Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2020, 09:26 PM

Anybody running 12spd Campagnolo with 11spd cranks?

I decided to pick up some 12spd chorus to try out on my road bike and have all but the crankset. I am using a campagnolo cx11 currently and was wondering if it will be compatible or should I just order a new chorus crankset? Anybody out there try this or know if it will work?
Old 08-11-2020, 10:16 PM

Im using a Sugino 10/11 crankset with chorus 12 and it works great.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:19 PM

I’ve seen several reports with various 11spd power meters and white industries cranks. No personal experience however.

My vote is get the chorus 12 crankset. Treat yourself.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DfCas View Post
Im using a Sugino 10/11 crankset with chorus 12 and it works great.

Good to know! Are you using a 12 spd chain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
I’ve seen several reports with various 11spd power meters and white industries cranks. No personal experience however.

My vote is get the chorus 12 crankset. Treat yourself.

I think I am just going to order a crankset. I figure if I am going to go 12spd I might as well go all in!

Old 08-11-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Good to know! Are you using a 12 spd chain?

Yes, a chorus 12 speed chain.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:31 PM

I have 12 speed Super Record running on an 11 speed Super Record crankset with Campy 12 speed chain. It works perfectly. The rest of your drivetrain won’t know the crankset is 11 speed.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I think I am just going to order a crankset. I figure if I am going to go 12spd I might as well go all in!

Do it!

The matching finish between the chainrings and derailleur cage, ultra torque, and the cleaner graphic design will all make it worth it. I am so glad Campagnolo is back to minimal graphics and branding.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:49 AM

It's not recommended.

The 11s chainring teeth are wider at the root, which can cause the front shifting to hang and in testing we saw chain-suck effects with wear and tear in some cases / frame geometries. Chainring spacing is different as well, so chain control is compromised on front shift.

Front shifting under pressure is particularly affected. Unsurprisingly, given the amount of time and money spent in R and D, the tens of thousands of hours spent in CAD, then prototyping, then in the lab and on the road testing on a wide variety of different geometry and specification bikes, the whole system works better if everything matches.

If you are unfortunate and have an incident of any kind, you are not covered by the Campagnolo warranty, either technical ("x, y or z broke") or functional ("if I do x, y does / doesn't happen") so if you investing money in 12s it makes little sense to bin the warranty that you are in fact paying for ...
Old 08-12-2020, 06:31 AM

Of course it’s “not recommended” by the manufacturer...they want to sell and support only the latest and “compatibly matched” system.
Common sense real world use would suggest otherwise than what you are claiming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfk_velo View Post
It's not recommended.

The 11s chainring teeth are wider at the root, which can cause the front shifting to hang and in testing we saw chain-suck effects with wear and tear in some cases / frame geometries. Chainring spacing is different as well, so chain control is compromised on front shift.

Front shifting under pressure is particularly affected. Unsurprisingly, given the amount of time and money spent in R and D, the tens of thousands of hours spent in CAD, then prototyping, then in the lab and on the road testing on a wide variety of different geometry and specification bikes, the whole system works better if everything matches.

If you are unfortunate and have an incident of any kind, you are not covered by the Campagnolo warranty, either technical ("x, y or z broke") or functional ("if I do x, y does / doesn't happen") so if you investing money in 12s it makes little sense to bin the warranty that you are in fact paying for ...
Old 08-12-2020, 06:32 AM
aka RAEKWON

I say get that cool chorus 12 crank
Old 08-12-2020, 06:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Probably but no doom and gloom and predictions that the whole system will blow up or the earth will stop spinning..put that 11s crank onto that 12s 'system', use a 12s chain and use finesse when shifting and OMG, it will work just fine..

Geez, I installed a 10s system onto a bike with a 1985 SuperRecord crank, throw in some Deltas and ayup, it worked and shifted just fine..with a 1985 SR front der too...Gad Zooks!!
Quote:
Of course it’s “not recommended” by the manufacturer...they want to sell and support only the latest and “compatibly matched” system.
Common sense real world use would suggest otherwise than what you are claiming.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:05 AM

Thanks folks. I just ordered a new record compact crankset since it was in stock at a reasonable price.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:14 AM

I'm using a Record 12spd crank with 11spd chainrings on a 10spd drivetrain - gfk_velo is going to blow a gasket.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I'm using a Record 12spd crank with 11spd chainrings on a 10spd drivetrain - gfk_velo is going to blow a gasket.
I use SRAM 12-speed master links on my 12-speed Super Record bikes, too. And no non-drive side clip, either. So much for things having to match to run perfectly!