Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Marciero pal, are you and your hot S.O. riding on a tandem again this year?
Wei pal-I ask out of respect please no comments about my girlfriend. But yes, the plan is to ride tandem.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:42 AM
ZhugeLiang

My sincere apology marciero pal.

Are you using the same tandem pictured here?
Old 08-05-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
My sincere apology marciero pal.

Are you using the same tandem pictured here?
Yes and no. That frame was replaced under warranty, as documented in this thread.

But it is the exact same frame.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:04 AM
Administrator

i enjoy the tire talk to as part of the tradition and hype leading up to deerfield.

it seems that many folks, myself included have gravitated over to smooth tread supple tires like the gravel kings and compass offerings. what will be interesting, as someone up-thread mentioned is if we get a really wet day one of these years and the dirt stuff is muddy. that will certainly favor a little more aggressive tread tire.

i would like personally to try a pair of the knobby compass Steilacooms at some point.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:07 AM

This sounds like a great ride. For those going, photos and/or videos please!
Old 08-05-2018, 08:21 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i enjoy the tire talk to as part of the tradition and hype leading up to deerfield.

it seems that many folks, myself included have gravitated over to smooth tread supple tires like the gravel kings and compass offerings. what will be interesting, as someone up-thread mentioned is if we get a really wet day one of these years and the dirt stuff is muddy. that will certainly favor a little more aggressive tread tire.

i would like personally to try a pair of the knobby compass Steilacooms at some point.

I think we been jinxed, will we have a rainy D2R2?

weather has been weird around these parts that is for sure. I am happy with anything as long as its not super humid like it has been these past few days.

It will definitely be interesting if it rains and is muddy. I will be on a 50mm tire so it does not matter to me
Old 08-05-2018, 10:51 AM

I've been fortunate to have ridden the first edition of D2R2, when there were only 27 participants in each of the 100k and 180k routes! I've ridden the various other distances in subsequent years. After a couple years' hiatus due to heart issues, I'm back, riding the 100k route...

...except this will be the first year I'll be accompanied by a Medtronic Advisa dual lead pacemaker. It took over a year to get this thing programmed to where I could ride for more than 20 minutes, but now I'm ready to rock, except for the training...

Will I be called out as a cheater?! Is this as bad as riding an e-bike? Will we even SEE e-bikes on D2R2 this year? You certainly won't see pacemakers, unless I flash you, of course!

Anyway, here's the setup I've used since 2005. I initially tried 26x1.0" Panaracer Paselas but I had to run them too hard to prevent flats. The current tires are cheapo Bontrager 1.5" tires at 35F/40psi rear. They're a touch on the hard side for the real rocky stuff like Hawks Road taken at speed, but it beats flatting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rock Lobster.jpg (105.6 KB, 195 views)
Old 08-06-2018, 09:23 AM

Question for all you 180k veterans out there:

What was your training like in the weeks/months leading up to completing the 180k? Type of riding, miles, typical elevation, et cetera?

And, how prepared did you feel during the big ride based on that training?

Any other words of wisdom or advice for a 180k noob is also of interest...
Old 08-06-2018, 10:30 AM
Administrator

From this morning's email. Sounds like the roads may be in a little trouble this year!

Quote:
COURSE CONDITIONS:

We are actively watching the course conditions. This summer has produced an extraordinary number of intense thunderstorms with flash flooding. Normally rain in the days and weeks before the ride yields smooth, hardpack roads. However, this year, the damage is so extensive that several towns have told us that road repairs will not be completed this month! So the longer routes will have an added element of adventure to them. The cue sheet may read "ignore road closure, but caution for jersey barriers ahead," or, "if you don't want to wade through a stream washout up to your knees, take optional workaround here." In one instance we have no choice but to modify the course this year. We will give you our usual specific recommendations later next week - tire sizes, gears, etc, but in the meantime please just be prepared for slight changes to deal with Mother Nature this year.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:37 AM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs7282 View Post
Question for all you 180k veterans out there:

What was your training like in the weeks/months leading up to completing the 180k? Type of riding, miles, typical elevation, et cetera?

And, how prepared did you feel during the big ride based on that training?

Any other words of wisdom or advice for a 180k noob is also of interest...
For training, ive never done more than the normal weekend riding (50-75mi rides) in preparation...but ive never really been one to "train" for any event/riding I do, so probably not the best case study here. Ive done the 180 3 times and rolled into camp tired but not destroyed...im also a "lifelong athlete" and on the younger end of the age spectrum relative to most participants so that probably helps a bit.

Advice...

Ride 32c or larger tires - over a day that long, they will make a big difference

Leave early - plan for a full day on the bike, sun up to sun down, bring lights just in case and stuff to fix at least 2 flats (if youre riding with friends you can split up tubes/co2/etc)

Large water bottles - if its hot, you are gonna need every drop you can carry. there is a good amount of support out there but its always better to have more than you need rather than less.

Stay on top of your nutrition and hydration - unless you enjoy that bonked out jello leg feeling

Pace yourself - its not a race

Bring more gears than you think youll need - they might come in handy on that last big climb of the day...

Download and use the GPX route...and bring an external lithium battery thingy to keep your garmin alive - getting lost sucks, and on a route that long, getting lost can mean an after dark arrival back at camp...

Last edited by eBAUMANN; 08-06-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:12 AM
ergottWheels

Great advice.

Also, I train for long sustained efforts typically to have them end up in zone 3. It's a lot of climbing and being about to put out some decent efforts all day long really helps on this course.

Never burn any big matches, like not anywhere on the ride. The only place I would empty the tanks would be Patten since after that you're basically done. You can really pay for an early effort that's too hard for the rest of the ride.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:07 PM

Adding to equipment considerations....twice I've encountered folks who suffered a broken spoke when using low spoke count wheels. It may never happen to you, but the risk exists. I've always used 32 spoke wheels. Again, it is nice to have confidence in your equipment when bombing down a rutted-out dirt path/road.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:10 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Adding to equipment considerations....twice I've encountered folks who suffered a broken spoke when using low spoke count wheels. It may never happen to you, but the risk exists. I've always used 32 spoke wheels. Again, it is nice to have confidence in your equipment when bombing down a rutted-out dirt path/road.
the 32 x 3 rule! 32c tires, 32t cassette, 32 spoke wheels
Old 08-06-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
I'm at the point where it may be smarter to employ the 36 X 3 rule!
Old 08-06-2018, 03:01 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
I am going 47x32x24... less spokes but ads a little bit in tire size to compensate.