Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2018, 09:07 PM
ZhugeLiang

yo miller pal, your Raleigh in the background served as the inspiration for my first custom bike. The picture as shown was also the way I rode it on my first D2R2.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:18 PM

Nice bike there Weisan however mine is the single speed CX version!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2018, 09:51 PM
Administrator

great picture here. shows my awesome accommodations and also those sweet red 32c panaracer paselas that i've ridden a few d2r2s on. fat tires before fat tires were cool.

re: water bottles - two big bottles are more than enough for d2. there are enough rest stops that you dont need to carry a boatload of water.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:13 AM
ZhugeLiang

I know for some, this would be your first time and you are wondering what it will be like on the day itself. I have finally got around to processing some of the videos I have captured at D2R2 back in 2016. Hopefully, these videos will give you some idea.

This is the start of the ride. We were camping the night before with a whole bunch of other people out in the fields close to the start point. We met up with a group of forum pals and rode together.

We hit the first gravel section, it's also the first serious climb of the day.

Riding towards our first rest stop

Arriving at our first rest stop. All the rest stops are well stocked and run by friendly and helpful volunteers.

Lunch time!

Leaving our lunch stop and riding on the scenic river road

One of the rest stops is at the top of the hill and has fresh peaches!

The last monster hill - Patton

Someone asked whether it's gonna be crowded on the road. Not really. For the most part, folks will be riding within their small groups of 2s and 3s. Here, I encountered a slightly bigger group of 6-8 riders.

Okey dokey, that's all I got folks, enjoy!

Last edited by weisan; 08-07-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:27 AM
aka RAEKWON

/\ that looks like the 100k. The peaches after the hill are the best. I missed that when I did the 115k and the mystery last year.

Thought about doing the 100k again, think its my favorite so far (the mystery last year was amazinng too though).

128k mystery this year. Will have to so the 160k some day. No interest in the 180k.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:10 AM

In for the 115km for the first time. Excited! Tires will be Donnelly USH 700X40. Still playing with pressure, somewhere around 35-40psi seems to be the sweet spot.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:23 AM

That was a good day. Nice work Weisan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
I have finally got around to processing some of the videos I have captured at D2R2 back in 2016. Hopefully, these videos will give you some idea.

Instagram
Old 08-07-2018, 09:52 AM

Thanks all for the replies/suggestions.

I am feeling better based on the feedback. From last year at the 115k I know what I am in for (generally speaking) with the hills, albeit way more of them. Now I just need to make sure I get enough rest before and water/nutrition on the day of.

I am getting psyched...
Old 08-07-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
You'll have as much or as little company as you want, tons of riders on the road but it never feels crowded. Try to find some folks moving at your pace and strike up some small talk, ya never know, might make a new friend or two!

The 180 is a challenge for sure, an all-day adventure and just as tough as you think, but very do-able with the right gearing, nutrition and hydration. There is also usually a bail out route at least at the lunch stop, if not a few other places along the way. It's only really important that you stay on your registered route until lunch (due to food distribution) but after that you can kinda do whatever you want. Very common for people to combine 2 routes based on how they feel and who they may end up meeting along the way.

Bottom line though, you can't miss with either the 160 or 180, or any route for that matter, they are all fantastic.
Thanks for the info. I think I'm gonna try to 180 and hope my legs deliver.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:15 AM
ZhugeLiang

Just because I won't make it this year doesn't mean I can't play the "what's your setup for D2R2 this year" game.

So, let's pretend I will be there this year, having learned from my experience the last two times, this is what I would run with.

Option #1:
Charge Plug 5 Ti hydro disc
SRAM 1X 40t front 11-42t rear
Gravel King SK 40 mm

Option #2:
Van Dessel W-T-F
Spyre mechanical disc
Shimano 9 speed front triple chainring 50-39-30T, rear 11-34t
Clement X'Plor MSO 40mm

Ok. What about you? What's your weapon or beverage of choice this year? Picture highly encouraged.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Picture highly encouraged.
this one is already dirty, so i'll take it

Old 08-08-2018, 10:30 AM

I’ll play! This is my #1 choice. I’ll be running 50/34 up front and a 10-40 in the rear. Most likely 650b with smooth gravel king 1.9s(48mm)
2nd choice would be this Zank set up with force 1x with an 11-40 rear and 40t ring up front in 650b with gravel king 38mm smooth tread.

These very well could end up not going once I build up the Stigmata. The Santa Cruz will be set up with Rival 1x hydro and some Stans Valor Pro 700c wheels and compass Steilicoom tires. Also just picked up some Easton ec70 ax bars for it. I will see how it feels later this week and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Also just picked up some Easton ec70 ax bars for it. I will see how it feels later this week and go from there.
FWIW, I ended up taking my EC70 AX off and replacing them with a set of alu Ritchey EvoMax. I ride a lot on the tops and the perfectly round top of the Eastons just didn't work for me. The more compact Ritchey drop also seems a bit better for me. Actually have a set of the new Ritchey ErgoMax on the way from Germany, but looks like they're snarled up in DHL hell, so I won't have them for D2R2.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:18 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbagelookin View Post
FWIW, I ended up taking my EC70 AX off and replacing them with a set of alu Ritchey EvoMax. I ride a lot on the tops and the perfectly round top of the Eastons just didn't work for me. The more compact Ritchey drop also seems a bit better for me. Actually have a set of the new Ritchey ErgoMax on the way from Germany, but looks like they're snarled up in DHL hell, so I won't have them for D2R2.
I thought about buying some EX70s but not sure I am a flare guy. So what I did was get some salsa cowbell deluxe... very small flare, start with these and see. I tried them before and did not like em but we will see if I can get used to them this time around. If I like these I may consider more flare or getting the same in carbon
Old 08-08-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I thought about buying some EX70s but not sure I am a flare guy. So what I did was get some salsa cowbell deluxe... very small flare, start with these and see. I tried them before and did not like em but we will see if I can get used to them this time around. If I like these I may consider more flare or getting the same in carbon
I actually like the flare and drop on cowbells. Forgot they started making them in carbon. Something to consider. I really like Ritcheys generally, so if these ErgoMax work, I'll make the jump to carbon. For gravel, 3T have a new bar (the Superghiaia) that actually looks awesome - nice flat top with a flare that only moves out after the hood curve - but obviously they're primo $$ for now.