Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2024, 07:01 AM

NJ: proposed E-bike bill would require registration, ins.

Much push back:

https://www.nj.com/opinion/2024/02/e...-mulshine.html
Old 02-20-2024, 07:27 AM

Unfortunately, the article is behind a paywall.

But this would mean that e-bikes would require registration and insurance, just like other motor bikes?
Old 02-20-2024, 07:51 AM

Non-paywall source:
https://www.planetizen.com/news/2024...hilling-effect

Sounds like a poorly conceived piece of legislation. What's really need is further definition of the classes of e-bikes (and related devices) and then enforcement.

Most states already have laws on the books for 50cc scooters and mopeds - we should leverage those instead of creating whole new legislation.

In Virginia, you can operate a moped/50cc without a drivers license (if you're otherwise entitled to drive - 16+ years, no DUI, etc). But, the scooter has to be registered. I don't believe insurance is required. We should just categorize any e-bike that can do >20mph or work on a throttle as a moped/50cc and call it a day.
Old 02-20-2024, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
What's really need is further definition of the classes of e-bikes (and related devices) and then enforcement.
This. I'm all for alternative forms of transport that get more people out of cars and also the pressure that puts on cities to support non-car based transportation infrastructure but the poor definitions makes things messy. Plenty of options on the market that wiggle around the rules and look like a "bike" but are really e-mopeds or e-motos with pedals, high capacity batteries and high output motors. If you want to use that to get around, I'm fine with that, but IMO a vehicle like that should be tagged and insured and ridden on the street, not on the MUT, or as said above, fall under whatever the moped laws are in that state.

A semi related tangent - it is unclear to me why mopeds and scooters are permitted for on road use (with appropriate tag and ins. as required), but more and more states are flat out banning imported Kei cars now. In GA, there's an active campaign against them. Future imports are no longer going to be allowed. If you already have one that is legally titled and reg in GA, they are revoking it at the next reg renewal and restricting it to off road use only. They are spending tax dollars to review reg. records to do this. The argument is they are not safe to use on US roads. A Kei truck is less safe than a moped which is totally legal?

Last edited by batman1425; 02-20-2024 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-20-2024, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Non-paywall source:
https://www.planetizen.com/news/2024...hilling-effect

Sounds like a poorly conceived piece of legislation. What's really need is further definition of the classes of e-bikes (and related devices) and then enforcement.

Most states already have laws on the books for 50cc scooters and mopeds - we should leverage those instead of creating whole new legislation.

In Virginia, you can operate a moped/50cc without a drivers license (if you're otherwise entitled to drive - 16+ years, no DUI, etc). But, the scooter has to be registered. I don't believe insurance is required. We should just categorize any e-bike that can do >20mph or work on a throttle as a moped/50cc and call it a day.
I agree.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
A semi related tangent - it is unclear to me why mopeds and scooters are permitted for on road use (with appropriate tag and ins. as required), but more and more states are flat out banning imported Kei cars now.
Taken in isolation, it makes sense to ban Kei cars (I'm assuming they fail to meet safety and/or emissions standards) in favor of safer/more compliant normal cars.

But yeah, we should have policies in place to encourage smaller vehicles in general. Kei cars might not be part of the answer, but small electric "golf carts" probably should be considered. I could definitely get by with 1 normal car and 1 EV cart-thing. But that isn't an option here - it's a full-sized car or walk/cycle.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:28 AM

Paywall.

But pretty simple - anything, say over 500w or perhaps 750w

Insurance on all e-bikes will kill this market.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybikes View Post
Paywall.

But pretty simple - anything, say over 500w or perhaps 750w

Insurance on all e-bikes will kill this market.
Lack of enforcement will make the whole thing moot.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:46 AM
Meh

Isn't this the same state that won't let you pump your own gas?
Old 02-20-2024, 09:52 AM

Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
Isn't this the same state that won't let you pump your own gas?
Old 02-20-2024, 09:52 AM
Steel..what else??

Nm

Last edited by Big Dan; 02-20-2024 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:54 AM
Meh

Well, the good news here is that registration and insurance requirements for drivers have completely solved traffic deaths.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Lack of enforcement will make the whole thing moot.
Not if it prevents companies from shipping DTC to the state. For better or worse, that's how a lot of people get their e bikes. Or imagine the big chains require you to show proof of insurance before leaving the lot like car dealers do. Whether or not it's enforced may not matter. The threat alone could kill the market.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:55 AM

Whatever they do they have to do it in a way that keeps things simple for enforcement.

The situation today is too complex and I'm sure the police just can't be bothered as riding an illegal eBike is a small offense and they have bigger things to worry about, especially if people fight the tickets and win.

They're going to need a clear as day system like motorcycles where there's a very clear obvious difference and a list of street legal models and off-road only models.

I think just enforcing sales rules would go a long way, clearly there is no intention to do that right now. Penalize RAD or whoever it is that is selling up-motored bikes, don't let them sell so easily. People will still self modify but it will be a much smaller group. Way easier to go after the company than all the owners.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:11 AM

Quote:
The problem here is that under the previous laws in many (if not most) states, the 3 generally recognized e-bike categories would be considered to be mopeds.

Personally, I blame the organization People for Mopeds, er, I mean People for Bikes. This is the group that originated the 3 e-bike category system in the US. These categories are out of line with the rest of the world, and use higher speed and power limits than common elsewhere. For example, in most of Europe, e-bikes are not allowed to provide motor power above 25 kph (15.5mph), and the motor cannot apply more than 250W of continuous power - anything faster or more powerful is considered a moped. Instead, People for Mopeds, er, I mean People for Bikes decided that even the lowest category e-bike should be able to use motor power up to 20 mph and allow continuous motor power of 750W, with category 3 e-bikes being able to provide motor power up to 28 mph.

My suspicion is that the categories were intended to create a loophole that didn't really exist, by creating a vehicle that looks like a bicycle but acts like a moped. Many states haven't fully bought into the vision, and still classify class 3 e-bikes as moped (quite rightly, in my opinion). But due to the confusion created by category system (probably intentionally), there is likely to be poor enforcement for class 3 e-bikes.

As an example, Massachusetts recently updated its laws to recognize e-bikes. But the new laws explicitly only recognizes class 1 and class 2 under the defnition "electric bike" - class 3 e-bikes fall under the definition of "motorized bicycle". Under Massachusetts law, motorized bicycles must be registered, and must display a rearward facing registration plate. Operators must be at least 16 years old, must have a driving license of permit, and must wear a DOT certified helmet. Motorized bicycles may be used on on-road bike langes, but cannot be used on off-road recreational trails, nor on limited access expressway. But I suspect there will be little enforcement of these laws (and I believe that was the intent of the category 3 definition).