Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-09-2021, 07:09 PM

They sound to me like a typical small business trying to survive in these trying times. Like most, they probably don't have enough working capital to stock every single thing someone might want, so instead either order it after you order it from them, or have some items drop shipped to the buyer. Totally understandable. They sound like the kind of place this forum often times say they wish to support. Some good guys tying to make it. People bemoan the demise of the LBS, but get frustrated dealing with them sometimes. A bike shop is a tough business....trying to compete with others...can't get product, etc.

Last edited by Ralph; 07-09-2021 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-10-2021, 01:03 AM

Clive, the owner is extremely knowledgeable about Campagnolo and also Pinarello. I bought an F10 from them, and my buddy also bought an F10 from them. Mine was in stock and shipped immediately, they ordered his and he got it within 4 weeks. This was Pre-Covid. Clive has helped me out with obscure Pinarello small parts on a number of occasions.

Maybe I am lucky, but I have had nothing but good experiences over about a 10 year run with them.

Yes I have had to wait for them to order things, but nothing unreasonable.

Stephen
Old 07-10-2021, 06:04 AM

I bought a complete bike from them a couple years ago. It was with custom paint and had to be ordered from the factory. They told me 6 weeks, and I think it was 6 weeks exactly. And they communicated frequently and had a great price. I would recommend them. I think right now, anything you order you have to be tolerant due to manufacturer shortages and delays.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:38 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
They sound to me like a typical small business trying to survive in these trying times. Like most, they probably don't have enough working capital to stock every single thing someone might want, so instead either order it after you order it from them, or have some items drop shipped to the buyer. Totally understandable. They sound like the kind of place this forum often times say they wish to support. Some good guys tying to make it. People bemoan the demise of the LBS, but get frustrated dealing with them sometimes. A bike shop is a tough business....trying to compete with others...can't get product, etc.
I would hate to have to rely on getting inventory and volume, to survive..these last 18-20 months or so. Tough all around but if 'local' gotta rely on service but even that's tough if no inventory of 'consumables'.

I'm in the same boat, sorta, with spokes and sometimes rims...My favorites are sometimes hard or impossible to find, at any price(DT511/32h right now..that isn't $180 per plus ship)...manufacturers just now getting raw materials, manufacturers just now making product but still less than pre covid and YUGE backorders..from BIG companies that have BIG accounts, who will get serviced first.
Old 07-10-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
Before March 2020, they carried very little and had to order everything. I doubt that has changed.
This has been the 'issue' with them historically. I have bought a number of things from them. Staff is very knowledgeable, and I have found them to be communicative and helpful, though, you will likely wait for your order. haven't ordered from them since the beginning of the pandemic, so I suppose you will wait for most things these days form most places. I've been calling online retailers to confirm stock, and this has helped a lot!
Old 01-17-2022, 10:27 PM
Deconditioned!

Bumping this up as a PSA. I've ordered from them in the past without issue. And, they are responsive and knowledgeable.

HOW****ingEVER, my most recent order, all items were shown "in stock".... is stuck. After a week with zero communication from them, I reached out. Turns out only 1 of the three items I ordered is actually in stock. The rest is the totally lame game of place the order, TAKE THE MONEY, and then order the bits from their supplier.

What I appreciate about stores like Compet Cyclist/Backcountry is that they don't charge a person's card until the order is actually filled. Imagine that. Responsible business practices.

This is complete bull****. Either mark it in stock (because it's sitting on the damn shelf), or don't.

This really chaps my hide because they have delivery/stock messages on many many items. So if they say they won't have a certain doodad in stock until xx/xx/xx, why not say that for other items?

So, I'd say to use them....BUT call/email to see if the thing actually is there. Else, be prepared to grow old and die waiting.

And no, I wasn't looking for some unobtanium thing. I was ordering what are basically consumables or small "tools".
Old 01-18-2022, 09:37 AM

I ordered 5 days ago with delivery expected today. I will update later today. Updated: arrived today.

Got my derailleur ordered the same day from Condor in the UK yesterday.

