Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2022, 09:33 AM

American Classic tires

Has anyone tried them?

Thinking of getting a set for road and gravel. Good price, good warranty, but concerned that due to price “you get what you pay for””.

Can’t seem to find any in-depth or long term results.

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:48 AM

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/09/amer...used-on-value/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2022, 09:53 AM

Some experiences here - https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=273925
Old 01-14-2022, 10:39 AM

I've been riding their 650b models since September. Only downside I've found has been the weight. They roll pretty good, have ok traction, and seem to be very durable.

Here's my measurements after some use for size. The 650b are sized close to spec, apparently the 700c models can be a little under.

They're great $35 tires, that's about it. Price above that and they're outclassed immediately by Panaracer at $45.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:06 PM

Thanks.

Doing a few rough road fondos and gravel rides in the spring and don’t want to use my road wheels (Conti 5000 TL), so thinking of alternatives.

Appreciate the comments and ideas.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:56 PM

I just mounted up a set of the 700x50 Aggregate last week on some new wheels. Sealed up tubeless without issue, have held pressure great, one ~10mi paved ride and a ~25mi mostly hardpack/gravel ride down so far.

they seem a touch heavy maybe, but I don’t have another set of similar sized tires to compare with. seem to ride nice enough.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:27 PM

Just purchased a set of the 700x40 Aggregates, should be here on thursday and will report back with how they setup and ride.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:46 PM

Rolling on a set of 32mm Torchbearer (tubed) tires since they came out. Honestly, they're great tires. I can't feel a difference between them and my Gravelking Slicks in the same size. Durability has been excellent too. The bike in question sees all weather use.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:18 PM

I have about 100 miles on some timekeepers tubeless 700x25 no complaints. For the price they rock.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:18 AM

Installed the 700x40c Aggregates last night. On Velocity Dyad rims (18.6mm internal 24mm external) they measure 38.9mm, but it is not a super wide rim and I expect they will stretch a bit with time. Setup was super painless, and the tires popped in to place, and held pressure overnight without sealant. One interesting feature is the 'scaling' texture inside the tire. Not sure if that is to help disprese the sealant or keep it from adhering when it dries out...

Old 01-20-2022, 12:18 PM

one friend has used them, his review:

"I bought three sets of American Classic road tires and I have mixed reviews. The Timekeepers are fine, but the Torchbearers are horrendous -I slid all over the place on a wettish day, including almost biffing at the end of a track stand. I thought maybe I had overinflated, but no.

These (Torchbearers) are the worst tires I have ever used. They remind me of a bad batch of Specialized Armadillos, or what I imagine Thickslicks must be like. They suck.

I wouldn’t wish these on my worst enemy. You will probably crash because they have zero traction. I slid out just accelerating from a trackstand at a light on a foggy day.

Homeless people laugh at me while I ride these. I am filled with the kind of rage that made Shane McGowan a great punker and a horrible drunk. Something about Ian McKay, too. I dunno. I can’t think. I just want these ****ing tires from Hell out of my life."

another friend:

"Finally opened and mounted the American Classic tires I ordered. they mounted pretty easily for a tubeless tire and they look great but wow they stink. The rubber smell is powerful and hasn't subsided across the 48 hours the tires have been out of their packaging."
Old 01-20-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxient View Post

"I bought three sets of American Classic road tires and I have mixed reviews. The Timekeepers are fine, but the Torchbearers are horrendous -I slid all over the place on a wettish day, including almost biffing at the end of a track stand. I thought maybe I had overinflated, but no.

These (Torchbearers) are the worst tires I have ever used. They remind me of a bad batch of Specialized Armadillos, or what I imagine Thickslicks must be like. They suck.

I wouldn’t wish these on my worst enemy. You will probably crash because they have zero traction. I slid out just accelerating from a trackstand at a light on a foggy day.
Interesting feedback. I've been using the timekeepers for about 4 months now, and had been pretty happy with them, but last weekend I had a bad crash when my front wheel lost traction on a slightly damp, but otherwise gentle turn.

I had ordered some Torchbearers that I hadn't mounted up yet, but after reading this, I think I'm going to return them. I thought my fall was just a fluke, but now I'm thinking it might have been the tires, and I won't be able to shake that feeling.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:49 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxient View Post

Interesting- the AC website claims Torchbearer tires have better grip and better cornering.