Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2022, 10:44 AM
Back At It!

Garmin Varia Purpose

So I did a bit of a search and while there are lots of threads that mention the Varia, not any I could find that answers my question.

So I've read about what the Varia does and and it's a pretty cool concept, but I just can't wrap my head around why I would need it, why I would pay $200 for it...

My reasons are this:

1. I can get a great taillight (probably better than the light-equipped Varia).

2. The Varia lets me know when a car is approaching from behind me... that's great, but how would that change the way I'm riding? I don't know about you, but I don't change the way I ride regardless if there is a car behind or not... I suppose if you were in the habit of riding in the middle of the lane until there was a car behind, this might be useful. I can usually tell if there is a car coming up behind as I can usually hear it...

I'm sure the device works great as designed, but I guess I just don't get it... why did you buy a Varia and did it change the way you ride? Not trying to be dismissive of the tech, just genuinely curious.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:50 AM

I don't use one, but if I did, and what I tend to do anyway, is ride a little more on to the road, then move over at the last minute closer to the edge of the road.

To me, this forces the vehicle coming up from behind to move over a little bit more.

SPP
Old 01-17-2022, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
I don't use one, but if I did, and what I tend to do anyway, is ride a little more on to the road, then move over at the last minute closer to the edge of the road.

To me, this forces the vehicle coming up from behind to move over a little bit more.
I do exactly the same thing, using a helmet mounted mirror to monitor what's coming up behind me...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 01-17-2022, 10:53 AM

I don't use one because my riding is mainly in the city, however having ridden in the country with someone who had a varia, its a game changer. It really helps you set your expectations and avoid surprise passes.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:54 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

It gives you a bit more warning than your ears can hear and it lets the guys behind you know too.

If they can't hear the vehicle, they'll see the lights on the radar flashing faster.

Seems like it's a 'nice to have' vs a 'need to have.' But that's my $0.02 and worth what you paid for the advice

M
Old 01-17-2022, 10:57 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Also, 1 Varia in the riding group can be synced across multiple computers.
This is a big selling point IMO and should be more widely known. I don't ride with a Varia, but that is a dang cool feature to have in small/medium groups.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dired View Post
I don't use one because my riding is mainly in the city, however having ridden in the country with someone who had a varia, its a game changer. It really helps you set your expectations and avoid surprise passes.
You just won’t know until you use one. I thought there no need until I saw one on sale and thought why not. Now I won’t ride without it, even on my gravel bike. It annonuuces cars approaching before I can hear them. It is really helpful when making left turns too.

Last edited by djg21; 01-17-2022 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:29 AM

I'd buy one and test it, sell it if you don't think it works for you. For me? it was a great addition to my ride, more so when going downhill
Old 01-17-2022, 11:42 AM

Varia

I use one.It allows me to take up all of my side of the road till a car gets closer then I move over to the right.Staying in the center of my lane seems to help make sure the car slows down.Peace of mind!
Old 01-17-2022, 11:49 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
I

SPP
How? I didn't read anything on the Garmin site that make me think a car would think it was anything more than a taillight (if you buy the light equipped one), did I miss that part?
Old 01-17-2022, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
You just won’t know until you use one. I thought there no need until I saw one on sale and though why not. Now I wont ride without it, even in my gravel bike. It annonuuces cars approaching before I can hear them. It is really helpful when making left turns too.
Ditto.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:50 AM

I will not ride without my Varia. I also have another taillight (Bontrager) that I use in conjunction with it. It gives me situational awareness. It tells me how many cars are coming up. I can judge how far away the cars are from me by looking at the moving dot on my Garmin computer and then when close I give a quick look over to let the driver know I see him and also for me to see how much of the road the driver is giving. Its not a gimmick. In fact I think its the single best piece of cycling equipment I have ever bought.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:52 AM

The tail light will flash faster as the car gets closer to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2022, 12:00 PM

Sometimes I take left turns
Old 01-17-2022, 12:02 PM
Back At It!

Ahh, I see... thanks!

Seems like a decent piece of tech then... I recently bought a Wahoo Bolt V.2, but am thinking about going back to the Garmin side (530 probably)... I know the Varia works with Wahoo as well, but I tend to be a "system" guy... plus the Garmin has was better MTB options it sounds like. If the Varia goes on sale again, I might have to pick one up...