Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2022, 11:55 AM

Just spoke with Carl about the geometry on my new Pursuit. As I am not set on a group set the options are puzzling. Sram eTap he has some in stock and more coming soon. I like the shift setup but have never had any Sram stuff. Shimano he says won't even give him a due date. Sounds like close to a year! Campy EPS is shipping by March he says. I already have Chorus and Record on my bikes so I lean that way. However, it is the most expensive and I fear a revision is on its way. Arrgghh! Any input would be appreciated.

Tim
Old 01-18-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Just spoke with Carl about the geometry on my new Pursuit. As I am not set on a group set the options are puzzling. Sram eTap he has some in stock and more coming soon. I like the shift setup but have never had any Sram stuff. Shimano he says won't even give him a due date. Sounds like close to a year! Campy EPS is shipping by March he says. I already have Chorus and Record on my bikes so I lean that way. However, it is the most expensive and I fear a revision is on its way. Arrgghh! Any input would be appreciated.

Tim
Does he offer any options for making the frameset able to take Di2, ETap, and mech without having unused stops hanging out off the DT? Holes for Di2 should be easy. HT mounted removeable stops for mech should also be easy, but few seem willing to do it. If it were me, I'd commit to electronic if you're doing disc and have holes for Di2/EPS since those are easy to hide with flat rubber plugs. And I'd start with SRAM because it's easiest to get and EPS is a little long in the tooth at this point.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:25 PM

Agree with Clean on going Etap/AXS first so long as you can get the ports for EPS/Di2. I’ve tried all the electronic options and if you like EPS I’d be surprised to hear you not liking SRAM electronic. It’s very intuitive and easy to use. Also easy to install and maintain. Only reason to go Campy EPS imho might be the braking with discs. Others could give a better opinion on this as I’ve not tried EPS V4 Disc or AXS disc so I’m working from the collective comments I’ve read/heard from riding buddies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
Agree with Clean on going Etap/AXS first so long as you can get the ports for EPS/Di2. I’ve tried all the electronic options and if you like EPS I’d be surprised to hear you not liking SRAM electronic. It’s very intuitive and easy to use. Also easy to install and maintain. Only reason to go Campy EPS imho might be the braking with discs. Others could give a better opinion on this as I’ve not tried EPS V4 Disc or AXS disc so I’m working from the collective comments I’ve read/heard from riding buddies.

The braking with Campagnolo is excellent and superior to the braking with the 9100 series. As much as I hate to say this, EPS shifting is inferior to Shimano 11 speed and I can't yet compare 12 speed Shimano to Campagnolo. Unfortunately, I cannot compare Campagnolo to SRAM since I don't have a bike with either eTap or AXS.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:38 PM

I didn’t see this mentioned, perhaps I missed it - what is the current turnaround time for Pursuit?
Old 01-18-2022, 12:40 PM
Deconditioned!

I'm an eTap dude so I'd vote for that. You won't be unhappy. Sure, get holes for whatever the future may hold.

Also for Sram, it may not be super popular, but I prefer the rim brake setup...and then use mech discs. I like the ergos of the rim brake hoods (less bulbous) over the hydro levers. Mech disc is easier to setup and maintain over hydro! I've had both Paul Klampers and TRP Spyres for mech discs. The Pauls are great but not inexpensive. TRP Spyres work so well and are a pleasure to set up.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:

Tim
Something to consider is how long the wait is for the frame to get built. I would expect a revision to Campy in not too long since the shifting has been the same for a long time. I can give you some insights on Campagnolo versus 9200 in a few weeks. Aside from thinking that AXS does not look as good as the other options, I have no personal insight into it. Most people I know who have AXS like it, but there have been some grumbles about the front shifting. FWIW, I'll probably be getting AXS for a rim brake bike at some point in the future and have no reservations about getting it.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwerziou View Post
I didn’t see this mentioned, perhaps I missed it - what is the current turnaround time for Pursuit?
Two to three months. As the group choice affects which ports the frame has I need to make the component decision soon.

Tim
Old 01-18-2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Two to three months. As the group choice affects which ports the frame has I need to make the component decision soon.

Tim
My vote would be, assuming you are ok with SRAM aesthetics, is to go with AXS and get the ports for running Shimano in case you ever want to switch.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Rider View Post
The braking with Campagnolo is excellent and superior to the braking with the 9100 series. As much as I hate to say this, EPS shifting is inferior to Shimano 11 speed and I can't yet compare 12 speed Shimano to Campagnolo. Unfortunately, I cannot compare Campagnolo to SRAM since I don't have a bike with either eTap or AXS.

Agree that the di2 11 speed equivalent is a touch better than EPS but it’s not enough, imho, to not go with EPS. Di2 11 speed (R8000/9100) is about as good as it can get. I say this because I literally don’t know what you could do to improve it. It just works!

Old 01-18-2022, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Rider View Post
My vote would be, assuming you are ok with SRAM aesthetics, is to go with AXS and get the ports for running Shimano in case you ever want to switch.
I also contacted Dave Kirk and he loves the eTap stuff. If I go that way I would have Carl include ports on the CS and ST for Di2...just in case.

Tim
Old 01-18-2022, 05:42 PM

Coming in a bit late, but I’d say go with Campagnolo, especially if you’re already equipped. Carl designs some sweet bikes and it will be worth the wait.

Old 01-19-2022, 02:37 PM

Not to muddy the waters ... but have you considered a BASTION?
Seems like you get the best of both worlds .. Lugged Carbon with 3D printed Titanium lugs! SWEET!!!!

Last edited by kitsnob; 01-19-2022 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-19-2022, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsnob View Post
Not to muddy the waters ... but have you considered a BASTION?
Seems like you get the best of both worlds .. Lugged Carbon with 3D printed Titanium lugs! SWEET!!!!
I already have a 9 year old Seven 622 SLX. Ti lugs are not 3D printed but, so much the better. I’ll be keeping that one and selling my Seven Axiom. Two bikes is plenty for me.

Tim
Old 07-30-2022, 02:58 PM

Just reread this thread for the second, maybe third time. My wonderful wife just encouraged me to go the full custom carbon route after we got some happy financial news. I’m pretty much set on going Argo or Pursuit with SRAM AXS (and possibly ports for Di2). I’ve had a disc fusion in the past and can’t rule out needing another down the line, so want to ask Ben and Carl about their approach to relaxed geometries, in addition to lead times. More when I’ve heard back. Would of course love to see pics of bikes that fall on the more relaxed end of the spectrum, while still fast road rides.

Last edited by Tramp; 07-30-2022 at 05:06 PM.