Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2018, 11:17 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

I agree that potholes, train tracks, debris, etc are a danger to cyclists, but the fact that a bicycle has a CF frame does not increase the danger you face compared to a similar bike with a non-CF frame.

If you're really worried about that sort of thing, get a bike with as fat tires as you feel you can live with. Maybe something with a suspension front fork if you really want to go soft. Maybe a 29+ or whatever.

Good Luck

Old 05-23-2018, 11:25 PM

I don’t think that streetlight produces enough lumens for my commute... and training wheels, c’mon!
Old 05-23-2018, 11:28 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaScottsy View Post
I don’t think that streetlight produces enough lumens for my commute... and training wheels, c’mon!

The training wheels can be removed, once you've demonstrated the strength to keep it upright when you stop.

I love the tiny generator on the front wheel.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. I’m used to fooling around on my way to work, jumping speed humps, bunny hopping over things and the like. While on my test rides I was disappointed to find my ability to do those kind of things lacking, but in all fairness its probably just not from me not knowing (where the line is in regards to the limits of) the bikes. The first speed hump I hit doing like 25 might as well have been a speed bump or even a small curb and I nearly got high sided.

A couple of weeks ago I inadvertently jumped over a railroad crossing and to be honest don’t know if I would have gotten away with it, not on a ti (or equally forgiving) frame. Again, I’ve taken your statement into consideration, but (knowing it’s NOT suspension) I’m excited to try some of the more compliance inducing (even if it’s just marketing snake oil) technologies from Trek and Specialized.
While its not a giant or cannondale I think your fear of carbon is a little irrational

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5eMMf11uhM

FWIW I dont own a carbon bike but not because I think theyre incapable of surviving years of riding but because I prefer metal
Old 05-24-2018, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rk540 View Post
So, carbon. It's awesome. Best overall material when taking frame design, ride "tuning" and strength to weight into account. However, if I were to only own one race/commuting/pub-going bike in a rainy place, it would be built around a titanium frame. In 5 years, there will be multiple crashes, a few chain drops and, heaven forbid, a broken rear derailleur. A rear derailleur hasn't been made which could damage a titanium frame.

Disc brakes. Well, that's another 50 page thread.
Any material can crack and break even Ti. just google it. modern carbon is much stronger now and many brands have great warranties. That said, I have a bike built out of every major material...I have been thinking about bamboo and wood...
Old 05-24-2018, 06:26 AM

Papascottsy,
Have you checked Litespeed’s website lately? They have a clearance going on now.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
Any material can crack and break even Ti. just google it. modern carbon is much stronger now and many brands have great warranties. That said, I have a bike built out of every major material...I have been thinking about bamboo and wood...
I’m excited to be trying out an Emonda in a few hours. I’m not sure where the strength discussion came from, I never stated I doubted carbon’s resilience.... but know you guys have me looking:

https://www.mtb-downhill.net/test-ca...m-vs-titanium/

Again, I’m basically an N=1 guy who spends 95% of his time on roads surrounded by cars, so no bamboo for me.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semdoug View Post
Papascottsy,
Have you checked Litespeed’s website lately? They have a clearance going on now.
Definitely!!! That’s the cause of all my last minute brain picking here... I just wanted to do my due diligence before making it happen. Adrenaline Bikes has come great deals too, but I like the components the LS builds offer, as well as the comfort in knowing I’m dealing directly with the source.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:57 AM

It baffles me, but Litespeed says "no warranty" on their closeout frames.

They're the manufacturer, and they can't warranty a test-ride bike to its new owner? F.FKs.Sake.

https://shop.litespeed.com/collectio...2-di2-frameset

Last edited by Clean39T; 05-24-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
It baffles me, but Litespeed says "no warranty" on their closeout frames.

They're the manufacturer, and they can't warranty a test-ride bike to its new owner? F.FKs.Sake.

https://shop.litespeed.com/collectio...2-di2-frameset
Hadn't noticed, that is not cool.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Hadn't noticed, that is not cool.

Seems like they now give a warranty in the full bikes; it used to be no warranty on any of the closeouts...

Tags
disc, litespeed, recommend, t3disc, titanium