Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2022, 03:15 PM

I have tinnitus now. Some days it is much worse than others. I *feel like* there is a correlation with my fatigue level, but I cannot be sure.

I've been progressively losing my hearing ability over the past 5 years or so. I finally got tested a few years ago and my high frequency hearing is shot. Also, they noticed that one of my eardrums had burst at some point in the past. The audiologist was surprised at my hearing loss given my age (48 at the time). I cannot pin any trauma down to one incident, but I guess that years of chainsaws, heavy equipment, and a bit of blasting (in my early 20s), coupled with relaxed hearing protection, did me in.

I now have Oticon hearing aids, but I am reluctant to wear them. I should wear them more often (and my wife reminds me of this- rightly so). I usually only wear them when I teach in person, or in meetings. My hearing deficiencies are the worst in group settings. Restaurants are horrible for me.

And yeah, the hearing aids were ridiculously expensive. I think I paid ~5k. That would've been a nice bike

Bud
Old 01-20-2022, 03:29 PM

The cycling tips article confirmed what I expected - the wind noise during cycling isn't good for you. I've really begun to notice it. After 100,000 miles it's a bit late to fix.

Good to know I'm not alone with this issue.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:13 PM

I'm deaf in one ear and have severe to profound hearing loss in the other due to military service. I also have tinnitus in both ears, the good and deaf one. The ENT's in the VA and civilian hospitals attribute my tinnitus to nerve damage from repeated exposure to gunfire and explosions and have said there is no cure. I've met with quite a few over the years and none have told me that hearing aids, I wear one in my good ear, cure tinnitus. I'd seek a second opinion if your ENT or audiologist claims otherwise.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:51 PM

I've had it my whole life, so I'm used to it. It's less noticeably with aids, but not gone. I've had them for 10-12 years. Knew I needed them well before that. My old aids with open dome (Oticon) did a pretty good job. New aids (Signia) lessened with a closed dome, but not much if anything with an open. Still not quite done with adjustments though.

I don't wear them while riding. They can be set to block out most wind noise but moisture is a problem. Some more than others but I wouldn't recommend any. As mentioned, also pricy. Not worth the risk of damage or loss.

I wouldn't get them just for tinnitus. I would recommend them to anyone who has any significant loss.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:29 PM

I've been noticing tinnitus lately--but it is one of those things that creeps up on you, so I can't say how much worse it is--I only started noticing the past year or so (actually it was going in for an annual medical that made me think it was worth mentioning).

I'm losing the high end, and conversations with people with quiet voices can be challenging--but 70 is just around the corner, so I can't really complain too much...

I may look into wearing something while riding--I have been pretty good about wearing proper ear muffs for many years when I'm using power tools, the lawnmower/leafblower/chainsaw etc. but I'm definitely getting more of the consistent buzzing/ringing....
Old 01-20-2022, 05:33 PM

I’ve tried ear plugs but don’t like them when riding. Custom in ear monitors do the trick but then I’m listening to music for hours and literally can’t hear anything on the bike.

The things that attach to the helmet strap seems they would help but haven’t tried them yet.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:44 PM

I’m 62 and have worn hearing aids for 8 years. Short version of my long story - go to Costco. You’ll get tremendous service and save a TON of money. Free hearing test that was better than the $300 hearing test I paid the local ENT to do. No sales pressure as no one earns a commission - it’s clearly stated on signs in the H/A department.

State of the art Bluetooth hearing aids for $2,500 or less - for a pair. My health insurance pays $1,500 every 5 years so I’m now 3 years into my 2nd (improved technology) pair. I’ll upgrade again in 2 years.

Costco - highly recommended!

Just a happy customer,

Gary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2022, 08:41 PM

2nd the Costco route.
Old 01-20-2022, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
The things that attach to the helmet strap seems they would help but haven’t tried them yet.
I've been using these for a couple of years to allow me to hear aporaching cars faster. They look stupid, but they work. They were designed by an audiologist to help prevent hearing loss from loud wind noise.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:51 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
No experience but I have it as well and think a good portion of the damage came from hours on the bike at high speeds…

Time for a test soon too.
that's been my guess as well. I've been to very few rock concerts in my life, so it isn't that.

