Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2018, 03:52 PM

sorry, I'm late to the party.

I am riding the family route this year with my daughter.

She is seriously stoked, and we may have to do two laps of the loop and a bonus hill to match her readiness. I am also excited to ride, after all these years, in an unhurried fashion that will allow ample time for cool-off stops in the rushing water of the adjacent river.

tire status: her turquoise Islabike is fitted with proper Maxxis Snyper 24x2.0 and my hardtail with Ardent Race 27.5x2.35. psi will be exactly medium-softish between thumb and forefinger.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 08-06-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:26 PM

the 180k is a test of will regardless of preparation. I ride ~100m/wk; rarely more than 2 hours at a time and seldom with significant elevation. More saddle time and hills would help, but the keys to success for me are:

arrive rested, healthy and very fit.
go easy and keep moving.
ride a familiar functioning bike.
drink and eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs7282 View Post
Question for all you 180k veterans out there:

What was your training like in the weeks/months leading up to completing the 180k? Type of riding, miles, typical elevation, et cetera?

And, how prepared did you feel during the big ride based on that training?

Any other words of wisdom or advice for a 180k noob is also of interest...

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 08-06-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:

What was your training like in the weeks/months leading up to completing the 180k? Type of riding, miles, typical elevation, et cetera?

I did a couple of 65 - 80 mile "gravel rides" with about 100ft elevation per mile a couple of months leading into D2R2. When I say gravel rides the roads were much rougher than D2R2. Just take your time. Go slow on the hills (at least til you get to Patten Hill). Stay hydrated and fed. The worst part of D2R2 180K has consistently been the hilly, up and down, section before lunch. None of the big hills bothered me as much as that one.

One strategy I used one year was not to let my heart get above 135 bpm until lunch. That kept me slow and rested. Something to think about. I think I finished last out of the time riders for the 180K but I did finish.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i enjoy the tire talk to as part of the tradition and hype leading up to deerfield.

it seems that many folks, myself included have gravitated over to smooth tread supple tires like the gravel kings and compass offerings. what will be interesting, as someone up-thread mentioned is if we get a really wet day one of these years and the dirt stuff is muddy. that will certainly favor a little more aggressive tread tire.

i would like personally to try a pair of the knobby compass Steilacooms at some point.

i have to give a "come on man". those tires would be a PIA for D2R2.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:51 PM
ergottWheels

For a wet, loose terrain kind of day I have Gravel King SKs ready to go. I almost hope I get to use them one year.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:54 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
For a wet, loose terrain kind of day I have Gravel King SKs ready to go. I almost hope I get to use them one year.
That's interesting ergott pal, I love GK, I really do...but I thought GK SK sort of lose its luster when it comes to loose, sandy and muddy stuff. That's what I read, even though I haven't really tried it out myself in those types of situations.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:03 PM

Weisan,
Are the whiskey shots the key to keeping those damn mosquitos away when camping?
Old 08-06-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:

For training, I would merely try to get longer rides in on the weekends. I was riding roughly 3x during the week for 1-1.5hrs, and perhaps a 3-4hr. ride on the weekends. I was able to throw 1 or 2, 80 mile rides with similar roads and conditions. But once you hit your third or fourth climb on the 180k route, you'll start to realize this is going to be SERIOUS.

Don't laugh; one workout I had involved an isosceles triangle shaped loop. It was a 4 minute climb, 3 minute descent, and a 30 second third leg. I rode that for 4 hours!

I felt my training prepared me to not fail, but there definitely was some suffering; the hills are relentless, and some are ridiculously long.

If you can, carry some chamois cream with you. You will be doing A LOT of seated climbing due to the traction of the dirt climbs and your crotch won't air out. Things can get real raw, and applying some cream along the ride will definitely increase comfort if you begin to experience chafing.
You will NOT avoid pain on this ride!
Old 08-06-2018, 07:08 PM
ergottWheels

Admittedly, I don't have much time on those tires. I took them in the trails once and thought they hooked up enough for that.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:11 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corso View Post
Weisan,
Are the whiskey shots the key to keeping those damn mosquitos away when camping?
No need for whiskey, my beloved tent mate #492 emits a certain sound while he sleeps that acts as a natural mosquito deterrent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 492.jpg (119.1 KB, 242 views)
Old 08-06-2018, 07:15 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Admittedly, I don't have much time on those tires. I took them in the trails once and thought they hooked up enough for that.
Roger that. I rode them on a gravel ride a month ago and we came upon a sandy section, it slid around quite a bit.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Roger that. I rode them on a gravel ride a month ago and we came upon a sandy section, it slid around quite a bit.

FWIW, I swapped out my rear 650b GK 1.9” for a Terrence Elwood (47mm Tough) and feel like I get much better traction. Probably what I’ll be running at D2R2 given the road condition updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I did a couple of 65 - 80 mile "gravel rides" with about 100ft elevation per mile a couple of months leading into D2R2. When I say gravel rides the roads were much rougher than D2R2. Just take your time. Go slow on the hills (at least til you get to Patten Hill). Stay hydrated and fed. The worst part of D2R2 180K has consistently been the hilly, up and down, section before lunch. None of the big hills bothered me as much as that one.

One strategy I used one year was not to let my heart get above 135 bpm until lunch. That kept me slow and rested. Something to think about. I think I finished last out of the time riders for the 180K but I did finish.
The first year I rode D2R2 I enjoyed way too much potato salad at lunch. The hill after lunch was a hoot. I'll never forget that.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:29 PM

My first D2R2, riding the 160k route. Currently have 650b Panaracer Comet HardPack 2.0 and think I’ll be sticking with those (unless strongly advised against) ....

50/34 with 11/34 cassette

The frame will accept a third cage, am seriously considering running three cages...

Not intending to race, just looking for a good time and the goal is just finishing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2018, 08:31 PM
ergottWheels

My 3rd cage houses my tool kit and spares.