Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM

Reliably increasing q-factor on road bike

After a bikefit 10 months ago i ended up installing a set of 65mm speedplay zero pedals with great success from a bikefit perspective. However i keep on destroying these pedals, 4000km = 4 sets of pedals, currently my fith pair is on its way. Every time play in the pedal/axle interface occurs. My bikefitter suggests to stick with speedplay and just keep on replacing these when they break however he cannot say what will happen once i am out of warranty, will Wahoo still replace these pedals? I am getting sick of this and am searching for an alternative. Now would be ideal to swap because i will receive a new sealed set of pedals which will be easier to sell than a set of used pedals.

Important info to have - 2m / 6f7 tall, 130kg/285lbs heavy - pedals are under some stress - US16 feet - disc road bike, crank is a quarq dfour 91 with 175mm dub crankarms.

Installing pedal extenders is not an option, these are not recommended with carbon cranks and I'd rather not risk it.

Possible alternatives i have thought of
  • SQLab 512 XL pedals - 68mm q-factor which should be even better however my bikefitter has negative experiences with these. Unsure what they are, have asked him.
  • Favero Assioma Shi - due to the pod these axles push out the pedals to around 65mm. Expensive option certainly considering i already have a quarq powermeter installed + i currently am above the weight limit.
  • Replace crankarms on my quarq with the q168mm eagle powermeter cranks - should fit my powermeter, pushes out the chainline a few MM since they are essentially dub wide cranks. Together with +4mm shimano pedals I would end up at the same overall q-factor and i do have a small SPD-SL preference
  • OG Speedplay Zero pedals with 65mm axles - might be an option, have kept an eye open for these on ebay / my local marketplace without any luck. If anyone has any suggestions ... (I am based in europe)

Open for any input, about either of my options or options i have not thought of.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:48 PM

Keywin make a steel 65mm axle for their Carbon CRM pedals.

They’re a great pedal and like a SP but better.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the great idea! Unfortunately, the website doesn’t currently list the 65mm version of the Keywin pedals. However, back in late 2023 (when my third pair of Speedplay pedals bit the dust), I asked about it, and they mentioned they might still have some axles lying around. I’ve dug up that old email thread, and it seems like this could be the best option so far
Old 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Meh

I think the dub wide/SPD-SL option that you have listed is your best option.

I am not surprised you are nuking the zeros at your size and weight - the whole system has never screamed "durable" to me. From my experience, the originals will not be an improvement in that regard, either.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainomo View Post
Thanks for the great idea! Unfortunately, the website doesn’t currently list the 65mm version of the Keywin pedals. However, back in late 2023 (when my third pair of Speedplay pedals bit the dust), I asked about it, and they mentioned they might still have some axles lying around. I’ve dug up that old email thread, and it seems like this could be the best option so far
Qarv Imports are the NA distributors and they do show stock of the 65mm pedals.

Give them a shout and see what they can do.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:30 PM

@EB

Got it! I thought OG Speedplay pedals were flawless, but if they’re not the best fit for my situation, I’ll drop that idea

@BdaGhisallo

Indeed, I can even order axles. Will wait for feedback from Keywin, the company and if negative contact the reseller.

Some extra information
I've ridden 25,000 km on Look Keo pedals without any pedal-related issues. In early 2022, I decided to try SPD-SL pedals and purchased the +4mm Ultegra pedals. They felt superior right away, providing more stability with their larger platform. However, after 6,000 km, I still experienced occasional knee problems. A well-regarded local bike fitter recommended switching to the 65mm Speedplays during a fitting session. The fit improved significantly, but I continued to prefer the SPD-SL pedals for their more stable feel compared to Look and their ease of walking.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:39 PM

You’ll feel very stable on the Keywins because the cleats have a large surface area - bigger than anything else I’ve seen
Old 03-26-2024, 03:26 AM

Received some updates from John at Keywin. They should be able to sell me a new set of carbon Keywin pedals with the 65mm axle. Currently waiting for the invoice.