Shooting M16s for Uncle Sam probably contributed as well. They didn't give us very good hearing protection

M
Old 01-20-2022, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishrabbi View Post
I've been using these for a couple of years to allow me to hear aporaching cars faster. They look stupid, but they work. They were designed by an audiologist to help prevent hearing loss from loud wind noise.
FUZZY HELMET STRAP WRAPS

I suffer from tinnitus also, have for years but it’s not as bad as much as some of you suffer with it. A number of years ago I noticed that my tinnitus was much worse after bike rides so I got some of those fuzzy things for the helmet straps. And they noticeably cut down on wind noise (30-50% pure guess?) and the resulting worsening of my tinnitus after rides went away.

So if you suffer from tinnitus, $15 is a small price to pay. Yes, they look funny, but who cares if it saves your hearing some! And as soon as Peter Sagan shows up wearing some, you’ll all run out and get some.
Old 01-21-2022, 04:33 PM
Retired!

I suppose riding with the wind in my ears hasn't been beneficial but for me, it's mostly due to decades as an air traffic controller wearing an earpiece in my left ear (which is where my tinnitus resides). I mostly don't notice it unless I happen to think about it although there are the occasional times where it's quite loud and affects my hearing a some.

Kevin g
Old 01-21-2022, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Still waiting for the "I have it and this is what I did to resolve it" crowd to chime in.
i have it, have had it since 2009 when i did something. don't know what.
it has been almost suicidally debilitating.
14khz screaming

i've found recently that any amount of excess salt, certain spices (although i haven't determined which ones) and just about any amount of processed sugar exacerbates the ringing dramatically.
soy sauce will destroy me. that's how i figured out the salt component. i went for japanese dinner.

as well, i think wheat may also play a part.

i can actually get on the indoor trainer, do an hour - 1.5 hrs of high intensity riding. sweat like a waterfall, and after a few hours the ringing is dramatically reduced. to a point where i barely notice it.
which makes sense, because that kind of thing will get rid of excess sodium and balance the blood sugar levels.

there's also a YT channel called "liam treats tinnitus". you might want to check that out.

you may also want to consult a chiropractor. i've heard about people getting good results.
possibly certain suppliments may help. magnesium L-threonate, and pretty much anything that relaxes the nervous system.
definitely stay away from processed foods with MSG and aspartame.

Last edited by Kingson; 01-21-2022 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:38 AM

https://trudenta.com/this-simple-tri...with-tinnitus/

Have you all ever tried this? It’s not permanent by any means but I cried the first time I tried it, silence for the first time in many years.

But the best solution is to get it out of your head.

I have lingering theories that diet might also be involved, but only personal experience, if I treat myself like garbage diet wise I start noticing it more.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingson View Post
i have it, have had it since 2009 when i did something. don't know what.
it has been almost suicidally debilitating.
14khz screaming

i've found recently that any amount of excess salt, certain spices (although i haven't determined which ones) and just about any amount of processed sugar exacerbates the ringing dramatically.
soy sauce will destroy me. that's how i figured out the salt component. i went for japanese dinner.

as well, i think wheat may also play a part.

i can actually get on the indoor trainer, do an hour - 1.5 hrs of high intensity riding. sweat like a waterfall, and after a few hours the ringing is dramatically reduced. to a point where i barely notice it.
which makes sense, because that kind of thing will get rid of excess sodium and balance the blood sugar levels.

there's also a YT channel called "liam treats tinnitus". you might want to check that out.

you may also want to consult a chiropractor. i've heard about people getting good results.
possibly certain suppliments may help. magnesium L-threonate, and pretty much anything that relaxes the nervous system.
definitely stay away from processed foods with MSG and aspartame.

Interesting. No aspertame but plenty of salt,soy, and sugar in my diet. Never noticed a tie in. I guess a salt fast would help to answer that.