Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-04-2021, 10:18 AM

I had been waiting on the release of that Ornot Grid Thermal jersey... I love Patagonia's ThermalWeight, or Capilene 4 as it used to be known, and this jersey is the same fabric as that. Much lighter than R1 fabric. Since my first purchase with them last year(Micro Climate Jacket) I have really grown to appreciate their stuff. The quality, colors, and their whole ethos(made local, sustainable, eco) has made me a return customer.

Somewhat back on topic... I sewed for Patagonia for a few years, and ended up making/modifying a few jackets to suit my needs. One of the projects was that I converted an R1 to a vest, and added elastic edging to the sleeve openings and hem, making it great on the bike. Additionally I added pit zips to a few puffy jackets, with cycling and hiking in mind. Down jackets are essentially built to trap heat, rather than breathe, so the pit zips allows a bit of heat to be dumped.

Patagonia made a few pieces over the years that were actually pretty well designed for this kind of insulation, although very niche... Currently, my bikepacking trips have me packing a Micropuff. They have a nice slim fit, with a rather long torso, so it doesn't ride up, and the sleeves are narrow and cut well for a cycling position. It's as warm as a Ghost Whisperer down jacket, packs as small, and you needn't worry about getting it a bit wet. My only wish is that I would have added a two way zip to it when I was there still...

Nano Air Hybrid Light. Not made to block wind, but with 40g of insulation, and a waffle knit on the back, it was incredibly light, packable, and great under a wind blocking layer down to 30 degrees on my commutes.

The Hybrid Down Jacket was great for my morning commutes, offering just enough wind blocking in the chest and arms. They also offered this with synthetic insulation, as the Nano Hybrid Jacket.

My favorite was the Dual Aspect Hoody. It was a Polartec fleece but in several areas it was built up to form a wind blocking layer. Really comfy, and really warm for it's weight.

Last edited by Upcountry; 11-04-2021 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upcountry View Post
I had been waiting on the release of that Ornot Grid Thermal jersey... I love Patagonia's ThermalWeight, or Capilene 4 as it used to be known, and this jersey is the same fabric as that. Much lighter than R1 fabric. Since my first purchase with them last year(Micro Climate Jacket) I have really grown to appreciate their stuff. The quality, colors, and their whole ethos(made local, sustainable, eco) has made me a return customer.

Somewhat back on topic... I sewed for Patagonia for a few years, and ended up making/modifying a few jackets to suit my needs. One of the projects was that I converted an R1 to a vest, and added elastic edging to the sleeve openings and hem, making it great on the bike. Additionally I added pit zips to a few puffy jackets, with cycling and hiking in mind. Down jackets are essentially built to trap heat, rather than breathe, so the pit zips allows a bit of heat to be dumped.
Pit zips rule, especially for activities like backpacking.

I'm still wearing my old lighter weight nanopuff (or something like that) that's been repaired a couple of times.

I was kinda partial to the old Capilene stuff, but I'm getting used to how the newer items compare.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Real down for use in a high output and sweaty setting is not a good idea. Down and moisture do not mix well. There are good hydrophobic treatments for down but would not work well for the type of moisture levels that hard riding would generate. Go synthetic for this application. IMHO.
This.. down seems pretty much NOT suited for cycling unless it's an ultra casual ride to the Cafe to look cool. Even for bike packing and you're only going to wear it at the end of the day you better be sure you can keep it dry if you get caught in the rain, cause if your bag leaks the down becomes a big liability vs a similar less expensive synthetic.

I have Primaloft & Down jackets/inner layers and I struggle to ever find a reason to think the Down is better other than snob value. The Primaloft one I have happens to be cut better if I was to try and wear it cycling but again still pointless. It's about 100x too warm and not breathable enough for hard cycling even if the temperature was below 20F. The cut of the down one is tighter and more fashionable which of course makes it far less useful for actual activewear and sports.

My main cycling jacket is a soft shell type thing and it works just perfectly down as far as I care to ride which is low 20s fahrenheit. Below that you start having to wear stuff that's so expensive I don't want road grime and grease getting flung on it. (E.x. gore tex Pro shell type thing that costs a ton). At that point maybe you're out on the Iditabike or something and in a 100% snow environment and you no longer care about grease stains.

IME synthetic vs down and how long it takes for the insulation to wear out or the jacket to fail has far more to do with brand than synthetic vs natural. The more fashion oriented the brand is the worse it seems to perform and the faster it stops working/falls apart and it really doesn't matter what the insulation is.

