know why, even after numerous heart evals/tests/etc, etc.... I even started the 'alien face hugger' gig in September(CPAP machine..I was tested low 'serious' range..35 'events of apnea per hour). Reward was a bout of afib in October..

SO..along with one episode of atrial tachycardia..I'm now on a maintenance regimen of flecaidide and diltiazem..could not tolerate metropolol BUT..kinda bad ju-ju drinking with these drugs(or so google-foo says so)..
Yup, I miss a beer in the afternoon, evening. Haven't lost one ounce...

No More Fun Of Any Kind...
I back slid a little bit. A beer, never more than 2, starting in March, about 3 times per week..Another unexplained bout of afib now, started last Saturday, 5:30..even on the meds that 'might' have prevented it so..

Ablation this coming Tuesday...doc VERY experienced, in the 500s for these..

Nice to have a possible path forward..afib for me not really life threateneing but could be and certainly no fun.

For those celebrating sobriety for any reason, congratulations..well done!

Old 07-14-2020, 07:19 AM

Peter,

You are spot on regarding Annie Grace's book. Science and Psychology in layman's terms.

That book helped save my life, YMMV.

Brad

"I highly recommend that you suggest your friend read "This Naked Mind"

Your friend mileage may vary and getting him/her to read it will be the challenge but this book was very beneficial to me.

See the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VCJh_eSGNc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOVGLV7GtOE

I hope that helps.

One of my biggest fears was how do I have fun without alcohol. I am not talking riding a bike or driving a new BMW. I am talking dinner, parties, etc.

The unconscious conditioning discussed in this book was real eye opening.

Good luck, alcohol is a killer!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Recently, a coworker confided in me that he had a drinking problem. I had even heard other employees make off-hand statements like, "if he doesn't stop, we may have to hold an intervention." He was never drunk at work; he would just look and act like the hangover.

One employee, a sweetheart of a woman, gave my coworker a book titled, The Naked Mind, by Annie Grace. She suggested he read the book to possibly assist him breaking his addiction.

Well, he got to Chapter 3 of 24 and the story of the Pitcher Plant hit him. He recognized his problem and he's stopped drinking.

His story was so interesting I found a copy of the book and I'm reading it now, even though I don't drink alcohol, just to see what he read that turned on the light for him.

Worthwhile reading for anyone seeking help.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
My screen name has my clean date in it. I should probably add 28 in the middle. Maybe we could start an on line meeting. .

Mike
Quoting myself, ticked over another year on 4/28. I know in a very deep sense that if I had continued on I would be dead. Congratulations to all others on our shared road.

Mike
Old 07-14-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
We should probably start a thread about ablations. I had one about 4ish years ago, after going lights out during an afib moment immediately after computrainer workout. Been fine since. My buddy was head of IU cardiology and hooked me up with a super experienced Doc. Really, it's a miracle 'procedure' that they can do that. Science is cool.

Back on topic.... Congrats to all who are celebrating sobriety. I've got a buddy who drank too much, was overweight and looked unhealthy. He quit alcohol 100% and switched to 'weed'. He looks 1000x better, lost weight, exercises, and seems generally more happy and satisfied with life. Others with this experience?
Old 07-14-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I back slid a little bit. A beer, never more than 2, starting in March, about 3 times per week..Another unexplained bout of afib now, started last Saturday, 5:30..even on the meds that 'might' have prevented it so..

Nice to have a possible path forward..afib for me not really life threateneing but could be and certainly no fun.

For those celebrating sobriety for any reason, congratulations..well done!

Yeah... I’m staring down an ablation as well.

Not looking forward to 4 months on blood thinners, but better than my ER trips for afib.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:15 PM

I stoped drinking alcohol 35 years ago
But My ex wife could drink more than most men ...she died of cancer it seems drinking can increases your risk .

Last edited by Fixed; 07-14-2020 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:33 PM

Withdrawal was no joke, that is for sure. I heard voices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Skimmed this thread a bit and wanted to say congrats to all those that have cut down or quit.

But please don't quit cold turkey if you drink a few drinks everyday. Alcohol withdrawal can kill you.

Naltrexone is also great if it's an option for you. Talk to your doctor blah blah blah
Old 07-14-2020, 06:00 PM

my last drink was June 7, 1977...although my decision was not made as personal growth attribute but one of desperation and the recognition that before me if I continued on the path I was on, it was not death (no fear) but a life of never ending insanity....
I am 73 and instead what I have experienced is a useful and fulfilling life (and sooo many people!) that I did not believe could have existed for me...It's had it's ups and downs but in retrospect I would not missed for the world,..it is truly about being "rocketed into the fourth dimension"..
I read this thread several times and I generally don't comment, but I was very moved by the comments of so many in such an odd place (PL)...Congratulations to all those that have stepped on the path and those that would consider it...it's is more than imaginable!...(my two cents)
Old 07-14-2020, 07:30 PM

11 years clean

I just celebrated 11 years clean in May 2020. Had about 14 years clean before and a surgery with a morphine script afterwards sent me out again for about 8 years. Being a combat medic in the Army Rangers for 7 years in the early to mid 80's I had access to pretty much all the morphine ampule's that I wanted. It did not turn out well for me after I got out.
Now after 11 years beyond my wildest dreams and it keeps getting better.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:13 PM

This is one of the most important OT threads on this forum.

Bravo, grateful (and others who have done the same).

Hang in there, brother(s, and sisters too).

Last edited by Dino Suegiù; 07-14-2020 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:31 PM

I figured if Keith Richards could stop doing heroin numerous times I could stop drinking. I say stop because if I say quit it means that's it I'm done, No mas. I haven't had a drink for eight weeks after stopping to have a hip replaced. I figured I'd start again but when I don't know. Some days I'd like to have one but that always passes and others I just don't care so I guess I'll jump off that bridge when the time comes. If it does. I know one thing for sure. If I never drink again there are going to be a lot of surprised people trying to figure out what happened. Myself included.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:39 PM

Skiezo good job man
Sadly I had a bunch of friends who would have liked to write that story today