Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2020, 01:59 PM

Honda CRV Turbo Question

My wife wants to purchase a 2018 Honda CRV EX-L from a local Honda dealer. The car looks new and has all the options that she desires. On doing some research, I find that this model, with the turbo engine has had some oil dilution issues. There is a service bulletin that addresses the issue, but the dealer refuses to complete the corrective actions that might address the issues until the issue actually occurs. By then, we could have a damaged engine. Starting in 2019, these corrections were made at the factory, or at least that is what I'm lead to believe. She has driven her current car for 14 years and has a little over 200,000 miles on it. I find the dealer's position to be a deal breaker. Are there Paceliners with experience on these engines?
Old 08-14-2020, 02:19 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Was there a recall on the 2018, and has dealer addressed it. It will be a matter of service record.

If not, assume the damage has already occurred and skip the russian roulette on a risk in the purchase.

When we got our 2017, we skipped all the bells and whistles to get the 2.4 non turbo in the LX. I disliked the turbo and CVT combination personally, and the wife also didn't like the way it responded in a number of situations even on a test drive.

Oh, and we wanted a key...
Old 08-14-2020, 02:23 PM
quadropheniac

My wife has a 2018 with about 20K on it now...no issues and she loves it. When I read about the potential recall in Consumer’s Guide, I demanded that the dealer address it before something happened and they did. If it’s a HONDA Certified used vehicle, hold your ground before buying. Do a Google search and send the information to the dealer...my understanding is that the issue was mostly occurring in colder climates.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:26 PM

Personally, I would walk away. It’s a known issue. If they refuse to get out in front of the issue, walk away and don’t look back. I don’t like if/then situations when purchasing cars, or anything for that matter. The only sure thing in this situation is that the dealer is going to get their money. You and your wife, well, who knows.

$0.02
Old 08-14-2020, 02:38 PM

Get a non-turbo one.

So many of these turbo equipped vehicles are just playing games with the EPA tests.. if you don't drive exactly like the test the mileage is terrible and you're still not driving fast and/or dealing with the lag.

Honda normally aspirated engines are fantastic and the cars with them typically are very easy to get good mileage & performance out of at the same time. Easy decision.

Never drove this CRV but drove the RDX with the turbo a fair bit.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:49 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Get a non-turbo one....

Honda normally aspirated engines are fantastic and the cars with them typically are very easy to get good mileage & performance out of at the same time.
FWIW, the AWD LX CRV is sitting at 30.9 avg for last 1500 miles since a new air filter went in. Is has 25k on it.

The Fit commuter car also an LX sits at 41ish MPG mostly, a touch less with four siped winter tires that time of year.

Turbo lag+CVT trans.. well, better take a long test drive or rent one to make sure you do not mind the combination.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:05 PM

May I suggest looking for a Mazda CX-5. More fun to drive and you won’t see 20 of them every time you go out for a drive.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:08 PM
Older Than You

I have a 2019 Honda CRV EX-L. Great gas mileage. I have no problem with the CVT or turbo engine. There is a learning curve with the infotainment system. Everything works but could be organized better.

I had considered the 2017 version of the CRV but the oil dilution problem made quite a few headlines. I had understood that by mid 2018 everything had been taken care of. Look at the Carfax for any potential problems.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijichf View Post
My wife has a 2018 with about 20K on it now...no issues and she loves it. When I read about the potential recall in Consumer’s Guide, I demanded that the dealer address it before something happened and they did. If it’s a HONDA Certified used vehicle, hold your ground before buying. Do a Google search and send the information to the dealer...my understanding is that the issue was mostly occurring in colder climates.
It is a Certified car and only has 18,000 miles. I told them I was ready to purchase, and sent them the service bulletin and asked that the car be updated. I talked with the salesman and the sales manager. I was told approximately three lies. I would have felt less insulted had they stopped at one. One was, they would have to take the engine apart to check it!!! It's a software update, mostly. Yes, we are walking away. I'm a Toyota guy and have a Camry and 1997 4Runner with 267000 miles with one significant issue, drive shaft. However, she likes the CRV and I suspect that's what she will eventually buy. Like several of you, I don't like the lag or the CVT.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:19 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpoole8537 View Post
Like several of you, I don't like the lag or the CVT.
To be clear, I did not mean to indicate I did not like the CVT. I disliked the turbo lag+ CVT though.

But I confess I did dislike it a lot when we got our first one, the previous CRV. But it was my wifes ride, I was driving a 6 speed Auto Chevy prior. So going to the CVT from driving the 6 speed was a learning experience.

Once the Chevy was gone, the Fit came in and I started to drive the CRV as my main ride. After it being my only car [that was not clutch] and main daily [retired] I learned to use it well. You need to drive it a little differently I learned. And actually quite like it now.

The variable ratio aspect of the thing overdrives and gives an excellent torque boost for lane jumps, passing, and hwy ramp get out fast&rolling. It does flatten out and is not a linear power curve at all. But the torque boost always it good for the jumps when needed.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:15 PM
n - 1

I’ve always been a Honda guy. But that was mostly in the 90’s. Other than the Fit, I haven’t really gotten excited about Honda lately.

I’d check out the RAV4, if you’re a Toyota guy. I love the 8-speed in our Sienna. The 2.5L 4-cyl is a solid engine.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:25 PM

My 2019 Civic Si has averaged 32 mpg from new. It has a similar 1.5L turbo engine to the CRV but it has been tweaked up to 205 HP. I don't remember what the EPA ratings were. Our 2014 Mazda 3 with the 2.5L non-turbo and automatic has averaged 30 MPG for 68,000 miles. We are very happy with both cars.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm View Post
May I suggest looking for a Mazda CX-5. More fun to drive and you won’t see 20 of them every time you go out for a drive.
I bought a CX-5 GTR last year and love it, really fun to drive which is unique for a crossover. In Maryland I see tons of CX-5s, there are 3 on my street alone.

Tim
Old 08-14-2020, 06:49 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Make sure you like the CX-5 seats. My sister lost her shirt when the seat was killing her to the point of trading in a 3 month old car. My wife wanted the Mazda fire mist red color so bad we test drove CX5 and 7, we both found the seat very non erg and hard on the butt.

Honda has VG seats, even our two old Del Sols with original seats with 300k+ on the cars that looked terrible somehow were still comfortable.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Personally, I would walk away. It’s a known issue. If they refuse to get out in front of the issue, walk away and don’t look back. I don’t like if/then situations when purchasing cars, or anything for that matter. The only sure thing in this situation is that the dealer is going to get their money. You and your wife, well, who knows.

$0.02
In contrast to the usual honda bullet proof nature - I too have heard lots of problems with oil dilution on the turbo power plants. Some alarming reports out there and Honda doesn't seem to be moving too fast on a fix. I'd opt for a NA version or look for a comparable Rav4.