Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-27-2019, 05:37 AM
Octave Octave is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Marseille, France
Posts: 67
Cracked Chris King BB

Anyone ever had a Chris King Threadfit BB fail? I've never seen anything quite like this and have no idea how it occurred. Heard an annoying creak yesterday while out riding and went to inspect, found this lovely crack all the way through the BB cup.




Last edited by Octave; 10-27-2019 at 05:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-27-2019, 07:04 AM
gibbo gibbo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Tasmania
Posts: 73
I would contact them as they are supposed to have lifetime warranty.

https://chrisking.com/blogs/news/the...etime-warranty
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-27-2019, 07:18 AM
Octave Octave is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Marseille, France
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo View Post
I would contact them as they are supposed to have lifetime warranty.

https://chrisking.com/blogs/news/the...etime-warranty
Oh, I already have. Mostly I posted because I'm curious if a) others have experienced this and b) if anyone can offer an explanation to how this might have occurred. For reference, it was installed on a road bike with a White Industries R30 crankset. It's been ridden for about 30,000km with no problems and no significant use offroad (a handful of crushed limestone riding, but no "gravel")
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-27-2019, 07:58 AM
zmalwo zmalwo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octave View Post
Oh, I already have. Mostly I posted because I'm curious if a) others have experienced this and b) if anyone can offer an explanation to how this might have occurred. For reference, it was installed on a road bike with a White Industries R30 crankset. It's been ridden for about 30,000km with no problems and no significant use offroad (a handful of crushed limestone riding, but no "gravel")
30k km sounds a lot for a BB....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-27-2019, 08:02 AM
yarbsr02 yarbsr02 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 34
Is there any recommended service schedule for that bottom bracket? Sounds strange but would anticipate excellent customer service based on hub experience. Let us know how it works out.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-27-2019, 09:06 AM
Octave Octave is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Marseille, France
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
30k km sounds a lot for a BB....
Seriously? Bearing aside, a BB should last wayyyyy longer than 30,000km. I've run other CK or Phil Wood BBs for 100,000km (~4 years) without issue.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-27-2019, 09:46 AM
oldpotatoe's Avatar
oldpotatoe oldpotatoe is offline
Proud Grandpa
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Republic of Boulder, USA
Posts: 36,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octave View Post
Seriously? Bearing aside, a BB should last wayyyyy longer than 30,000km. I've run other CK or Phil Wood BBs for 100,000km (~4 years) without issue.
Yowser..I make that like 42miles+ per day, everyday for 4 years..

Good on ya...
__________________
Chisholm's Custom Wheels
Qui Si Parla Campagnolo
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-27-2019, 09:57 AM
Octave Octave is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Marseille, France
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yowser..I make that like 42miles+ per day, everyday for 4 years..

Good on ya...
Yeah, more or less. ~47mi/day during the week (ride + commute) then 100-120 on Saturday. Throw in a few extra-long bikepacking trips (100+ mi/day) and you've got a bit over 16,000mi/year. Hence why I like kit that lasts, which has been my experience with CK bits thus far. Hoping this is a fluke.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-27-2019, 10:02 AM
oldpotatoe's Avatar
oldpotatoe oldpotatoe is offline
Proud Grandpa
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Republic of Boulder, USA
Posts: 36,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octave View Post
Yeah, more or less. ~47mi/day during the week (ride + commute) then 100-120 on Saturday. Throw in a few extra-long bikepacking trips (100+ mi/day) and you've got a bit over 16,000mi/year. Hence why I like kit that lasts, which has been my experience with CK bits thus far. Hoping this is a fluke.
You must be single...
__________________
Chisholm's Custom Wheels
Qui Si Parla Campagnolo
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-27-2019, 10:20 AM
Octave Octave is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Marseille, France
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
You must be single...
Happily married for just shy of 5 years. Plus there's two jobs and a cat in the mix.

Just like the bike thing
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-27-2019, 10:32 AM
AngryScientist's Avatar
AngryScientist AngryScientist is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: northeast NJ
Posts: 20,900
judging by the looks of that BB, it looks as if you may not have been using the best tool for install/remove. it's really pretty roughed up there?

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-27-2019, 02:28 PM
clyde the point clyde the point is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 676
Just rub a little cbd oil on it and it will be fine!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-27-2019, 02:30 PM
jtakeda jtakeda is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Town
Posts: 4,535
Is there a photo?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-27-2019, 03:18 PM
happycampyer happycampyer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 3,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde the point View Post
Just rub a little cbd oil on it and it will be fine!
potd
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-27-2019, 05:36 PM
rwsaunders's Avatar
rwsaunders rwsaunders is offline
Everything is connected
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Seaburgh
Posts: 9,773
5 year warranty if one is the original owner and purchased before 2019...lifetime after 2019. There is recommended servicing and CK posts this information. It almost looks like it cracked when you removed the cup but who knows. Based on your mileage and at today’s prices, that bottom bracket cost $0.008/mile if I do the math correctly...pretty good.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/29...56820612942588
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.