Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2021, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
When a valued member of the community makes a comment about life, in keeping with many of the OT topics we've lived through together over the past couple of years, it really isn't appropriate for a snot-nosed newcomer to make snide remarks.

And in my reading of the original post, it's *you* reading classism into it.

Just sayin.
Why are you disparaging someone for joining a public forum after you?
Old 12-02-2021, 05:12 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
All my bikes are two stroke. Left leg, right leg, left leg, right leg...
I had no idea:

Bicycle Motor Kit 80cc 2-Stroke Bike Gasoline Motorized Gas Engine

Instant moped.....
Old 12-02-2021, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertoracle View Post
also my apologies for not racking up thousands of posts on a bike forum. was too busy wiping my nose.
No apologies necessary...but...7 posts in over a year since joining? Must have been a few rain days in there.

Oh, and welcome to the Paceline. Some of us are a bit crusty, but we're good people, willing to help any and all...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 12-02-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth View Post
Why are you disparaging someone for joining a public forum after you?
Well...since you asked...

I did not call out someone for joining PL after me. That would be silly.

I pointed out an issue of manners.

it *is* customary when one enters a room to get a sense of the atmosphere, the common practices, etc., before engaging.

At least that's how it used to be in the real world. And how it is *expected* in online communities.

And I think we've already moved on to more important topics, like what weight oil to add to two stroke engines, and in what blend.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 12-02-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Is it because that is the only Transportation available for those that live in an area with no mass transit? Because you need no license? Is this what biker gangs have become?
most of America is a cruel and dangerous place to exist without your own private vehicle. if you live in somewhere with little to no public transit these kind of motor kits and cheap e-bikes are a no-brainer for people who need a inexpensive way to get around. people who get their licenses revoked or never had one still have to move around places as well.
as for the biker aesthetic, I haven't really seen that around where I live, mostly just normal looking people or college students.
Old 12-02-2021, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
There's a house down the block with 6 or so tenants, half of whom ride them. They also sport the appearance you mention. Considering the house is worth $1M+ and the folks I've spoken to are exceedingly nice I assume it's just an image/trend/fashion I wasn't aware of.

C'est la vie.
Ditto.

There's a house here on my block in San Francisco, exactly as you described.

We often hear those little motorbikes loudly buzzing up/down our block.
Old 12-02-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Is it because that is the only Transportation available for those that live in an area with no mass transit? Because you need no license? Is this what biker gangs have become?
I sure hope these guys ,and gals(I’m culturally aware don’t hate on me unless you joined prior to me), don’t become biker gangs. I find the noise pollution to be quite disturbing, the flagrant lack of following laws like signaling, lights at night, etc also seem to be common for the demographic that relies on this form of transportation. Bicycles truly are a refined form of travel…

My best guess as to why you’re noticing it more now, is you’re seeing the other side of the tracks now that you’ve moved back. Towns don’t always stay wealthy. Me, I’ve been entrenched for my entire life on this side, so motorized transportation like this is just normal folks getting places. The other side of this coin where I live is dually diesels hauling an American flag and nothing else-so go figure!

I do hate the noise they both make equally!
Old 12-02-2021, 06:36 PM

I get what Tickdoc is saying.

I'm seeing people using cheap e-bikes in a similar fashion, flouting traffic laws and generally riding as if laws don't apply to them.

Yeah; it's probably their only source of transportation but their riding habits, whether 2-stroke or e-bike, speaks of their values in general.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:14 PM

ha! thought I was the only one noticing this exact trend. 2-stroke motors on frames with... well... people on board. The area is a known meth/heroin hotspot so it fits your description exactly. I used to take pictures of the syringes on the side of the road when I was changing flats. Now its boring.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:47 AM

They are a lot of things for a variety of people. Poor man's motorcycle. Alt transportation for the alt crowd. Just plain transportation for the unlicensed. Fun DIY project on the cheap for the gearheads. A garage side-business for amateur mechanics.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:10 AM

The funny thing is I haven’t seen anyone bring one on the train yet. All kinds of bikes and e-bikes though.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:14 AM

They're rampant around here. They also seem to be stolen often, almost like an unwritten rule where the original owner can steal it back. I've seen a few nice ones that look like they were purposely built, but most are retro fits on cruiser bikes. They're loud, I see them ridden on sidewalks, weaving through traffic, running stop signs, kind of like a bike, but loud.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:35 AM

I remember seeing a couple of these 2-stroke engine-bicycle monstrosities a few years ago in Victoria, BC, while on sabbatical there, and I've seen a couple around here in central New York. They ought to be illegal--they pollute at extraordinarily high levels (as with all 2-stroke engines), they are absurdly loud, and they are dangerous.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
From my observation of these two-strokes likely someone skirting the edges of licensing, insurance, and vehicle inspection.
Probably because they cant get any of the above.

People need transport if they're gonna work and contribute. I'm gonna guess the small town has no or very poor public transit options.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:57 AM

It's always something.