Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2021, 01:26 AM

Colnago CT1 vs Master

Anyone with experience of both - what are some of the similarities/differences in how they ride? Will they feel massively different or really marginal so different tyres/wheels etc have more of an effect than differences between these 2 frames?
Old 12-03-2021, 07:07 AM

Never owned a Master, but did move from a Tecnos (pretty close, with Look carbon fork) to a CT-1.

They were surprisingly similar (both rode like Colnagos as you would expect), but the CT-1 weighed less (had the B-Stay carbon rear) and definitely felt lighter and more plush/dampened. I liked the CT-1 a lot, and would still be riding it if I didn't have to sell it when we were tapped out...

So I would say 'marginally different'--and I suspect they are likely to both cap out around the same tire size, unless they have made provision for wider tires in the late iterations of the Master.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:08 AM

I haven't had a CT1, but have had an OvalMaster (or was it a MonoTitan? ) with a Star carbon fork. The biggest difference between it and the CT1 was the lack of carbon rear stays. Compared to a couple of Masters that I've had, it was a bit smoother, but didn't feel quite as snappy. However, there are so many variables that could have impacted that - materials (of course), steel vs. carbon forks, wheels/tires. Nevertheless, they share the same geometry and all of them were great riding bikes.

Texbike
Old 12-03-2021, 09:18 AM

Friend has a Ct1 I've ridden. I owned a Master with the man on top in yellow(art deco) with the chrome fork and Campy 8. The CT1 was a Record bike. Both had handbuilts from the same source. Only thing that struck me was his CR1 was smoother riding. That was 25 years ago.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:10 AM

Had a CT-1 for about 15 years or so. Overall, probably the smoothest ride and favorite bike I've had. Got rid of it because I felt 15 years was a long time for a carbon-Ti combo frame. If it were all Ti and not the Bstay rear triangle, I'd probably still have it.