Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2022, 11:19 AM

Zipp 101 xplr wheels

**updated 9.13.23**
I've been riding xplr wheels for about 8 months primarily with 40mm Schwalbe G-One R but spent 3 months on 50mm G-One Ultrabites. I still use them as my primary wheels so I think that sums it up

I wanted to try these wheels since I read the first press release, but the price, non-aero design, weight and skepticism towards any added gains made me hold until, Regroup, my LBS had them in stock at the right time and I decided to try them.

It's like adding ~5mm volume to your tire and enables me to ride through rougher terrain with more stability. The compliance is noticeable with benefits such as slightly improved cornering. the 40mm tires feel sufficient for all but very bumpy roads and trails. the 50mm solves that allowing for bombing through rock gardens with little risk of rim strikes.

I can ride pressures in the teens with the 50mm tires and recently set my 40mm tires to 25 and 27psi for a kitchen sink type dirt road ride ranging from smooth to too bumpy! They could've been lower.

The rear hub engages very quickly, and isnt terribly loud. I think its pleasant sounding.

The spokes spewed sealant the first time I inflated the tires, but haven't since. I've heard about challenges with the tape and sealant around spokes but thus far no issues. I didn't weigh them so cant complain about that and don't care about how fast I go but do like the very shallow rim appearance.

click for higher res!

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 09-13-2023 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:29 AM
Meh

Let's get the BTLOS and Light Bicycle recommendations out of the way right here so we can mark that as discussed.

The single-wall tech debuted in the 3Zero Moto MTB wheels. I heard very good things about those wheels from those few I know that tried them, and they got excellent reviews for their compliance characteristics. As I understand things, they weren't downhill rated, which puts them in an odd place from a marketing perspective, since they are specifically aimed at the Enduro market.

Based on that I can imagine they would have nice compliance characteristics as gravel wheels, and the downhill rating thing doesn't matter. That being said, it's a pretty minor difference vs. the compliance that's added with big tires or good bar tape, so you'd have to be willing to pay a lot for a very marginal difference.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:35 AM

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 12-01-2022 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:58 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
“That’s because the rim distorts and writhes through root spreads and rocky chunder leaving the bike undisturbed and tracking true.”
Gotta say I have no idea what this means. Kinda sounds like they're describing compliance with more evocative words.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:38 PM

Old 01-20-2022, 02:24 PM

I'd like to try them also, I might build myself a set since they sell the xplr 101 as rim only option. Sold in 700 and 650b 28h. Ive seen a couple of reviews ranging from "these are amazing" to "I couldn't really notice a difference". The reviews I saw were all riding with the Rudy xplr fork too, so did that hide the ride quality of the wheels? The other thing that I find funny is how most reviews point out they aren't "aero" or they are "heavy". Claimed 700c Wheelset weight 1665g 650b claimed 1590g. I know top offerings from various wheel manufactures can be in the mid 1200-1300g range but I'm not ready to call any wheelset in the 1600g heavy especially with 28hole. On the aero side of things I was under the impression that when a typical gravel tire is mounted to any wheel aero kinda goes out the window? Sure if you were looking to use one wheelset for both gravel and road tires the xplr rim would not be a good choice. Thoughts?
Old 01-20-2022, 02:30 PM

Old 01-20-2022, 03:20 PM

You are correct I'm much more interested in ride feel/quality and traction especially. Im curious if these could give the ride quality and comfort of riding bigger tire without having to. Following me here, lets say on your current gravel bike you run 700x42-45mm and you like the setup. Would riding the xplr 101's with something in the 700 37-40 feel the same as far as comfort and traction is concerned?
Old 09-13-2023, 11:53 AM

bump with rider input updated on the original post.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 09-13-2023 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-14-2023, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
bump with rider input updated on the original post.
Thanks for the update there are few actual owner reviews of these wheels love to hear your thoughts.