Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
Humm, so he shone in a friendly, in marketing county, which was played without WC participants and 9 subs each at half time, him being the only one on the pitch who gave a horses *** about a win, and maybe even assisted by some friendly advice from a Nike representative to friend, foe and ref to let the local hero look good if the opportunity arose?

Nah he's a promising prospect, but currently rightfully regarded to be player #15 or #16 in the BVB squad, recently been passed by 3-4 players his age or younger. Decent player with potential, but far away from being a world beater.
Bruun Larsen is no better than Pulisic. Sancho is an once-a-generation talent. So he's been passed by 1 other player on the squad. No idea how you are getting "3-4 players his age"

-----------------------------------------------

also, kinda amusing that people are clutching pearls at this

https://www.theguardian.com/football...every-opponent

granted, Bielsa does look like a villain in that photo, but if practices are open to public, i don't see anything wrong with sending a scout to attend.

if some are non-public, then of course he should be penalized
Old 01-16-2019, 02:05 PM
Cranky!

It's really Sancho, and the jury is still out on the scope of his talent.

But the fact remains that he is ahead of Pulisic in the pecking order at the moment. That is a valid point . . .

A great player should be able to adapt to a new club, new league, new manager, new system. Let's hope he starts at Chelsea with a league title in his pocket!
Old 01-16-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
It's really Sancho, and the jury is still out on the scope of his talent.

But the fact remains that he is ahead of Pulisic in the pecking order at the moment. That is a valid point . . .

A great player should be able to adapt to a new club, new league, new manager, new system. Let's hope he starts at Chelsea with a league title in his pocket!
what if he does it at the expense of your Scousers? after all, his best play of all time would be him pick-pocketing Bayern's Javi Martinez and then slotting the ball home

you know, in a fashion similar to

Steve Gerrard Gerrad,
Slipped on his f****** a***,
Gave the ball to Demba ba...

okay, i'll stop
Old 01-16-2019, 03:10 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Bruun Larsen is no better than Pulisic. Sancho is an once-a-generation talent. So he's been passed by 1 other player on the squad. No idea how you are getting "3-4 players his age"
Zagadou, Hakimi, Bruun-Larsen and Sancho all are same age as Pulisic and secured their spots in the starting 11, while Pulisic lost his. (2 of those are defenders).
Pulisic is behind Sancho, BL, Reus, Götze and Guerreiro in the competition for a starting spot, and he neglected to do anything against it very much; in fact, he dropeed from starter to 60min-sub to 89min sub.

I fully understand that my own optinion is worthless in this thread, since it differs from yours. That is why i only quoted well-reputed experts, such as Mr. Favre. The "currently 14-15th in the squad" are his words.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:18 PM
Cranky!

Quote:
what if he does it at the expense of your Scousers?
Obviously, that can never happen.

I meant a Bundesliga title.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Zagadou, Hakimi, Bruun-Larsen and Sancho all are same age as Pulisic and secured their spots in the starting 11, while Pulisic lost his. (2 of those are defenders).
Pulisic is behind Sancho, BL, Reus, Götze and Guerreiro in the competition for a starting spot, and he neglected to do anything against it very much; in fact, he dropeed from starter to 60min-sub to 89min sub.

I fully understand that my own optinion is worthless in this thread, since it differs from yours. That is why i only quoted well-reputed experts, such as Mr. Favre. The "currently 14-15th in the squad" are his words.
Zagadou is a central defender; Hakimi is a fullback. So them starting has nothing to do with Pulisic

Bruun-Larsen has not taken the spot from Pulisic, more like Guererro is doing better than both and is getting the nod

your opinion isn't worthless, but you have to type what you meant to say. Getting passed over means getting passed over by people with whom one is in direct competition. This applies to neither Hakimi nor DAZ.

Quote:
Obviously, that can never happen.

I meant a Bundesliga title.

i really wish he'd sign for LFC, as it was Klopp who first signed him

really hoping Klopp et al. can pull one over Pepe. Amazing that Kompany wasn't sent off for that rash challenge on Salah, but the Wolves player who had a similar legs-off-the-ground challenge got a direct red...

Last edited by echappist; 01-16-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:20 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Zagadou is a central defender; Hakimi is a fullback. So them starting has nothing to do with Pulisic

Bruun-Larsen has not taken the spot from Pulisic, more like Guererro is doing better than both and is getting the nod

your opinion isn't worthless, but you have to type what you meant to say. Getting passed over means getting passed over by people with whom one is in direct competition. This applies to neither Hakimi nor DAZ.
fact is, those four are the same age as CP and are starting. CP currently often is the last sub to come in, if at all.
moreover, almost every time CP played, bvb was unable to produce their trademark fast attacking style. Guerrero/Sancho are faster, technkcally more refined and with a better eye for situations.
Quote:
i really wish he'd sign for LFC, as it was Klopp who first signed him
it is a common misconception that Klopp signed players at BVB - Bundesliga clubs dont have tge english style team manager/ coach role. there are Coaches, and Managers. Coaches train players and the team, managers hire them. a coach may well express a wish (as Pep did with Thiago) but the decision is the managers (as when Hoeness sold Kroos much to Peps dismay). with 16 year old prospects, i dont think the first team coach even gets told, it simply isnt his job.

