Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2021, 03:51 PM

Why is it always men griping about "women's" bikes? I sell them for a living and don't struggle to sell them and fit them for female customers. I've sold countless race bikes to women who came in and their male significant other told me they need an endurance bike. Stop doing that. Just because you can't get comfy on a race bike doesn't mean your wife can't.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Why is it always men griping about "women's" bikes? I sell them for a living and don't struggle to sell them and fit them for female customers. I've sold countless race bikes to women who came in and their male significant other told me they need an endurance bike. Stop doing that. Just because you can't get comfy on a race bike doesn't mean your wife can't.
You can’t be serious! This is only following a long tradition of men showing they know more about women’s needs than woman do.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
... This is only following a long tradition of men showing they know more about women’s needs than woman do.
I agree and as female, I've found it interesting reading this thread, so I took a quick look at LIV bikes.

These are some of the features that might appeal to female friends:
-- better color selection
-- more bikes seem to have a slanted top tube (actually been told this by a number of female friends, really)
-- less likely to need to buy new saddle

It's not just the geometry.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:00 PM

My sister has around 4 road bikes last time I checked. She rides one for awhile, then switches to another, then says "I really like the Merlin, I missed it." Then it's "I've been riding the RB-1, it's so nice."

So anyway, needless to say I'm proud of her.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:42 PM

I'll continue to explain the challenges of fitting some women to available production bikes. One thing that is sacrosanct with companies that sell bicycles to the masses is that the center of a front wheel will be far enough away so that rotating feet will not hit it when the wheel is turned. Otherwise there is the strong possibility they will get sued largely if the rider fell and hurt themselves because the wheel was not far enough away. A solution they never consider is using smaller wheels (Terry bikes no longer available where one exception). There are only a few options when designing the frame to get that wheel out there far enough. A steeper seat angle, a longer top tube or raising the bottom bracket shell. Those options are going the wrong way for many women.

Let's pretend a recreational woman cyclist (who is likely to ride at a pace somewhere between 12 and 17 mph) is placed on a fully adjustable fitting bicycle to find a position that is comfortable for them to ride a reasonable distance. In other words when riding long enough (when she is reasonably fit) none of her body parts will hurt. The fit will start with raising the saddle to the proper amount. That height is seldom in dispute. Next the saddle is adjusted backward until that magic distance where weight on their hands disappears. Where they are balanced over the pedals. The handlebars are raised until there is no longer pressure on the sensitive areas of their crotch. And the distance of the seat to the handlebars is moved to a place that the cyclist identifies as ideal for them. Then all 4 factors are readjusted a bit until our rider gives the okay. Again we are not talking about a fitting a young slim female wanting to ride in a competitive situation.

When using those guidelines one can discover the position of the seat and handlebars might not fit on a production frame. Of course every person is different. Some can hold themselves up better. Not everybody has crotch issues. It is possible they can be comfortable in a more aggressive position. So some compromise to fit a production bicycle may be just fine. But the likelihood that a women way past college age in their best-for-them position will find some restrictions on a store bought bicycle pretty high.

Last edited by Doug Fattic; 12-03-2021 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic View Post
I'll continue to explain the challenges of fitting some women to available production bikes. ...
I'm totally in agreement.

I bought custom due to fit as I could not find any production metal bike having my desired level of components and fork clearance that matched my anatomy.

In addition to awesome riding, I do not get the pain, numbness etc that others get because of how the bike fits them. And of course I have 650b wheels.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:06 PM

Another vote for custom

Doug Fattic’s comments really ring true when thinking about my wife’s process. She tried make an off-the-shelf road bike fit but it never felt right. She has some neck and upper back issues and needs a high handlebar height. She loves her custom Igleheart and the fit is great. She definitely has the long legs, short torso body type. It does suffer from toe overlap which she doesn’t like but has adapted to. Probably would have been better with 650b wheels but they were pretty niche when her frame was built.

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06A5313A-FC23-4A5A-8EEA-F66392CCBE3A.jpg (157.3 KB, 26 views)
Old 12-02-2021, 10:46 PM
Member?

I'm a male and I have been looking for a Giant Revolt to purchase in size XS. There are few to be found. So I started looking at the Liv Devote in size S to see if more were available. They are essentially the same bike and the geometry between the two is minimal. But, I prefer the geometry of the Liv. Greater bottom bracket drop and longer wheelbase.

https://99spokes.com/compare?bikes=g...;*z.49cm|w.700

Gender has nothing to do with my buying decisions. Availability rules the day with angles and measurements a close second. I bought a Liv on-line, but it turned out to be a demo (Full Cycles in Boulder), a bit of a disappointment, so I cancelled the order. I found an XS Revolt at a shop in Washington State that I bought instead.

I have no use for any saddle other than a Flite, so the stock saddle on either the Revolt or Devote does not factor into the equation.

At the end of the day, I could not find a Liv in my size, so I got a Revolt. If I had my choice, I would have purchased a Liv in my size if I could have found one that was not a hashed demo. The difference in the frame specs is nominal so I expect I will enjoy the Revolt. Time will tell.