Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2022, 01:51 PM
Post Mod-ern

Any Paceliners in Sacramento area?

I'm going to be out there in February to visit family. My daughter has a 10+ year Cannondale Synapse in my size, so I ship out some pedals and associated paraphernalia in advance and try to get some rides in.

I'd be interested in finding a fellow Paceliner who could show me some decent routes besides the American River Trail.

Drop me a PM if you're interested. Thanks!

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 01-20-2022, 02:56 PM

The nearby (15 miles) Loomis basin and on up into the foothills offers a lot of routes which can include as much and almost as little climbing as you could want.

Clubs up here have rides of nearly all levels daily, but with COVID going on there is a need to respect those perhaps wary of newcomers.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:31 PM
Post Mod-ern

Hey, it wouldn't be the first time . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
The nearby (15 miles) Loomis basin and on up into the foothills offers a lot of routes which can include as much and almost as little climbing as you could want.

Clubs up here have rides of nearly all levels daily, but with COVID going on there is a need to respect those perhaps wary of newcomers.
. . . people have run the other way when I show up at a ride!

Usually it's women, but . . . Oh, never mind!

BBD
Old 01-20-2022, 04:47 PM
#RYFB

BBD, I have a good friend up there who leads a lot of rides and I suspect would be willing to assist with routes etc. LMK if you don't get enough from other members and I'll check in with him.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:54 PM

Any Paceliners in Sacramento area?

Search http://ridewithgps.com. Lots of rides in the space between Loomis, Lincoln, Penryn, Newcastle, and Auburn. Good climbs include Chili, Bald, Crater, and Baxter. Lots of rolling hills in between. Tour de Lincoln is a good metric century in the area.

Last edited by MikeD; 01-25-2022 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:36 PM

As an ex-Sacramento area (Rescue) cyclist I have my favorite rides and if I were going to host a visitor for a ride I would start in Folsom off the bike trail, ride up Folsom Crossing to Promontory Park then over the hill to Malcom-Dixon -- a nice easy climb -- to Green Valley Road and left onto Deer Valley Road. Enjoy the climb to the Rescue Fire Station and then onto Ponderosa to Meder Road wind your way through Cameron Park up and down Hollow Oak Drive to Bass lake, then down hill on Serano Parkway -- a fun descent -- and then up Wilson and find your way to Beatty for a speedy descent back to Promontory Park and then back to Folsom for a stop at Out of Bounds or Red Truck breweries and then back to the start point. You get some flats, some climbs and some nice scenery.

Brings back memories as I sit here in -20 degree weather after a ride on the trainer..... If you are looking for good ride ideas a former riding partner of mine might be a good source. You can find him on Strava -- Greg Call in Folsom. Greg rides a lot and he is a great guy who is connected with several riding groups in the area.

Last edited by metalheart; 01-21-2022 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:35 AM

I will be living there by MAY (partnered moving a few weeks) and will be happy to show you around next time you make it out. I plan to explore pavement to mixed surface to gravel routes so should be a fun next go around. I’m also going to watch the thread for ideas (thanks metalheart).

Off topic, love all your pics posted at FB Velopigs. Maybe Clean39t and I can figure out to set up a west coast extension to the tour company.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheart View Post
As an ex-Sacramento area (Rescue) cyclist I have my favorite rides and if I were going to host a visitor for a ride I would start in Folsom off the bike trail, ride up Folsom Crossing to Promontory Park then over the hill to Malcom-Dixon -- a nice easy climb -- to Green Valley Road and left onto Deer Valley Road. Enjoy the climb to the Rescue Fire Station and then onto Ponderosa to Meder Road wind your way through Cameron Park up and down Hollow Oak Drive to Bass lake, then down hill on Serano Parkway -- a fun descent -- and then up Wilson and find your way to Beatty for a speedy descent back to Promontory Park and then back to Folsom for a stop at Out of Bounds or Red Truck breweries and then back to the start point. You get some flats, some climbs and some nice scenery.

Brings back memories as I sit here in -20 degree weather after a ride on the trainer..... If you are looking for good ride ideas a former riding partner of mine might be a good source. You can find him on Strava -- Greg Call in Folsom. Greg rides a lot and he is a great guy who is connected with several riding groups in the area.

One of my good friends moved to Cameron Park last year, so i went out to visit and we rode all around the trails and hills between Cameron Park and Folsom (but didn’t have time to really get around the lake. WOW what a great area for getting off the pavement! 4 minutes through his neighborhood and we were on dirt/gravel for hours. It was enlightening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-22-2022, 08:24 AM

Hey BBD - I think it was you who came out here a few years ago and needed a bike and my late friend drmojo in davis loaned you one of his rides. I live near and ride in the foothills around Newcastle. Would be happy to show you around..
Old 01-22-2022, 12:59 PM
Post Mod-ern

Holy Smokes . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by smead View Post
Hey BBD - I think it was you who came out here a few years ago and needed a bike and my late friend drmojo in davis loaned you one of his rides. I live near and ride in the foothills around Newcastle. Would be happy to show you around..
Did he die? Was such a nice guy! Really gave me a nice tour of the Davis area. sorry to hear that. That steel Colnago he loaned to me was really sweet.

Yeah, if we can hook up a ride in the foothills would be great. Let me PM you and let's see what we can set up.

I'm also trying to decide whether to take a two day chunk of my time out there to drive out to Fort Ross and Point Reyes to do some photography.

BBD
Old 01-22-2022, 01:00 PM
Post Mod-ern

Yep, already thought of that . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Search Ride With GPS. Lots of rides in the space between Loomis, Lincoln, Penryn, Newcastle, and Auburn. Good climbs include Chili, Bald, Crater, and Baxter. Lots of rolling hills in between. Tour de Lincoln is a good metric century in the area.
. . . but I'm also interested in doing them with some fellow Paceliners.

BBD
Old 01-22-2022, 01:42 PM

Davis paceliner here. Our local bike club has a whole list of local routes including maps+cue cards links

https://davisbikeclub.org/ride-descr...al-ride-ideas/

There are more links to other rides on the right hand side of the page. There's a calendar of club rides going on.....I"m currently stuck on a trainer due to a bad calf injury but if you show up with a smile, you're welcome on the rides. I can introduce you to the ride leader if one looks interesting.

If you really want to challenge yourself, there's Mix Canyon Road closer to Vacaville...relatively short but its one of the steepest roads in the US.

https://pjammcycling.com/climb/250.Mix%2520Canyon

"The Mix Canyon Road climb is all about STEEP. Average grade is 10.5% with 0 descent. 33% of the climb is at 10-15% and 16% is at 15-20%. The steepest quarter mile is 17.2% and steepest mile 15.8%. Mix Canyon is the second steepest mile in California (after Socrates Mine Road in Lake County), and the steepest 2 1/2 miles in CA (#8 US). "

Last edited by malbecman; 01-22-2022 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-22-2022, 01:50 PM

We also have a very active randonneur group and it looks like they're getting ready for their spring brevet series. There's a 100K ride on Feb 13th starting in Sac that has some fun levee/gravel sections "A great spin up and down the Sacramento River, with sections of gravel/levee riding."

https://davisbikeclub.org/ultra-dist...randonneuring/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=382704855
Old 01-22-2022, 07:01 PM

Looks like you have a lot of great options here already, but depending on the week your around I may be available to show you around. I agree that a lot of the fun road riding starts in Folsom.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8aaron8 View Post
Looks like you have a lot of great options here already, but depending on the week your around I may be available to show you around. I agree that a lot of the fun road riding starts in Folsom.
I would start at Aaron's shop... a great builder who knows his stuff.