Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2022, 12:26 PM

I've hit some washboard so hard when blinded by fatigue, eye-sweat and ignorance that your mother felt it.

There is no way I would trust low spoke wheels on my dirt rides. The abyss is a long way to crawl out from when stuck in bfn with a broken wheel.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
The abyss is a long way to crawl out from when stuck in bfn with a broken wheel.
There's your problem. One does not crawl back from the abyss, one claws their way back from the abyss.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:30 PM

yeah to follow, I've done more damage on roads to my wheels, square edge potholes you couldn't avoid (racing or group rides or not paying attn for example) than on gravel (dirt/gravel tends to have a slope to it on holes) and the tires (I have 43s and 2.1s depending) absorb a lot of issues. I've chattered teeth and spine downhills at 40+ due to ignorance of terrain on gravel washboard/stutterbumps with no ill effects (well other than mentally, some hills your first time down is the fastest).
Old 01-20-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
some hills your first time down is the fastest.
It's still January but I nominate this for quote of the year.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
yeah to follow, I've done more damage on roads to my wheels, square edge potholes you couldn't avoid (racing or group rides or not paying attn for example) than on gravel (dirt/gravel tends to have a slope to it on holes) and the tires (I have 43s and 2.1s depending) absorb a lot of issues. I've chattered teeth and spine downhills at 40+ due to ignorance of terrain on gravel washboard/stutterbumps with no ill effects (well other than mentally, some hills your first time down is the fastest).
Yeah, that's when I contemplate things like my life choices, and how good of a job did I do assembling the bike...
Old 01-20-2022, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
The worst paved road rides I have been on are still smoother than a typical gravel ride.
For the year that I lived in rural North-central Massachusetts, a fair number of the "gravel" dirt roads were smoother than the potholed-to-heck, badly cracked / unrepaired "pavement" roads. Fantastic riding, though, when it wasn't covered in snow and ice.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:36 PM

Great question, OP!

Have gone through similar musings myself as I've also got a few sets of Zonda's and had to find a wheelset for my rim brake flat bar gravel/commuter.

I do think the Zonda's will work despite the low spoke count. The straight pull spokes, thickened rim around spoke holes and square profile are all in its favor.

Personally I ended up buying a set of Shimano RS100 (tiagra level) rim brake wheels. They are stupidly cheap, C17 and come with very good skewers. What is not publicized is that the rear rim is actually an offset rim so it is very stiff and evenly tensioned indeed (24h laced 2x on both sides). The front is 20h radial. Steel freehub, cup-cone bearings......
Old 01-21-2022, 09:01 AM
n - 1

Interesting that the Ksyrium is intended for off-road use and even 1/2 foot jumps! (Which doubles my PR)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 66444C16-1777-4DAD-8A83-6FFB0544FCF5.jpeg (81.8 KB, 126 views)
Old 01-21-2022, 09:12 AM

120kg and off road jumps... those are strong wheels
Old 01-21-2022, 09:24 AM
n - 1

In worst case scenario, and I do break a spoke in the middle of nowhere, have any of you used this fiber fix as a “get me home” repair?

https://www.performancebike.com/fibe...RoC-noQAvD_BwE
Old 01-21-2022, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
In worst case scenario, and I do break a spoke in the middle of nowhere, have any of you used this fiber fix as a “get me home” repair?

https://www.performancebike.com/fibe...RoC-noQAvD_BwE
realistically, i think you're overthinking it. modern pre-built wheels have proven themselves to be extremely reliable. i dont think you'll have to worry about breaking a spoke on any of these new wheels.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:40 AM
Administrator

it's too bad i dont think they make them anymore, but for a very brief period mavic made these in rim brake allroad configuration. i put a LOT of trouble free miles on these wheels including some light credit card touring and they performed beautifully. i also remember them as being one of the easiest wheels i've set up tubeless.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:31 AM
n - 1

I think I will order the Ksyriums. And a pair of Panaracer GK SK’s.

Thanks all.
Old 01-23-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
I've hit some washboard so hard when blinded by fatigue, eye-sweat and ignorance that your mother felt it.

There is no way I would trust low spoke wheels on my dirt rides. The abyss is a long way to crawl out from when stuck in bfn with a broken wheel.
Merckx knows.

But a lot of forum members go on shorter dirt road rides in more densely populated areas with good cell phone connection and just call home to be picked up in case of fail. In that setting ride whatever make you happy.

On the other hand if you ride in the remoteness of NNE with often absent mobile connectivity, it is nice to replace a couple of spokes, true your wheel and ride on.

All depends.
Old 01-31-2022, 11:37 PM

Funny I'm in the same situation as OP. Need a wheelset for a bike that will be used on gravel and also used on road. Rim brake

I have a pair of Zondas I can use and also mavic aksium https://www.merlincycles.com/mavic-a...set-75460.html

Any of these better then the other? If I do build my own set what spoke count would be optimal? Im 170lbs. Ideally I would use one of the sets above until I get around to building something. It would be great if I can get a pair of hubs that I can easily switch the freehub from Shimano to Campag without dishing. Tubeless might also bee good.

Thanks

Last edited by Herder; 01-31-2022 at 11:40 PM.