Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2024, 02:31 PM

Possible Facilitator: Sarasota- Long Boat Key

I leave a Fondriest (fully boxed, as if prepped for shipping) in my in-laws garage at Long Boat Key. So I have something to ride when visiting.
Helene: They evacuated the island and are staying in a hotel until the order is given that it is safe to return. Their condo association has reported that garages were flooded, but the extent of flooding is unknown.
When they return in the next days, I’ll ask them the depth of water in the garage and whether the bike box is wet. They are 91 and 89 respectively, so they would not be able to access if the bike has water damage- BB, hubs, etc.
If needed, is there a Forum member who could assess possible damage to the bike? We are not visiting for a few months, so I am not in a position to remedy quickly any damage caused by salt water. Their condo is on the bay side close to the Chart House.
PM me if you can be on standby for an assist.
Thanks Chris
Guessing there is no insurance coverage.
Old 09-28-2024, 04:42 AM
Picshooter

The last I heard (Friday night) was that there is currently no access to LBK from Sarasota. You can get the latest updates from the Sarasota Police Dept (SPD) on FB https://www.facebook.com/SarasotaPoliceDepartment.

There is also another FB site called "Sarasota Traffic" where a local might have more info.

Last edited by rePhil; 09-28-2024 at 05:54 AM.
Old 09-28-2024, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rePhil View Post
The last I heard (Friday night) was that there is currently no access to LBK from Sarasota. You can get the latest updates from the Sarasota Police Dept (SPD) on FB https://www.facebook.com/SarasotaPoliceDepartment.
This^

Plus everyone is a little on edge right now on those barrier islands. Good luck
Old 09-28-2024, 12:25 PM

PM sent
Old 09-28-2024, 12:29 PM

Bike aside, good luck to your parents. Hope they are well.

It was a brutal hit in many areas.
Old 09-28-2024, 01:00 PM
Picshooter

The last thing I heard was that law enforcement was requiring ID showing proof of residency or business ownership.To get to St Armands.
Old 09-28-2024, 06:41 PM

Thanks for the info and concern. In-laws and their cat are ok - in Bradenton hotel with restaurant and bar, so they are not missing Happy Hour. We’ve been following news reports and videos, a lot of devastation. I grew up in Key West and Jacksonville Beach plus grad school at FSU. The hurricanes then were less ferocious. I’ll respond to PMs. It seems that they can return to LBK in a day or two. Gulf of Mexico Drive is now the beach.
Old 09-28-2024, 06:52 PM

it varies all over but...most barrier islands are resident only entry, limited power, and potable water isn't going to be available for a week or two. something to keep in mind.