Dortmunds manager is Zorc, him and the scouts hired Pulisic.

Last edited by martl; 01-17-2019 at 01:23 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:47 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
Dortmunds manager is Zorc, him and the scouts hired Pulisic.
Sven Mislintat, in the news again of late, is generally credited with bringing Pulisic to Dortmund.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:00 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Sven Mislintat, in the news again of late, is generally credited with bringing Pulisic to Dortmund.
He played a big part in building the BVB squad. Same as Reschke did in Leverkusen or Munich.
To give an example about how little influence even top team managers (coaches) in the BuLi have, take FCBs Nico Kovac, who apparently didn't even know about Bayern approaching Hernandez and Hudson-Odoi. A big part of Tuchel leaving BVB was that he was frustrated he didn't get the players he wanted.

There have been Coach/Team Managers UK style in the BuLi (Magath at Schalke and Wolfsburg), and it hasn't been exactly a success. Some coaches will be involved in the planning of the squad, to what extent varies between clubs. The final decision is not with the coach, usually.

Last edited by martl; 01-17-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:46 AM

be honest, @goonster, how much blood pressure meds did you need while watching that roller coaster of a game? cracking match

how Palace isn't in the top half of the table is a bit of a puzzle

in other news, Spurs look knackered. No Kane, no Son, and likely no Dele. Llorente missing sitters. Daniel Levy has a royal problem on his hand, due to his refusal to spend. I wonder what Pooch may consider too far a bridge to cross and just ends his involvement...

Also, Sarri seems to be losing his marbles, taking a page out of the Mourinho playbook... Most seemed to have figured out how to play neutralize Jorginho (who has no assists with 2000 passes played). I'm a bit cynical and think that the Pulisic transfer was made to entice others to purchase the club from a kleptocrat who may be running short of cash...
Old 01-23-2019, 03:52 PM

Got to go to Anfield over the weekend. First time since 2012 at Anfield

I've seen them at Fulham and QPR and in Basel and Kiev in between the 2.

Anfield has changed a lot, massively developed, had some great seats in the 10th row of the Anfield Road Stand - close enough to the Palace fans who were in great voice. the new Main Stand is enormous, but the stadium still feels very cosy, amazing the difference. the pitch being so close to the seats is great !

An oddity about Anfield is there are no screens, so no replays of anything, word just gets back about the action the other end, and its hard to see the opposite end of the pitch, was that a deflection? wait till someone else confirms.

Also the game just flies by! Anyway still ahead of City. carry on!
Old 01-25-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdb View Post
Got to go to Anfield over the weekend. First time since 2012 at Anfield

I've seen them at Fulham and QPR and in Basel and Kiev in between the 2.

Anfield has changed a lot, massively developed, had some great seats in the 10th row of the Anfield Road Stand - close enough to the Palace fans who were in great voice. the new Main Stand is enormous, but the stadium still feels very cosy, amazing the difference. the pitch being so close to the seats is great !

An oddity about Anfield is there are no screens, so no replays of anything, word just gets back about the action the other end, and its hard to see the opposite end of the pitch, was that a deflection? wait till someone else confirms.

Also the game just flies by! Anyway still ahead of City. carry on!
your old Mancunian rivals certainly look strong. Playing against them at Old Trafford is going to be an ask. But then again, I bet Sheikty wouldn't want to play against them at OT either, given ManU's current form

either Chelsea or Tottenham may find themselves outside of the Top 4 due to ManU's resurgence

Last edited by echappist; 01-25-2019 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
be honest, @goonster, how much blood pressure meds did you need while watching that roller coaster of a game? cracking match

how Palace isn't in the top half of the table is a bit of a puzzle

in other news, Spurs look knackered. No Kane, no Son, and likely no Dele. Llorente missing sitters. Daniel Levy has a royal problem on his hand, due to his refusal to spend. I wonder what Pooch may consider too far a bridge to cross and just ends his involvement...

Also, Sarri seems to be losing his marbles, taking a page out of the Mourinho playbook... Most seemed to have figured out how to play neutralize Jorginho (who has no assists with 2000 passes played). I'm a bit cynical and think that the Pulisic transfer was made to entice others to purchase the club from a kleptocrat who may be running short of cash...
and they are about to claim another scalp, albeit with Spurs seriously depleted (no Kane, no Eriksen, no Dele, no Son).
Old 01-28-2019, 03:36 PM

Anyone watch USMNT vs Panama? If so, your thoughts?
Old 01-28-2019, 04:01 PM

thoughts? you are a more die-hard fan than i

couldn't be bothered to watch, when the European contingent isn't there.

after the B squad won the 2017 Gold Cup only for the A squad to blow its chances, im just not sure how meaningful these games are

otoh, Weah is apparently tearing it up in Scotland