Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 10-14-2018, 04:33 PM

Fitting with MTB Shoes

So going to try to make a long story short here -> had some ankle soreness and some knee tendonitis -> after being a commuter for a number of years I fell in with some riders who were in much better shape than me and tried to push it too hard on a bad fit.

I have one bike for commuting, road and gravel riding and have always had MTB shoes and pedals. Recently decided to invest in a pretty expensive fit with a well-regarded fitter in town.

Said dropping down a crank arm size would help.

So - everything he said made sense until he told me he couldn't resolve my leg discrepancy issues with MTB shoes. Said I had one foot dropping lower than other foot and he needed to shim my right foot. I tried to tell him road shoes didn't really fit with my style of riding and he just straight up said it was impossible for him to resolve my issues without road shoes - that it is impossible to shim a mtb shoe.

So dropped 300 on fit, 120 on new cranks, 100 on new pedals and 250 on new road shoes. Put it all together and went in and then he said no shim was now needed, he noticed it from my pelvis, that I looked entirely different with the new shoes and actually put a tiny wedge on my left foot.

When I asked him later to explain he said my original Sidi Dom MTB shoes were too big and the pedals were not providing a stable platform, requiring additional recruitment from leg muscles for stability, that are not designed for that task. Again he said is impossible to shim and wedge mtb shoes/pedals.

Now I gotta admit - the fit feels good, but I can't help thinking we could have gotten the same result from just a better fitting MTB shoe. Although the fit has definitely reduced the symptoms I was having, I've found I loathe the 105 pedals and have already destroyed one cleat in just over a month of commuting. I just cannot get going without looking down to get the cleat in. I realize there's other options in terms of pedals - but I don't want to invest anymore than I already have if I'm just going to go back to MTB interface.

Advice here needed. If I was using this fit for straight up long rides and or training I'd def stick with road pedals. But now that wintery weather is on the way for my commute - I'm wondering if I should just get a refund and go with someone who can fit the way I ride 80% of the time.

Last edited by bobin2; 10-14-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:13 PM

What he told you makes sense. It is difficult to shim/wedge MTB cleats; it makes them even more unstable on the pedal.

I'm surprised he didn't try to correct your feet with insoles/heel wedges though, as they work with any shoe (or did he?)

I'd just stick with the road shoes/pedals and learn how to trackstand.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroon View Post
What he told you makes sense. It is difficult to shim/wedge MTB cleats; it makes them even more unstable on the pedal.

I'm surprised he didn't try to correct your feet with insoles/heel wedges though, as they work with any shoe (or did he?)

I'd just stick with the road shoes/pedals and learn how to trackstand.
Thanks it helps to read someone say stick w road shoes.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:41 AM

Here are two ways I've dealt with my 8 mm leg length discrepancy:

1. Two-sided SPD pedals with road shoes with soles which can take either two-bolt SPD or three-bolt SPD-SL cleats. Use an extra insole and a Shimano SH-85 adapter on the shorter leg with SH-70 or SH-71 cleats. These adapters and cleats may have been discontinued but you may be able to find them on the internet. If you do find them, buy extras.

2. Extra insole and 5 mm shorter crank arm with mountain shoes, mountain cleats and mountain pedals. You may notice the shorter crank arm length when standing to pedal; you won't notice it while seated. I went back to this approach last summer after a hamstring tear on the shorter leg, hoping not to stretch the tendon quite so forcefully at the top of the pedal stroke when riding hard. I believe all Shimano 10-speed and 11-speed crank arms are interchangeable. I'm enjoying not thinking about my shoes while walking in them.

Another option I haven't tried: Speedplay SYZR pedals, available custom with 2-15 mm lift for the shorter leg. Low profile recessed cleat with mountain shoes. See the Speedplay webpage for details of the custom option.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeauDL View Post
Here are two ways I've dealt with my 8 mm leg length discrepancy
Thanks - again the fitter did not measure me. He deduced a leg length discrepancy based on stroke and that my chain was bouncing a bit. He emailed me when I was hesitant to get road shoes that he had to have road shoes to fix this issue.

I had to go to my wife and try to explain the expense to her. Then - when I got the road shoes - he was like - oh you don't need a shim on your right you need a wedge on your left.

I'm sure the guy knows what he's doing - I just have to find a way to explain this to myself and my wife.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:33 PM

Is it possible to put a riser in your mtb shoe to raise your foot rather than the raising the whole shoe with a shim?