Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2022, 02:28 PM
Deconditioned!

I just snagged some of their bibs with the recent sale. I'll report back.

I didn't realize they were coming from Italy. Thought is was a bunch of hipsters from the US.

Sizing seems "Euro"...ie....small for small Italians. Am I'm a large Polack.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:32 PM

Another fan of the FRC bib by Giordana, I can’t fault them
Old 01-18-2022, 05:37 AM

I have the Velocio ultralight bibs. Thy are my new favorite. Nice compression and a nice pad that is on the thinner side. Use these for all my longer rides. Nice on the trainer this time of year also.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar77 View Post
How do people find the sizing for La Passione? I can wear a med in many brands depending on the cut. Sometimes L is the right size but their cut looks pretty tight. Thoughts? Edit - was thinking about their windproof jacket specifically. Looks like a good time to try one of their bibs too.
I can say La Passione kit is very very good. I have a pair of blue bibs and they disappear on a ride (much like the Qs). FWIW I wear XL in every brand of bibs and La Passione is spot on there. I also wear pretty much XXL in jerseys/jackets and my La Passione jersey is XXL and race fit so it's perfect. For reference I'm 198cm and 82kg.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:33 PM

I've had all sorts of bibs over the years. Use to love Assos, but newer ones not as fond of. Castelli is excellent, but they wear out in a season. Santini are nicely made but chamois just doesn't work for me.

Giordana are my current favs. Great fit, nice chamois and they last a very long time.

When living in Europe got a team kit from Cuore (x-Assos folks in CH but bibs made in IT) and they are some of the best bibs I ever owned. Unfortunately, can't find them here in States. And do not confuse the Euro Cuore brand with the one in the US, which I'm not fond of.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:55 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianni Bianchi View Post
I can say La Passione kit is very very good. I have a pair of blue bibs and they disappear on a ride (much like the Qs). FWIW I wear XL in every brand of bibs and La Passione is spot on there. I also wear pretty much XXL in jerseys/jackets and my La Passione jersey is XXL and race fit so it's perfect. For reference I'm 198cm and 82kg.
Its' true, the feel of the fabric/construction looks to be quite good.

Unfortunately, the sizing is very Euro. I'm 6'2", 210 lbs. I typically where an XL. I ordered the Club bib and Adventure Cargo bibs in XXL. Those weren't even close. Too tight in the legs for me and my covid body. So I re-ordered at XXXL (sheesh) given how great the bibs looked in hand.

I have a few buddies that ride lots of Q36.5. The fabric of the bibs I received seems to be very similar. I'm impressed.

So, if anyone wants to skip the line on some XXL duds (180-200lbs I'm guessing), LMK. I have started a return, but can send these on to someone else if they don't want to wait for shipping from Italy (which was actually pretty quick).
Old 01-18-2022, 06:06 PM

If you go with Q36, try Swinnerton Cycle in the UK, better prices
Old 01-18-2022, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booglebug View Post
If you go with Q36, try Swinnerton Cycle in the UK, better prices
now that's a good insight thanks
Old 01-19-2022, 11:25 AM

I’ve been critical of Castelli in the past, feeling like their products are maddeningly inconsistent (in durability, sizing, and strange choices). I was not a huge fan of the Free Aero Race 4 for many of these reasons. Good fabric, great leg grippers, flimsy (and very short) bib straps, and a chamois that was comfortable, but without much front “junk” protection or coverage and with the foam exposed in the back notch cutout which caused some delamination within a handful of washes. However, I really like their newish Premio bibs, which use a woven Lycra fabric, much improved bib straps, even better leg grippers, and a similar chamois, but without the open notch cutout in the back. Only slight demerit is the chamois still doesn’t have much accommodation for the male anatomy, but otherwise near perfect, IMHO.
Old 01-20-2022, 12:48 PM

I love my Castelli free aero and Pactimo bibs. Nice flexible shoulder straps and easy enough to pull down for nature breaks!!
Old 01-20-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycling Giraffe View Post
I’ve been critical of Castelli in the past, feeling like their products are maddeningly inconsistent (in durability, sizing, and strange choices). I was not a huge fan of the Free Aero Race 4 for many of these reasons. Good fabric, great leg grippers, flimsy (and very short) bib straps, and a chamois that was comfortable, but without much front “junk” protection or coverage and with the foam exposed in the back notch cutout which caused some delamination within a handful of washes. However, I really like their newish Premio bibs, which use a woven Lycra fabric, much improved bib straps, even better leg grippers, and a similar chamois, but without the open notch cutout in the back. Only slight demerit is the chamois still doesn’t have much accommodation for the male anatomy, but otherwise near perfect, IMHO.
I have had several pairs of Castelli bibs and they all were not very good.
The chamois in two if them became very rough and uncomfortable. Actually ripped one of them out and sewed in a replacement so I could get some use out of them. For the money you can do a LOT better than Castelli. I have had good luck with their jackets and socks. The ROS jacket with GoreTex Infinium is brilliant.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:48 PM

Stick to the Dottore ....
Old 01-20-2022, 03:21 PM

I have been running Pactimo bibs for the past few years. Comfy chamois with nice leg grippers. They don't offer the best compression if that's a decision factor. Plus you can save a few dollars if you get them when they're on sale. They usually have 2 big sales where they heavily discount their stuff.