Some of the cycling pictures of garments posted look like silly marketing. You don't need down if it's warm enough you can ride without a face mask or helmet cover and you're able to ride with knit gloves. The colder it gets the more keeping the wind off every possible square inch of skin becomes the critical thing.

Last edited by benb; 11-04-2021 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-04-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
fyi - patagucci's R1 is called "grid fleece," and pry much all the techwear companies make it- im partial to rab's "power grid" fleece meself. probably because i hate patagonia.
Power Grid is a Polartec product, not something designed by Rab. Patagonia uses it in their Capilene Thermal and R1 products, for example.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:25 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedbro View Post
Power Grid is a Polartec product, not something designed by Rab. Patagonia uses it in their Capilene Thermal and R1 products, for example.
word.. the "polartec" brand badge on the hem gives it away. but i do specifically like rab's version, as rab seems to be one of the brands that consistently fits my lanky 12 year old boy figure

iirc, patagonia did pioneer the grid fleece, and everyone else has just copied the idea. credit where credits due. i shouldnt have said i hate patagonia - i actually respect em just fine as a techwear company... they make pro level ****. but for me tho, they land in a no-mans-land of value: for stuff that doesnt matter as much- base and midlayers etc- there are less expensive products that work as well. and for the stuff that matters- shells/outer layers- i just dont trust their "own design" stuff as much as gore and polartec products, which are used across the industry, not just by one company. if im dropping $600+ on a climbing shell, its gonna be somn with more battle testing
Old 11-04-2021, 07:52 PM

I have a few of the Patagonia insulated jackets - micro, macropuff etc. Some still kicking from 15 years ago. Particularly with the newer vintage stuff, I am not sure I could kill it if I tried. I generally just ignore special handling instructions on washing and it still works great!

Specifically, what synthetic insulation jacket did you have durability problems with.

My vote would be to pick the Patagonia synthetic weight that works best for you and it will be ultra durable/reliable for many years to come.
Old 11-05-2021, 07:08 AM

I've always been happy with Pearl Izumi Rove and Versa lines of clothing for more casual looks with bike specific features. Here's one example: https://www.pearlizumi.com/products/...oodie-19131702

But this is PL and Pearl Izumi gets no love :'-(

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2021, 07:27 AM

Louis Garneau also gets the job done really well at a really good price.

Canadians get winter.
Old 11-05-2021, 07:42 AM

I wear this for my chilly morning commutes: https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1202...1&csp=f&pos=81

No real cycling features to speak of, but it gets the job done for my personal situation.
Old 11-10-2021, 03:36 AM

https://www.provizsports.com/en-gb/r...fd&fo_s=criteo

be warm and be seen in the dark
Old 11-10-2021, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimon View Post
I don't know about you but I don't ride outside below my age. currently, that's 48
Ha, Ha! I’m with you, except I’m 63. Yup, that’s about as cold as I go!🤪

Last edited by quattro; 11-10-2021 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Age
Old 11-11-2021, 06:28 PM

I had no idea a down insulated bike jacket even existed. I ride nearly every day in New England, winter commute temps frequently below 32, occasionally below 0. Have never needed down. Nor would it be a good material for aerobic activity, IMO.

If you wanted such a jacket, I would think a version of the hybrid jackets that I see now might be best: insulated torso, soft shell / laminate sleeves. But I'd stick with synthetic.
Old 11-22-2021, 11:17 AM

Condor Cycles in the UK has a good selection of cycling-specific insulated jackets - some down, some primaloft.

They do ship to the US and Canada.

No affiliation etc.

https://www.condorcycles.com/collect...eid=101280fb6a

Greyfox
Old 11-22-2021, 03:59 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
My Descente Bobolink jacket is probably ready for retirement very soon. It's more casual looking so I can wear it for non riding trips which will be the main purpose of the jacket.

Looking to replace it with something down filled since the synthetic stuff seems to wear out quickly.
disclaimer: i never used down clothing on a bicycle (used it a lot while mountaineering).

In my experience, the main advantage of down over synthetic fibre is weight and the ability to pack really small. Robustness is *not* the first thing that comes to mind when talking about down gear, rather the opposite. It hates getting wet, rip a seam and its a puffy cloud in the wind. In order to get min weight, down gear often has *very* lightweight hull material. Very hard to wash (harder than synthetic).

Down is very good for keeping you warm. It does nothing against wind. Correct my if i'm wrong, but this is the opposite of what is required for cycling in the cold, a good wind protection is "half the rent paid" as we say in our neck of the woods. ?!

Last edited by martl; 11-22-2021 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:02 PM

New Albion Zoa looks superb.

https://www.albioncycling.com/produc...jacket-orange/

Fit isn't overly bikey:

But is still bikey enough: