Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2019, 01:32 PM

Thoughts on the Gorilla Monsoon?

Hi, could yall help?

I am Looking for a all rounder, with gravel, tour, utility focus. It would see occasional single track too, but i have another bike for that. It Needs to be able to handle racks and loads, and pull kid trailers, which my other current bike cannot.
2.2 tires minimum.
I have had several bikes over the years and my perspective with those steers me towards a high volume tire road/gravel bike.

Though I do not understand the branding, I love the look and stated purpose of the all-city gorilla monsoon, but have not found one locally to ride. I would be in for a frameset as well and building it up as i do not like the kit on the complete bike. I like the looks and paint though, I hope it goes beyond that.

Has anyone here ridden one and could give some feedback?
I am worried about toe overlap, when looking at wheelbase - chainstay length, and bb drop there seems like there will be more room then there was on my old 56 cross check. 3/4 of a inch-ish. (for more reference, i felt like my cross check was too twitchy, with too short a stack) It was more fussy in handling to ride off road than a trucker. Seems like the GM would be between the two.

Or should I just get a Long haul trucker frame and build it up with all my extra 26" mtb stuff i have around... I have ridden one in my size and liked it well enough, though it is really stiff unloaded which mine usually would be. Shorter stays would be nice too.

Does anyone know the weight either of these frames?

Thanks!