Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2019, 11:21 PM

I saw the listing a day or so before it sold, was a bit surprised at what the bidding had reached. Glad to see some appreciation in the marketplace for it.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:47 PM

I couldn't believe it when I saw it crossed 2k, I figured the seller was inflating his bids and we'll know soon enough if it gets resisted. if not, pretty amazing for a second hand frame.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb5998 View Post
Retail for a Pronto was 3200USD when new, IIRC
But that included "Peace of Mind" protection: a lifetime warranty against defect in manufacture, and a Crash Protection Program. However, I doubt that the buyer is going to race this frame.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/new-...e#.XdVfcehKi70

Quote:
“First, we are confident that the Pronto will withstand the rigors of high-intensity racing better than most carbon frames," said Serotta’s founder, Ben Serotta. "Titanium is corrosive proof and impact and abrasion resistant. Secondly, there’s magic in the ride that they’re not going to find in any bike of any material that’s priced similarly.”

Last edited by fiamme red; 11-20-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
But that included "Peace of Mind" protection: a lifetime warranty against defect in manufacture, and a Crash Protection Program. However, I doubt that the buyer is going to race this frame.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/new-...e#.XdVfcehKi70
Peace of mind... The word was out that the factory was being shuttered up while mine was on the loading dock. No peace of mind there, LOL
Old 11-20-2019, 10:09 AM

Not surprised it sold for over $2k although $2850 is more than I would've expected. I sold my 54 Pronto in the "Cool Runnings" paint scheme a few years ago for $2200ish? Since then, AFAIK, herb5998's blue Pronto has been the only other 54 for sale.

So limited production + limited availability + high praise from current/previous owners + popular size + desirable paint scheme (more attractive to a larger buyer base compared to my "Cool Runnings" version) = high sale price.

Is the Pronto the new Moots Compact SL in terms of holding onto its resale value the best?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If the Pronto fit a larger tire than 700x25, I'd probably still have it. I'm just a fat tire snob now.