Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2022, 01:53 PM

Also in the IP-No Way club, it’s nice to see some variation popping up at the local breweries, but still a lot of double, triple, and hazy ipas floating around.

As far as “beer from the store” goes, it’s Peroni, Modelo, or a Coors Light for me (don’t knock that last one until you’ve had it on a hot day, takes me straight back to college).
Old 01-17-2022, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediumAl View Post
Also in the IP-No Way club, it’s nice to see some variation popping up at the local breweries, but still a lot of double, triple, and hazy ipas floating around.

As far as “beer from the store” goes, it’s Peroni, Modelo, or a Coors Light for me (don’t knock that last one until you’ve had it on a hot day, takes me straight back to college).
When I was stationed on Sardinia, there was a local beer that was good, but for a big beer drinkathon with the locals, Peroni was cheap and plentiful. We would listen to soccer matches broadcast in Italian while sitting on a ancient stone wall drinking beer. It was magical. And IPA sucks.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:01 PM

Most local breweries are brewing really great pilsners lately. Every grocery store I go to I can always find a really good local pils. I rather not drink if all they have is budweiser or other similar dad beer.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:03 PM
It's Polly!

This thread reminds me of when I was a GI stationed in Germany. When we were desperate and nothing was open, there was always beer at a 24hr gas station a few kms down the autobahn. Usually, they stocked most of the major Euro brands of beer there, but even the lesser labels - I'm sure considered to be swill by many beer-loving Germans, was still way better than Budweiser or Coors.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:32 PM

When I worked in Germany, there was bier in the cafeteria and every little town had its own brewery. Bud isn't drinkable in my opinion. Budvar consumed locally in České Budějovice is a great beer whereas the imported version isn't as good. Pils where the water is soft and from keg is so much better than the bottled beer sent to us. Is it the transport????

Schneider aventinus is my favorite "pils" (LOL)
Old 01-17-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
When I worked in Germany, there was bier in the cafeteria and every little town had its own brewery. Bud isn't drinkable in my opinion. Budvar consumed locally in České Budějovice is a great beer whereas the imported version isn't as good. Pils where the water is soft and from keg is so much better than the bottled beer sent to us. Is it the transport????

Ha! I'd have many stories to tell about that one...
Ever been to the Schneider Keller in Munich?
Old 01-17-2022, 03:16 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post

I fill up on Budvar on tap at the Schweitzerhaus at Prater Park in Vienna. Best Weinerschnizel there too.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:43 PM

Bud taste like piss, I don't drink it ever.
I also hate IPAs which are all over the place here.
For me it is Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier and Hofbrau Dunkel.
Also like some Belgian ales like Delirium Tremens but they can pretty high alcohol.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:52 PM
Deconditioned!

Jupiler is all you need!

Well also a nice Chimay and D Tremens and Kwak and Duvel (my fave).

Now I'm thirsty. These beer threads are only supposed to happen Friday afternoon - Sunday sundown.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
InBev bought one of our first successful local breweries, Devil’s Backbone. A lot of people were up in arms about it, but the beer is still good, brewery still nice to visit and I’m happy for the original owner being able to cash out on it.
I moved to the DC area a couple years ago and I'm still trying to find my favorites on the local scene. Currently drinking more MD and DC than VA, but do enjoy a few beers when I have been able to get over to Loudoun County for a ride. Devil's Backbone shows up in the local shops (mostly Capit-Ale IPA) but I have found other VA beers that I like better - Dynasty and Aslin come to mind.

Wow, there are a lot of IPA haters on Paceline, so I'll shut up!

Last edited by jemoryl; 01-17-2022 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
Ha! I'd have many stories to tell about that one...
Ever been to the Schneider Keller in Munich?
Yes. I had hired a historian for a couple of days and we stopped there twice. We also stopped at the Hofbrauhaus but only to look and learn.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:44 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
So we all know about the supply chain issues. Why are the Euro beers (Bitburger, Warsteiner, Carlsberg etc) now seemingly selling for less than bud, miller, etc?

Quality/taste comparison or thoughts?
Warsteiner is mass produced crap, as are the others they still are beer even if there is *much* better stuff available. Compare it to Bud US? Gimme a break.go get a butter milk.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:20 PM
Deconditioned!

nothing to see here.

Last edited by lavi; 01-17-2022 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Peroni "Nastro Azzurro"-Peroni Blue Ribbon

Pabst Blue Ribbon

I like 'em both..who cares, it's beer, not a $500 bottle of wine.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:07 AM
It's Polly!

Quote:
I've been sober for almost a year and a half now, but back in the day, I drank a lot of IPA's. The one thing that I could not tolerate was an IPA that was so hoppy it was like drinking battery acid. A triple-hopped IPA would seem to make me thirstier after drinking it, and only a glass of water would cure take care of it.

I hear what you say about Coors Light, though. Nothing like it when all you want is immediate refreshment.