Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
A topic that cleanly splits along political lines getting locked? No way.
ripvanrando provided the perspective of a hunter without stating his political preferences, so I don’t necessarily think this splits evenly along political lines. But I’m not an expert in the subject.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
The rednecks in Idaho think they have a god given right to use the land to raise animals and they only care about their profit and livelihood. To them the wolves are just a nuisance and increased cost. They either don’t believe in science or simply don’t care, and will rape the environment and eco system all day every way as long as it makes them a buck. They will kill a wolf like swatting a fly and it means nothing to them, they’ll sleep like a baby that night and dream happily about Christian Conservative hegemony and whatever other crap they typically get off on.

Well as an old redneck farm boy comments like this just make me laugh and feel sorry for you at the same time.

If only things were so simple......

Not that I necessarily agree with just killing off the wolves but I do respect farmers rights too and know there has to be a balance.

Where I do wholeheartedly agree with a lot of folks from Idaho is the whole "please stay in California" thing. We're fighting the same sickness here in northern Utah.

Last edited by jamesdak; 05-06-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:07 PM
The B!

kinda feels like the problem is ranchers expect the land to be sanitized of predators so they dont have to take responsibility for protecting their herds. thats how the white man's been doing it for at least a 1500 years, but its lazy and has driven predators to extinction in many corners of the globe which has its own consequences.

seems to me like the solution is to allow shooting of any predator attacking a herd/flock, while keeping "hunting" of wolves prohibited. so sorry that you'll have to guard your stock, i guess

For a historical perspective, I suggest Cormac McCarthy’s “The Crossing”..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
... I don’t necessarily think this splits evenly along political lines.
Seriously?
Old 05-06-2021, 12:09 PM

Here is some information about the history of reintroducing wolves to Idaho beginning in 1995. The unintended consequences were pretty staggering.

https://idrange.org/range-stories/no...tion-in-idaho/
Old 05-06-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/a...mp_readtherest

It looks like the issue is really a proxy war between ranchers and conservationists, but that might be a simplistic reading.

Anyone live in Idaho or have a better grasp on the subject?
Seems extreme to me and the flip side of that may be getting the wolves relisted.....
Old 05-06-2021, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The rednecks in Idaho think they have a god given right to use the land to raise animals and they only care about their profit and livelihood. To them the wolves are just a nuisance and increased cost. They either don’t believe in science or simply don’t care, and will rape the environment and eco system all day every way as long as it makes them a buck. They will kill a wolf like swatting a fly and it means nothing to them, they’ll sleep like a baby that night and dream happily about Christian Conservative hegemony and whatever other crap they typically get off on.
Quote:

If the mods want to lock the thread because someone is posting factual information then go for it but it’s a real snowflake move imo.
There is a fair way to make a point, a civil way and a respectful way, and then there is the idea that you can insult whoever you want to drive your point home with derogatory remarks and wild generalizations.

I guess this snowflake wont lock the thread just yet, but you're done here mtech.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
There is a fair way to make a point, a civil way and a respectful way, and then there is the idea that you can insult whoever you want to drive your point home with derogatory remarks and wild generalizations.

I guess this snowflake wont lock the thread just yet, but you're done here mtech.
While I agree Mike could’ve (and should’ve) phrased things much more diplomatically, I think he’s added a lot of valuable insight in the time I’ve been on this Forum. It’s not my call, but I’m hopeful there’s an opportunity for redemption.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
Here is some information about the history of reintroducing wolves to Idaho beginning in 1995. The unintended consequences were pretty staggering.

https://idrange.org/range-stories/no...tion-in-idaho/
I've been reading up and studying on the issue for years and just don't see any easy solution and nothing that will please everyone. It's also hard to sort through all the documentation on what's out there and view it all objectively. I totally get ranchers concerns as well as unwarranted fears. But on the flip side as a nature wildlife photographer I love the idea of more wolves out there for me to work.

Lot's of talk from old rancher friends here in Utah about this also. And yes most of the old boys want them all exterminated. But they are still my friends. Reality is they will be a problem here shortly. Officially they are no wolves in Utah but yeah....they're here. I've seen a black one in an area not 5 miles from the house where there's a high concentration of deer and Elk. Just waiting for the day I see one with a camera in hand.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:20 PM

The general idea of it being their land to use and they can do anything they want with it kinda bothers me. I used to think this way. But as I got older, I don't think that way anymore. I don't think of myself as a Christian, but seems to me we are part of something bigger. Maybe the native Americans and their view of the land was better. My brothers and I inherited a 100 acre farm in Western NC, and our dad had the view it was his to do what he wanted. My brothers and I think we are just stewards of the land. A heavy topic. Interesting, but keep it respectful.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:21 PM

Wolves are controversial in France and northern Spain too.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56530714
Old 05-06-2021, 12:26 PM
Steel..what else??

Remember when they wanted to drain the Everglades......

Last edited by Big Dan; 05-06-2021 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:32 PM

Wealthy ranchers with subsidized grazing permits on land stolen from tribes crying about having to deal with one or two cattle lost from wolves per year (although they can rarely prove the cause of the deaths) will never not be both funny and infuriating to me.

Unfortunately, like most land use issues in the inter-mountain west, bills like this are a combination of virtue signaling about western heritage and catering to well-off special interests (big game hunters and agribusiness). Nothing new here.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Pines View Post
Wealthy ranchers with subsidized grazing permits on land stolen from tribes crying about having to deal with one or two cattle lost from wolves per year (although they can rarely prove the cause of the deaths) will never not be both funny and infuriating to me.

Unfortunately, like most land use issues in the inter-mountain west, bills like this are a combination of virtue signaling about western heritage and catering to well-off special interests (big game hunters and agribusiness). Nothing new here.
That's kind of 93% of my feeling on it.
Closed Thread