Additionally, my bike fitter gave the green light for the Keywin pedals. His only concern is the availability of cleats, but there are European shops that carry them. I’ll make sure to keep a spare set on hand.

Thank you for the advice!
Old 03-26-2024, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainomo View Post
Received some updates from John at Keywin. They should be able to sell me a new set of carbon Keywin pedals with the 65mm axle. Currently waiting for the invoice.

Additionally, my bike fitter gave the green light for the Keywin pedals. His only concern is the availability of cleats, but there are European shops that carry them. I’ll make sure to keep a spare set on hand.

Thank you for the advice!
When John ships you the pedals, be sure to ask for the newer Carbon cleats. They recently updated them and the newer ones have blue walking pontoons at the front of the cleat. I find that they take a little bit more force to clip out - not that the old ones come out easy, that is. It could be in my mind I'll admit. They also have an easy release version of the Carbon cleat now. I haven't tried it but I can't imagine you'd want it if you don't have any ankle issues.

The update is supposedly to make those front pontoons last longer as the old ones did get worn down somewhat quickly.

Get yourself an extra pair of cleats or two while you're at it. I can sometimes get over two years from a set - you can wear them down a lot and they still function perfectly - but if you're doing this transaction from NZ you might as well get yourself well sorted at the outset.
Old 03-26-2024, 04:40 AM

I’ve been on the +4mm Shimano for a while and they are typical Shimano reliability.
Old 03-26-2024, 06:06 AM

285 pounds is the problem. Many bikes and wheels aren't made to survive that load.
Old 03-26-2024, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
285 pounds is the problem. Many bikes and wheels aren't made to survive that load.
I’m curious what Speedplay changed as it looks like right now zeros have no weight limit but at some point they had a 180lb limit.

180 is around my upper limit if I’ve been slacking. I’ve found quite a few products that seem to start having trouble around that weight even if the weight limit is supposedly higher. Flex issues, etc…

180 seems super low really cause you probably want a safety margin. If they really had a 180lb limit you would have to think a major design change had to occur to have no weight limit.

Also what if OP somehow was sold older ones?
Old 03-26-2024, 06:26 AM

Another Shimano fan

I recently switched to long axle Shimano pedals (PD-R800) and it was fairly easy and didn't break the budget. Previously my fitter had me using pedal washers which the Campy warranty expressly forbids as I converted to Chorus 12. Given the Chorus group wasn't cheap I didn't want to void the warranty so I gave up my Time pedals.

I am 6'0" and still needed the increased Q factor. As BBs changed Q factors reduced a lot. I used to be fine with old style Campy 9 and 10 speed cranks but the reduced Q factor is not the best thing for a lot of people.

Alan
Old 03-26-2024, 06:32 AM

Yes the narrower q-factor was never great for me as well but no one knew any better and/or tried to correct my alignment with insoles or other adjustments.

It was always noticeable everything was more natural on MTBs. My knees track much straighter with the +4 axles and it’s not subtle. I’m even fine with the comical stance on fat bikes.

Easier to ride no hands and such as well and I’m more stable on the saddle.

All this stuff does seem to have downstream effects on fit though. I’m going for a fit in April.

I have measured my carbon press fit Trek and it is no narrower than my steel All City with outboard threaded Shimano BB.

Last edited by benb; 03-26-2024 at 06:35 AM.
Old 03-26-2024, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I’m curious what Speedplay changed as it looks like right now zeros have no weight limit but at some point they had a 180lb limit.

180 is around my upper limit if I’ve been slacking. I’ve found quite a few products that seem to start having trouble around that weight even if the weight limit is supposedly higher. Flex issues, etc…

180 seems super low really cause you probably want a safety margin. If they really had a 180lb limit you would have to think a major design change had to occur to have no weight limit.

Also what if OP somehow was sold older ones?
That has to be for titanium rather than stainless/cromoly axles (at least standard length, not sure about extra wide). I would say Speedplays have always been over-engineered and princessy. Nice pedals, but not a hallmark of durability.