Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2022, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
What's the most cost effective way for a luddite (no cyclometer, GPS, smart phone, etc) to implement a Varia? I'm serious.
buy a mirror
Old 01-17-2022, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Thanks gents.

Preference for the one with a light? It seems as though it's not very bright (OK, neither am I) and my sense is to pair the one without a light with a really bright taillight vs. relying on the fact that it flashes as a signal to cars.
I have the one with the light. It is bright enough. Not Dionette Quad bright but bright enough. Couple that with smart flashing and you (write as a driver) will notice it in the dark and light.

One note I don't think the Varia works well in heavy traffic as the radar gets too many inputs. Where it shines is semi busy to quiet rural roads.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Here in NJ where i ride frequently, i find them useless. there is literally always a car back so i ride accordingly. on quiet country roads they are nice since many times you roll into a leisurely pace and ride right in the middle of the road and it's nice to be alerted well in advance that a car is coming so you can get over to the side of the road. They have kind of a "smart" flash pattern too that i have observed to really get a driver's attention better than traditional lights. I think it's a good device that has merit for sure.

Edit: Yea what joosttx said.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:
What's the most cost effective way for a luddite (no cyclometer, GPS, smart phone, etc) to implement a Varia? I'm serious.
If you don't have a Garmin or Wahoo computer, or a smart phone, then the least expensive option is to get the dedicated display unit.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:36 PM

You're going to need a display. I have Garmin on one bike. Wahoo on the other. Both systems will display the information. Or, you could use the Varia app and a cell phone. Keep in mind you'll need to mount the phone so you can see and hear it.

When I bought my new bike I bit the bullet bought the whole Garmin ecosystem. I'm very happy with it.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
If you don't have a Garmin or Wahoo computer, or a smart phone, then the least expensive option is to get the dedicated display unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
You're going to need a display. I have Garmin on one bike. Wahoo on the other. Both systems will display the information. Or, you could use the Varia app and a cell phone. Keep in mind you'll need to mount the phone so you can see and hear it.

When I bought my new bike I bit the bullet bought the whole Garmin ecosystem. I'm very happy with it.
Thank you both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
buy a mirror
Not so much.

Last edited by donevwil; 01-17-2022 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Thank you both.

Not so much.
Sorry I didn't mean to sound glib but using the Varia without adding any technology that displays or processes its signals, you will not get the benefit. Basically, the luddite version of the Varia is a cycling mirror.

Last edited by joosttx; 01-17-2022 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:00 PM
Administrator

as tomato pointed out there is a version that has a dedicated display.

that said, donevwil, i think you would enjoy having a basic garmin computer. they are super easy to use and require zero set-up, just turn them on and go. i think where you ride it would be fun to know things like max speed and elevation gain on some rides.

Old 01-17-2022, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Sorry I didn't mean to sound glib but the Varia without adding any technology that displays or processes its signals you will not get the benefit. Basically, the luddite version of the Varia is a cycling mirror.
I guess any discussion without context has little value, that's on me. I use a mirror now, have for years after getting hit from behind (or so I was told). I find myself being too focused on it and thought the Varia might permit me to focus more on the road ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
as tomato pointed out there is a version that has a dedicated display.

that said, donevwil, i think you would enjoy having a basic garmin computer. they are super easy to use and require zero set-up, just turn them on and go. i think where you ride it would be fun to know things like max speed and elevation gain on some rides.

Will look into it, thanks.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
I'd look to ride more in the center of the road (when clear). Then, I can ease over as a car is coming. This is as opposed to staying in the gutter with the debris in these winter months. The benefit being that I won't keep turning my head. I will not wear a mirror. I'm not stylish...but I have my limits.
Echoing everyone else's sentiments. I won't ride without it. I'm highlighting Lavi's approach as well, because I no longer subscribe to "take the lane" - there are too many distracted drivers out there, and you can't assume that they're going to see you and pass accordingly. I lost a close riding buddy who was hit from behind with a Varia, which highlights the fact that you still can't judge where the vehicle is in the lane behind you. For me, it gives me a second or two extra to (hopefully) get out of the way and put eyes on the vehicle that's about to pass. Sometimes I turn and look, and sometimes I pull over. (This is rural riding.)

Worth mentioning is a recent firmware update to the Varia where your head unit emits a different tone and changes back to green when all vehicles have passed. That's pretty nice.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:45 PM

I use a Take-A-Look mirror on my sunglasses, but I'm tempted to try the Varia since I already have an Elemnt. I wouldn't expect to stop using the mirror. I think what I've learned from this discussion is that the Varia tells how many vehicles are behind you. My mirror, in quick glances behind me, doesn't work as well for that.

Quote:
I guess any discussion without context has little value, that's on me. I use a mirror now, have for years after getting hit from behind (or so I was told). I find myself being too focused on it and thought the Varia might permit me to focus more on the road ahead.

Will look into it, thanks.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:07 PM
Rockstruck

I don’t think this has been said yet: unusually for a techie gadget, the thing is truly intuitive from the get-go— really zero learning curve to get the hang of how it works.

(I wish the same could be said of the rest of the garmin user interfaces.)
Old 01-17-2022, 07:19 PM
shimergo

I'll repeat all the praises everyone has on the Varia. I very rarely ride without it and if I do, it feels "off".

I'll also add if you're into the stats, download the "My Bike Radar Traffic" app on Garmin Connect IQ compatible with a number of Garmin devices.

You can see how many cars passed you on your ride, when they passed you, and the speed at which they passed you.

Link to Connect IQ app store: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/c...d-c3b871e9e733

Set up and review video by DC Rainmaker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_M4_chzKLU
Old 01-17-2022, 07:27 PM

I'm a recent Varia user and I will echo the positive. I do something a bit different and I've paired it with a Garmin Fenix watch. I wanted something that would make a sound and I can also see the green/orange/red dots when a vehicle is approaching like a head unit though on my wrist. I only wanted the audio to let me know which has worked out great. Another benefit of a watch is that it vibrates as well to let you know someone is approaching.

The plus for me is that aside from my time outside on a bike, I can use the watch for trainer rides (connected to Kickr), tracks sleep, steps, all sorts of other things like texts, maps on rides, many other activities like swim/erg/run, etc.

I didn't think I'd enjoy the Fenix or the Varia as much as I do and I will say it's 100% worth the investment for me. It doesn't replace riding alert, but it adds a layer of useful tech and safety that I welcome.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlin View Post
I'm a recent Varia user and I will echo the positive. I do something a bit different and I've paired it with a Garmin Fenix watch. I wanted something that would make a sound and I can also see the green/orange/red dots when a vehicle is approaching like a head unit though on my wrist. I only wanted the audio to let me know which has worked out great. Another benefit of a watch is that it vibrates as well to let you know someone is approaching.

The plus for me is that aside from my time outside on a bike, I can use the watch for trainer rides (connected to Kickr), tracks sleep, steps, all sorts of other things like texts, maps on rides, many other activities like swim/erg/run, etc.

I didn't think I'd enjoy the Fenix or the Varia as much as I do and I will say it's 100% worth the investment for me. It doesn't replace riding alert, but it adds a layer of useful tech and safety that I welcome.
I didn't know that Fenix will vibrate on approaching vehicle. I should pair that with the watch also in case I don't hear the beep because of wind noise.