Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2024, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philster View Post
I wouldn’t draw any conclusions about the tech until I’ve read a longer term review from someone like DC Rainmaker. The accuracy of the meter being 1% versus 2% doesn’t matter to me at all. Where power meters tend to fall down is in what I’m going to call precision (I might be miss using the term). It’s the repeatability of this results without drop-outs and other anomalies. Power meter reliability is terrible. Campy certainly has not proven itself in this regard.

More Tech-for-tech sake, when people use technology simply because they can rather than because they should or need it. One percent accuracy precision in a road Power Meter is a complete waste of quality. Scientific testing different story. Like driving a two hundred plus mph automobile on public roads.

Last edited by m_sasso; 04-04-2024 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-04-2024, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackus View Post
I was looking at this, I believe also advertised in the classifieds.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19605445188...Bk9SR7zr6Z7VYw
That is one drop-dead gorgeous bicycle!
Old 04-04-2024, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
That is one drop-dead gorgeous bicycle!
I think this one was a re-spray, but the serotta orange pink fade is def one of my favorite paint jobs I've seen out there.
Old 04-04-2024, 10:21 PM

Non-replaceable battery btw. once that thing is toast you have to send it in to get the battery replaced. That would cost you another $1k
Old 04-05-2024, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackus View Post
I think this one was a re-spray, but the serotta orange pink fade is def one of my favorite paint jobs I've seen out there.
Sadly that is the fate of any of them since they tend to fade out if you actually ride them. Also the paint is notoriously fragile :/
Old 04-05-2024, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
More Tech-for-tech sake, when people use technology simply because they can rather than because they should or need it. One percent accuracy precision in a road Power Meter is a complete waste of quality. Scientific testing different story. Like driving a two hundred plus mph automobile on public roads.
This 100%. And what is the standard they are measuring to?
Old 04-05-2024, 06:34 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by StruggleClimber View Post
Campy is definitely leaning into the "luxury" market. looks great though
'Leaning'?? Been that way for a while, like maybe, I dunno, decades? Not Shimano, not sram, just like Seiko makes a high end watch, and Toyota makes a high end car...They aren't Rolex or Audi or.....putnameofpremiumbrandthing here.
Old 04-05-2024, 06:37 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
Non-replaceable battery btw. once that thing is toast you have to send it in to get the battery replaced. That would cost you another $1k
Checked with Campagnolo,NA, not $1000 for a new battery, not even close..more like $850 or so..

Sarcasm...I guess you forgot the or or

Lessee, how much is a SRM? I forget...
Old 04-05-2024, 07:39 AM

*duplicate post
Old 04-05-2024, 07:39 AM

SRM offers a PowerMeter Comprehensive Service for $200, which includes battery replacement, recalibration, and QC test at least this is for the SRM 9

You can also upgrade other, select SRM to rechargeable USB based SRM 9 boards for $850
Old 04-05-2024, 08:54 AM

Definitely an expensive piece of kit but pricing seems to be inline when compared to the SRM esp the campy version which looks to be around 2700 on their site once you add rings. Sounds like the WRL one has a ti axle compared to SRM's steel one.
Id be interested to see a comparision between the two as far as function/reliability/
I do dig the way it looks...
Old 04-05-2024, 09:12 AM

The folks over at Weight Weenies think that the SR WRL power meter was made in partnership with SRM, based on the description of the status LEDs. Looking at the manuals for each, I have to agree that the status LED operation appears to be identical, which certainly implies similar firmware:

https://www.campagnolo.com/on/demand...00_02_2024.pdf
https://srm.de/wp-content/uploads/20...al_v1.4_en.pdf
Old 04-05-2024, 09:14 AM

in italy is roughly 1700€ which is not bad at all considering that Stages single side is 900€.
Shimano DA power meter with chainrings is 1200-1300 and it's made in alloy.

For once I think Campagnolo did not set an outrageous price for their component. and integrated battery is a big thing. Much better insulated from the elements compared to replaceable batteries and, in my book, not an issue at all, actually a big plus. Steve Jobs teaches...closed systems are always superior.
Old 04-05-2024, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryun View Post
Definitely an expensive piece of kit but pricing seems to be inline when compared to the SRM esp the campy version which looks to be around 2700 on their site once you add rings. Sounds like the WRL one has a ti axle compared to SRM's steel one.
Id be interested to see a comparision between the two as far as function/reliability/
I do dig the way it looks...
This
Old 04-05-2024, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
Li-ion batteries last a long time. I bet it's rated to retain 80% of full capacity after 500 charge cycles. Your phone will hit 500 charge cycles in 2-3 years. If you have a pair of Assiomas, you'd notice they probably take a lot longer to hit 500 cycles. You charger them a lot less frequently than a phone. Plus even if they hit 80% capacity, that doesn't mean throw them out immediately. And the Assiomas aren't serviceable.

If Campy will replace the battery, then IMO that's another plus. If it is US$850, that's not cheap, but it strikes me as not absurd. Yes, they're pricier than just buying Assiomas and replacing them.