Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-14-2018, 11:40 PM

2018 Trek Boone Disc owners

I recently picked up a 2018 Trek Boone 5 Disc complete bike after a couple years of checking them out. After picking it up and bringing it home, I gave it a thorough inspection and noticed a couple oddities.

- the port opening where the cable route under the BB doesn't have a cover, so there are literally 5 exposed openings in the carbon frame that I imagine will pack up with mud and dirt during a race.

- the seat tube bottle cage bolts are offset towards the drive side of the tube which leaves the bottle cage sticking out to one side. It's visually noticeable without a cage mounted, and even more so with one mounted. I measured it and there's about a 10mm difference on either side from the edge of the bottle cage to the inside edge of the crank arm.

I checked with a teammate who owns a 2018 Boone 7 in a different size and he has the same results. I'm curious if our frames are simply missing an underside port hole cover? As for the offset, I'm guessing the bolt stud locations are a part of the mold, and if so, how this would make it through QC.

Curious if there are any other 2018 Boone Disc owners here who can confirm if their frames have these same oddities.