Jeff

Last edited by jlwdm; 01-18-2022 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 01:32 PM

A few small dealings with Glory (pre-covid) was fine.
Old 01-18-2022, 01:42 PM

I’ve had a horrendous experience with them. They were *extremely* slow to give me a refund for an item they could not deliver (mistake of some kind on their website) and I gave them a poor but not vindictive review on facebook. The owner, who appears to be some sort of sociopath, then cyber-stalked me and gave my place of employment a bad retaliatory review, which of course he had never been a client of, and called me out by name to attempt to get me in trouble with my employers. I’ve since heard from multiple other consumers that all is well as long as there are no complications with your order but if there are, look out - S K E T C H Y.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:37 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Bumping this up as a PSA. I've ordered from them in the past without issue. And, they are responsive and knowledgeable.

HOW****ingEVER, my most recent order, all items were shown "in stock".... is stuck. After a week with zero communication from them, I reached out. Turns out only 1 of the three items I ordered is actually in stock. The rest is the totally lame game of place the order, TAKE THE MONEY, and then order the bits from their supplier.

What I appreciate about stores like Compet Cyclist/Backcountry is that they don't charge a person's card until the order is actually filled. Imagine that. Responsible business practices.

This is complete bull****. Either mark it in stock (because it's sitting on the damn shelf), or don't.

This really chaps my hide because they have delivery/stock messages on many many items. So if they say they won't have a certain doodad in stock until xx/xx/xx, why not say that for other items?

So, I'd say to use them....BUT call/email to see if the thing actually is there. Else, be prepared to grow old and die waiting.

And no, I wasn't looking for some unobtanium thing. I was ordering what are basically consumables or small "tools".

There are a few posts about my experience with these guys. One of the worst experiences I ever had buying anything.

Yes some people have had good experiences but look online and see how many BAD experiences ppl have had. There is no reason to continue to support these people when there are so many better shops out there. Support the good shops and stop giving money to these asshats.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwerziou View Post
I’ve had a horrendous experience with them. They were *extremely* slow to give me a refund for an item they could not deliver (mistake of some kind on their website) and I gave them a poor but not vindictive review on facebook. The owner, who appears to be some sort of sociopath, then cyber-stalked me and gave my place of employment a bad retaliatory review, which of course he had never been a client of, and called me out by name to attempt to get me in trouble with my employers. I’ve since heard from multiple other consumers that all is well as long as there are no complications with your order but if there are, look out - S K E T C H Y.

This is just insane! This guy has a fairly active online presence as well, (reviews on YouTube, etc) so you would think he would want to protect his reputation. But this definitely crosses a line between reputation management and vindictiveness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2022, 03:29 PM

Yes, it was completely insane.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:39 PM

Sometimes I wonder how these guys (or this guy) have survived for this long with this MO. I mean, in 2006 i ordered a 928 L’una from him after calling and confirming that they had it on hand.
After a week or so w/o shipment info i called and was told that it would ship soon. Well after a month it did not and I had to really pressure to get my money back.

So if they really have the item in stock, it is all great, they ship timely, all good. However if the item is not in stock or larger ticket item, the mo is to take your money and place the order with a distributor, wait then ship out. Nowadays with the parts shortage that is non-sense given the extended wait times for parts etc.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:13 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnny View Post
Sometimes I wonder how these guys (or this guy) have survived for this long with this MO. I mean, in 2006 i ordered a 928 L’una from him after calling and confirming that they had it on hand.
After a week or so w/o shipment info i called and was told that it would ship soon. Well after a month it did not and I had to really pressure to get my money back.

So if they really have the item in stock, it is all great, they ship timely, all good. However if the item is not in stock or larger ticket item, the mo is to take your money and place the order with a distributor, wait then ship out. Nowadays with the parts shortage that is non-sense given the extended wait times for parts etc.
It blows my mind as well. But there is also the people that buy a pair of brake pads and sing them praises.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:17 PM
Administrator

I am thankful for threads like this. I know I would not do business with them now!