Old 01-20-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
The one's I remember being excited to get:

Campmor
JC Whitney
Jegs
The Sportsman's Guide
Ah yes, used to get their publication in my pre-cycling, muscle car days. Also got the Summit catalog.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:29 AM

There was definite lifecycle to a cycling catalog company. They would generally come on the scene as a small company- perhaps as a side operation of a retail shop- selling quality merchandise at a discounted price. If they survived and grew, the transition to house-branded items of varying degrees of inferior quality would start to infiltrate the offerings. Eventually, the entire catalog would be filled with the house-branded items exclusively. The next phase was for the company to go bankrupt or to be merged into the operation of another company slightly behind on the lifecycle. The whole lifecycle was not unlike that of a star with the red giants either going supernova and leaving behind a black whole or just a white dwarf. Performance is the example that comes to mind. There were YEARS that performance put out a decent catalog, but nothing of any quality was generally in stock…just the house branded, poor substitutes.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:00 AM

"Performance is the example that comes to mind."

Performance had an aquatic/scuba division. They put out a catalog with the same layout as the cycling one.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
There was definite lifecycle to a cycling catalog company. They would generally come on the scene as a small company- perhaps as a side operation of a retail shop- selling quality merchandise at a discounted price. If they survived and grew, the transition to house-branded items of varying degrees of inferior quality would start to infiltrate the offerings. Eventually, the entire catalog would be filled with the house-branded items exclusively. The next phase was for the company to go bankrupt or to be merged into the operation of another company slightly behind on the lifecycle. The whole lifecycle was not unlike that of a star with the red giants either going supernova and leaving behind a black whole or just a white dwarf. Performance is the example that comes to mind. There were YEARS that performance put out a decent catalog, but nothing of any quality was generally in stock…just the house branded, poor substitutes.
FWIW, I was generally pretty pleased with the house brands and miss the really good deals that were sometimes to be had on them.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post

Performance had an aquatic/scuba division. They put out a catalog with the same layout as the cycling one.
Oh…A binary star system….
Old 01-20-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post

Does anyone else remember that Nashbar had a volleyball offshoot for a while, "Spike Nashbar"? I never got that catalog, but remember them advertising that they had it.

BikePro was amazing when it lasted, though. Better information and photos than anyone else out there.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Does anyone else remember that Nashbar had a volleyball offshoot for a while, "Spike Nashbar"? I never got that catalog, but remember them advertising that they had it.

BikePro was amazing when it lasted, though. Better information and photos than anyone else out there.
I remember Spike Nashbar, but also never saw a copy. I remember BikePro, but I don't think I was ever on their mailing list and only remember it from an online presence.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:40 AM
50 bpm

I used to jones over the Performance and Nashbar catalogs. Started back in the mid '80s. More than 30 years later I was working at Performance, first in stores and then at the HQ.

Life is funny.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:49 AM

There was a poster from either Branford Bike, Colorado Cyclist or Excel that pistured a road rider standing on the pedals looking back over his shoulder. I've been looking for one for ages. Heck, I can't even find the image on the net.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
I used to jones over the Performance and Nashbar catalogs. Started back in the mid '80s. More than 30 years later I was working at Performance, first in stores and then at the HQ.

Life is funny.
I really do miss the old Performance. They had some great house branded stuff, which was on sale a reasonable amount of the time. I still have a box of the Lunarlight tubes.
Old 01-20-2022, 12:49 PM

I was cleaning out a bunch of old bike stuff over the holiday and found a couple of catalogs/booklets that were really neat. One of them is a catalog/guide called "The Complete Handbook of Cycling" from Big Wheel, Ltd (in Denver). It's dated 1971. The guide/catalog is a series of ads and articles about different bikes and parts. At the back of the catalog is a price list. A few examples for you: Cinelli SC - $350, Masi GC - $450, Pogliaghi - $345, and a PX-10 - $175. Cool stuff...

Texbike

Last edited by texbike; 01-20-2022 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:11 PM
Pack fill

I used to spend a lot of time looking through the bike catalogs mentioned here. I the early eighties I was also running quite a bit. East Bay and Road Runner sports both put out great catalogs to ogle over all the running gear
Old 01-20-2022, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Speaking of the demise of paper catalogs, I continue to be amazed by the amount of junk mail i receive. flyers of all sorts, junk magazines, coupons, sketchy charities begging for $, etc.

I stand on my porch and throw 95% of the mail directly in the trash most days of the week thinking what a waste it is to circulate some much worthless paper these days.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:06 PM

History lesson time.
Gene Porteusi, I've been told, was the first to have a mail order bicycle catalog. He moved to Cadillac from Detroit in 1970. He enjoyed the outdoors and moved for that reason. I purchased a Puch from him in 77. I wanted a Schwinn, he said they were junk. Two 80.00 payments and it was mine. We called him The Italian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpJHaFj7AM.jpg (113.7 KB, 121 views)
Old 01-20-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Rider View Post
I really do miss the old Performance. They had some great house branded stuff, which was on sale a reasonable amount of the time.
When I was racing juniors USCF back in the day, one of my coaches rode a Performance house-brand frame of (lugged) Tange #1 tubing. Candy-apple red, if I remember correctly. He said it was great.