Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-04-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulspinner View Post
Couple grams better than their alloy rim for over 5 times the price?
I’m with you- the value on these (at least at MSRP when new) just isn’t there. Marginal improvement in weight and depth but substantial increase in cost. Add to that poorer braking and the risks associated with carbon rim overheating and I just don’t think these will be strong sellers.

On the other hand, this is still a pretty baller wheelset and I think I would have been a buyer at the purchase price (dug up the completed listing)
Old 10-04-2020, 04:16 PM

oh these pretty nice, aethetically at least... might just have to. Ive been a fan of mavic for various reasons but have had my fair share of bad/weird experiences as all of you can relate to. Having worked at a shop in the past who went through ALOT their wheels, have had mostly good experiences.

would be interested to see how these fair, and how that braking surface feels/performs.

That being said, weight and price point puts them in a fair-ish spot in the market and I like how they are available per rim. Buildem to whatever hubs you got.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:30 PM

Nice set of wheels Angry! I personally feel the look of the rim is worth the 450$😁 But I’m weird...
Old 10-04-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Nice set of wheels Angry! I personally feel the look of the rim is worth the 450$ But I’m weird...

LOL, same! Although I’d be tempted to go over the top and pair these with Extralite hubs too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2020, 06:21 PM

Those are sweet wheels, nice find.

Last edited by Hellgate; 10-04-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:04 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
You really think 450 is a lot for a carbon rim by a known and respected brand? How much is an enve or a zipp rim again?
In guess we'll disagree about that..MY point is there are some equally excellent carbon rims made w/o the Mavic decal that will perform as well as or better(longevity..I can't find the ENVE rim exploded thread) than these. And are less than $450 per...
AngryScientist
Quote:
yes we know ancient open pros had some rim wedges come loose and rattle and it's hard to find a spoke for a 1997 ksyrium, but let's cut mavic some slack, th
It wasn't so much that but the piss poor response I got from French Mavic company big-boys about this. And how that 'attitude' transferred to the US Mavic office when trying to get ANYTHING fixed, replaced or ordered from them...Maybe after they have been sold(twice, three times), they are better but..YMMV and all that.

BUT Angry, I don't know what what you paid but I'm guess less than the $1600+ price these would have been new..good score, great hubs..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-05-2020 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:56 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
In guess we'll disagree about that..MY point is there are some equally excellent carbon rims made w/o the Mavic decal that will perform as well as or better(longevity..I can't find the ENVE rim exploded thread) than these. And are less than $450 per...
AngryScientist

It wasn't so much that but the piss poor response I got from French Mavic company big-boys about this. And how that 'attitude' transferred to the US Mavic office when trying to get ANYTHING fixed, replaced or ordered from them...Maybe after they have been sold(twice, three times), they are better but..YMMV and all that.

BUT Angry, I don't know what what you paid but I'm guess less than the $160+ price these would have been new..good score, great hubs..
The Mavic rims Angry got are made by Corima in France. Excellent product with actual design, testing and quality behind them. I agree that there are some great rims out there without the big brand labeling. I think that Corima must have some kind of agreement to not sell the same rims as Mavic in the US. Granted Corima doesn't have a huge presence here.

Enve has the same attitude like their **** don't stink. This industry breeds that kind of attitude though.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
The Mavic rims Angry got are made by Corima in France. Excellent product with actual design, testing and quality behind them. I agree that there are some great rims out there without the big brand labeling. I think that Corima must have some kind of agreement to not sell the same rims as Mavic in the US. Granted Corima doesn't have a huge presence here.

Enve has the same attitude like their **** don't stink. This industry breeds that kind of attitude though.
That's an interesting, but not surprising tidbit about them being made by Corima.

I'm excited for Nick's feedback on these, as I'd love a set of my own in more traditional spoke counts vs the factory Cosmic and Ksyrium Carbon offerings..
Old 10-05-2020, 11:16 AM

I think these are the ones I was watching too
Old 10-05-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati2 View Post
I have a set built by Jones Precision Wheels with White Industries hubs and Wheelsmith spokes. The seem light and sturdy enough.
Love this thing!
Old 10-05-2020, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Nick -- you got a great deal on those! A whole wheelset for about the price of one rim.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulspinner View Post
Couple grams better than their alloy rim for over 5 times the price?
This is my exact question, but for the price he paid it's kind of a no brainer.

Though that same price would have net a solid pair of alloy clinchers weighing 100-200g less than their claimed weight. I have a custom built set on my bike now.

That said, that was a great deal for a set of carbon hoops if you want to run them all year long.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:07 PM

So how does the braking feel on these?

That Excel link has a decent deal on new Open Pro CD btw. I should probably grab a set to lace up my old Mavic 36h hubs.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:14 PM
ZhugeLiang

Got a set of these about 6 months ago for something like $300 or so, tires included . Crazy deal. Crazy good. Don't look back...look forward.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 441318D2-8533-464E-87CE-5589E8C44509.jpg (106.3 KB, 326 views)
Old 10-09-2020, 01:14 PM

Hot damn, those are sick wheels, and you got a crazy good deal too.