Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2020, 09:21 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachetetm View Post
This is killing me! I need lower gearing and I was about to purchase an almost new potenza HO groupset with compact cranks , long cage and 11-32 cassette to replace my 52-36 12-29 short cage group, but if something 12 spd and silver appears I may wait. What do you think, should I wait?
I can tell you it won't be silver. I can also say it'll have a much wider range of gearing options.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
I can tell you it won't be silver. I can also say it'll have a much wider range of gearing options.
Disc only?
Old 07-13-2020, 09:28 AM

I certainly wouldn't be buying 11 speed now. I bought chorus 12 last July. It's worked flawlessly with the 48/32 and 11-34.

Anything new and silver seems unlikely.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:26 PM

Potenza only came out four year ago and already they have removed it from the lineup?
Old 07-13-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
Potenza only came out four year ago and already they have removed it from the lineup?
It seems like Centaur, in both silver and black was upgraded to 11 just after Potenza came out and immediately made Potenza a redundant group in the line-up.

campy certainly used to have a lot more levels out, and didnt seem to mind lots of overlap, but these days they seem to be slimming down the offerings.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Potenza was just a name change from Athena, and no one said they are not going to maintain the same name. What it matters is it's position in the line-up, not how it is called.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Potenza was just a name change from Athena, and no one said they are not going to maintain the same name. What it matters is it's position in the line-up, not how it is called.
Substantively, this is true. However, Campy's lineup isn't as well-known as Shimano's or SRAM's. It does make it confusing for both consumers and for shop staff. The aficionados certainly know, but more casual folks won't. I liked all the three names involved. Hope they just stick to one from here out.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Potenza replaced Athena in the line-up, but I'd argue that it wasn't just a rename. There were substantial changes in component design as well. For example, Athena used 5 arm single BCD crank, had a triple crank (with a long cage derailleur) used PowerTorque bottom brackets, and the derailleurs were all metal. Potenza used a 4 arm dual BCD cranks, Used UltraTorque bottom brackets, had short and medium cage derailleurs, and the derailleurs were partially plastic composite. So, same position in the line-up but a very different group.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Athena used 5 arm single BCD crank, had a triple crank (with a long cage derailleur) used PowerTorque bottom brackets, and the derailleurs were all metal. Potenza used a 4 arm dual BCD cranks, Used UltraTorque bottom brackets, had short and medium cage derailleurs, and the derailleurs were partially plastic composite. So, same position in the line-up but a very different group.
i dont think that's quite correct.

Athena was definitely Ultra-Torque, i know, since everyone with standard gearing jumped on the Athena compacts, which were direct plug and play with most people's UT BB's.

I think, if i remember correctly, Potenza started life as PT, but at the end went to UT as campy phased out PT all together.

Old 07-13-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattvagen View Post
i dont think that's quite correct.

Athena was definitely Ultra-Torque, i know, since everyone with standard gearing jumped on the Athena compacts, which were direct plug and play with most people's UT BB's.
I think Athena was Ultra-Torque at the beginning, but ultimately (2011?) switched to Power Torque.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:22 PM

Athena was UT at first but became Power Torque with the 14mm bolt and no self extractor. I know because I was going the buy the Triple Crankset and group but never got around to it. Then they had their issue with the thumb button that was addressed with the droopy button.

The way the marketing was for Potenza was that it was alloy but lighter and modern. Then further improved PT with the self-extracting bolts.

Centaur while not overly stated so, is a lead brick of solid metal for the crank arms. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
I think Athena was Ultra-Torque at the beginning, but ultimately (2011?) switched to Power Torque.
Quote:
Athena was UT at first but became Power Torque with the 14mm bolt and no self extractor. I know because I was going the buy the Triple Crankset and group but never got around to it. Then they had their issue with the thumb button that was addressed with the droopy button.

The way the marketing was for Potenza was that it was alloy but lighter and modern. Then further improved PT with the self-extracting bolts.

Centaur while not overly stated so, is a lead brick of solid metal for the crank arms. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
yes, you guys are right, i forgot about the "in-between" years.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:25 PM

I thought the idea of Potenza was to topple Ultegra as the king of OEM racing groupsets. I don't think the execution was there.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattvagen View Post
It seems like Centaur, in both silver and black was upgraded to 11 just after Potenza came out and immediately made Potenza a redundant group in the line-up.

campy certainly used to have a lot more levels out, and didnt seem to mind lots of overlap, but these days they seem to be slimming down the offerings.
Yeah, but Potenza had a disc option and Centaur does not. Say what you want about disc brakes but bikes with 105 and disc brakes are selling like hot cakes. Campagnolo lowest groupset with discs is now Chorus?

Me thinks they should now add Disc brakes to Centaur and just have those 4 group sets. Centaur- Chorus- Record and Super Record.

Market centaur as sitting between 105 and Ultegra, Chorus as sitting between Ultegra and Dura Ace and Record as Dura Ace or slightly above and Super Record as just above everything.

Last edited by vespasianus; 07-15-2020 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:25 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
Yeah, but Potenza had a disc option and Centaur does not. Say what you want about disc brakes but bikes with 105 and disc brakes are selling like hot cakes. Campagnolo lowest groupset with discs is now Chorus?

Me think they should now add Disc brakes to Centaur and just have those 4 group sets. Centaur- Chorus- Record and Super Record.

Market centaur as sitting between 105 and Ultegra, Chorus as sitting between Ultegra and Dura Ace and Record as Dura Ace or slightly above and Super Record as just above everything.
Today..new stuff from Campagnolo being introduced..Velopicede??