Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2024, 08:08 PM
Back At It!

105 Di2 vs Rival AXS

Ok, so I did a search on the forum as well as google forum search and didn't turn recent stuff up..

As I compare the new Roubaix builds, I'm not sure the Roval carbon wheels and SRAM power meter are worth an extra $1,200 by themselves.. so the question becomes Rival AXS (on the pricier Expert build) or 105 Di2 (on the Comp build).. what do you all got pitting these two against each other? Is is just really personal preference?

Would love to hear from some folks who have ridden both.. FWIW, I've never had e-shifting to this point..

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2024, 08:36 PM

For sure personal preference. If I was setting up myself from scratch I’d get AXS but on a pre built bike where I’ll basically never ever have to touch the internal wiring, I’d get Di2 105 all day long. Looks better, hood shape is better/smaller, crankset looks nicer. All IMO of course.

I also prefer the Shimano method of shifting versus SRAMs.

I’ve not owned either but test ride both for what it’s worth.
Old 03-12-2024, 08:40 PM

If you want a bunch of rando wires, batteries and schitt fished inside your frame; get shimano. If not.. buy sram
Old 03-12-2024, 08:54 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
If you want a bunch of rando wires, batteries and schitt fished inside your frame; get shimano. If not.. buy sram
If you want comically large fugly derailleurs, get SRAM.

...neither of our comments is steeped in truth or honest assessment.
Old 03-12-2024, 09:58 PM
Back At It!

All I need now is Old P telling me SRAM is crap, Shimano has no soul, and I need Campy..

I am, of course, just kidding.. as JK pointed out, this will be on a pre-built bike so I'm not too worried about having wires to deal with since I won't be dealing with them.. I do like the idea of the longer-lasting Shimano battery and I'm usually, knock on wood, pretty good about keeping things charged..

One of my questions/concerns is when we move to Oregon in a couple years and I am forced to ride in less than sunny weather.. I know the SRAM is stupid easy to use with gloves on, not sure on the Shimano.. and to be fair, I really doubt I'd be our riding if I needed to wear full ski gloves.. also, I have a couple pair of Bar Mitts from when I was in Alaska last..
Old 03-12-2024, 10:25 PM

Toss up - both have pros and cons. I'd buy the cheaper one in this case and upgrade the wheels later if you care.

SRAM:
+Clutched RD with better chain retention
+Far superior battery system (easier charging, can carry spares if needed, not reliant on wires)
+Wider range gearing
+Inexpensive power meter option
-HEAVY

Shimano:
+Nicer hood shape
+Lighter
-Fragile Di2 wires
-No clutch in RD
-Di2 annoying to adjust
-Weak finishes prone to scuffing
Old 03-13-2024, 03:56 AM

I really don't understand the preference for SRAM's battery system. Sure, no wires to run when the bike is built, but having just done a couple of Di2 installs in the last year, including 105 Di2 last month, we're talking a few minutes of extra time here. For that you get derailleurs that look normal without huge battery protusions, and a battery that needs to be charged a couple of times per year rather than every couple of weeks.

Shifting Di2 with heavy gloves on isn't always perfect, but it's honestly better than mechanical. No real issues even with my ski gloves this winter.

Di2 adjustment is dead simple. Put the derailleur into adjustment mode. The shift buttons then act as a digital trim equivalent to turning a barrel adjuster.

That said, this is largely a personal preference. If you don't have one, I'd try to test ride bikes with each system. Also, $1200 for a power meter and carbon wheels IS a pretty good deal. Each of those may cost near to that on their own.

Last edited by gravelreformist; 03-13-2024 at 03:58 AM.
Old 03-13-2024, 04:12 AM

Personal preference and would be a hard choice for me. I have both Sram and Shimano electric bikes.

My pros:

Sram
Much more intuitive shifting.
Large paddles easy to hit.
While you do have to charge more often (once a month at most) - it is easier to charge. Bring batteries to plug as opposed to bike to plug. And sometimes charging more often keeps you in the habit instead of being out on a ride 8 months since your last charge and realize you are low on battery.

Shimano
Runs a little quieter/smoother

Specifically for 105, I find the rear derailleur kind of ugly, whereas normally I would give the aesthetics to Shimano.

It might come down to the power meter/wheels. Are you going to get those if you get the Shimano? Do you have specific ones you are interested? How much are they?

You can certainly get those for $1200, but not necessarily nicer ones.
Old 03-13-2024, 04:25 AM

sram shifting has a slight delay because the two buttons have to wait for each other to confirm if it's a RD shift or a FD shift. also sram derailleurs look bulky and have shorter battery life than di2.
Old 03-13-2024, 04:29 AM

imo get the basic roubaix sl8 (the one below sport) and swapout the mechanical group and allow wheels to something nice. you will save a lot compared to the comp with stock 105 di2
Old 03-13-2024, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelreformist View Post
That said, this is largely a personal preference. If you don't have one, I'd try to test ride bikes with each system. Also, $1200 for a power meter and carbon wheels IS a pretty good deal. Each of those may cost near to that on their own.
Came here to say exactly this... The wheels that come on the Comp are heavy and you're gonna end up not loving them. A power meter, while not necessary, is a nice little bonus.

I personally have not used either DI2 or axs, but everyone will have something good/bad to say about each. Within a week of owning it you'll be used to how whichever one feels and functions and it won't be something you even think about.

and just generally slightly question the Roubaix, that is a bike I personally don't understand the appeal of.
Old 03-13-2024, 05:25 AM
ZhugeLiang

4-pal, they both worked fine.

I felt that you have gone through a period of trying different things, partial solutions, impulse or budget buys, none of which have completely worked to your satisfaction and now you are ready to drop some serious coin and hoping that you will hit the jackpot or reach cycling nirvana.

I think that's putting a lot of eggs in one basket, perhaps raising an unrealistic level of expectation.

I understand the frustrations.

For me, it's all part of the fun - the experimentations, the process of self-discovery, the variety of experience - that's why I have bikes of all shapes and forms, steel/alum/titanium/carbon, ranging from size 49 all the way to 58 and they all "fit" , mechanical vs electronic, rim brake vs disc brake, standard reach vs mid-long reach brakes, road-allroad-gravel, tire width clearance from 25mm to 50mm, narrow vs wide handlebar, short stem vs long stem, tubed vs tubeless, so on and so forth - it runs the gamut.

No fixed position.

Be like water.

Last edited by weisan; 03-13-2024 at 06:26 AM.
Old 03-13-2024, 05:35 AM

With the caveat that I think both bikes are overpriced, the wheels can be found for under $700 and the power meter can be found for under $200, so I definitely wouldn't pay $1,200 extra just for those things.
Old 03-13-2024, 05:36 AM

I like the set up and ease of use on the Sram AXS stuff, but the Di2 is a little bit crisper shifting from my experience. I end up building up all of my bikes at some point and the ease of set up for AXS is why I stick with it. If the Di2 was wireless I would be more likely to use it!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2024, 05:42 AM

If you are setting it up yourself, SRAM. If you are having a shop do it. Di2

If you care about fast shifting, Shimano. SRAM is slow.

If you care about braking, Shimano. Never had SRAM brakes that did not howl.

If you care about hood shape and looks, SRAM. Shimno brifters are UGLY.

Last edited by vespasianus; 03-13-2024 at 08:05 AM.