Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2021, 09:11 PM

Long hiatus and new bike itch

tl;dr I have been away from the forum for ~12 yrs. I am getting back into riding. I want another bike.

Hey folks- years ago I used to hang around here a lot. I'm back after a rather long break from the forum (and from cycling). What did I miss?

For the past ~12 years I've been really into my running, having trained for and run several trail ultras and marathons. After our kids were born, running became much easier to do than cycling (e.g., I could train in the dark, etc). But all of those running miles (175-225 miles/month) are taking their toll on my body, and I've jumped back on the bike recently. My old steel Fierte is just as fun to ride now as it was 16 years ago.

And predictably, I've got the new / n+1 bike itch now. I still love the Fierte but I'm thinking about what else to play with. I've got a MTB but I'm not really into mountain biking (not hardcore at least). I like road bikes. I'm "gravel curious" but still not convinced that I would need a gravel bike over just a good road bike with fatter tires. I have had a few cx bikes, mostly used as commuters. While living in Australia at the beginning of the pandemic, I had a cheap Jake the Snake that I rode around Melbourne, and it was fun.

So...what should my next bike be? Another solid road bike? CX? Gravel? For reference, I live in Boulder county, CO. And I like to build my own bikes, and have even built my own wheels.

And I've got some of these stickers around here somewhere...

Bud
Old 11-30-2021, 09:21 PM

Welcome back!

I would look at the Specialized Crux, the new one. You can run it with skinny tires for a road bike like ride, or throw on some big gravel tires. Or put on a pair of 38mm Specialized Pathfinder Pro tires and call it a day; they roll very well on pavement and also work great on gravel.

Last edited by fa63; 11-30-2021 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:27 PM
n - 1

Yes, I agree with above regarding the Crux. It’d be my pick if I were buying today. Although I’d also have a serious look at Allied (love the hidden cable look).

This is assuming you’re wanting CF from a big brand. Not sure what your budget is, either.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:32 PM

Welcome back. I have more questions than answers.

Budget? Frame material preference? Disc or rim brakes?

Given what you said, I'd be looking for a bike with road geometry that could fit wider tires when needed. Have a 2nd set of wheels on hand with wide tires for gravel roads and bike paths. Lots of options out there once your preferences are narrowed down.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:33 PM

The pathfinders are so good - a little heavy but so, so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2021, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post

Given what you said, I'd be looking for a bike with road geometry that could fit wider tires when needed. Have a 2nd set of wheels on hand with wide tires for gravel roads and bike paths. Lots of options out there once your preferences are narrowed down.
For me that would be a new Trek Crockett. More aggressive geo and handling than a gravel bike, but will still fit 40's.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
For me that would be a new Trek Crockett. More aggressive geo and handling than a gravel bike, but will still fit 40's.
I've been thinking about a Crockett. I like the geometry.

My budget is TBD. I'm open to frame material, but would really prefer steel or CF over Al. Ideally I'd be able to buy the frame/girl and build it up myself.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Bud
Old 11-30-2021, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Welcome back. I have more questions than answers.

Budget? Frame material preference? Disc or rim brakes?

Budget is TBD. I'd prefer steel or CF over Al but I'm open-minded. I'd like discs but I could live with rim brakes. I would like to build it up myself.

So yeah, not many definite answers to your appropriate questions.

Bud
Old 11-30-2021, 09:56 PM

These are a cool modern steel off the shelf option

https://standert.de/collections/pfadfinder
Old 11-30-2021, 10:00 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Given what you said, I'd be looking for a bike with road geometry that could fit wider tires when needed. Have a 2nd set of wheels on hand with wide tires for gravel roads and bike paths.

^^^This. Especially for someone who self-identifies as >>I like road bikes. I'm "gravel curious" but still not convinced that I would need a gravel bike over just a good road bike with fatter tires<< I think you absolutely should get a bona-fide Road Bike ...but a road bike that can at least accommodate 28c tires, preferably 30 or 32c tires.

And then like Oliver says, get two sets of otherwise identical wheels: one shod with the widest tire your frame will handle, the other with the narrowest tire that you would typically want for a fast smooth tarmac hammerfest.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:08 PM

I would take a look at the Fezzari Shafer. You can get a lot of bang out of your buck with one if you are limited on budget.

https://www.fezzari.com/shafer
Old 12-01-2021, 12:23 AM

Plus one for the new Crux. You will enjoy Ryan's thread: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...67750&start=75
Old 12-01-2021, 06:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Budget is TBD. I'd prefer steel or CF over Al but I'm open-minded. I'd like discs but I could live with rim brakes. I would like to build it up myself.

So yeah, not many definite answers to your appropriate questions.

Yer local so trundle on down to Vecchio's in Boulder(Willow Springs shopping center, corner of 28th and Broadway) and talk to Jim, the owner..Moots, Waterford, Pegoretti..probably others, dealer. Tell him Peter sent ya, but he'll still probably talk to ya..
Old 12-01-2021, 09:14 AM

I'm a bit surprised that it hasn't been mentioned yet, but the Cervalo Caledonia sounds like it would be the perfect bike
Old 12-01-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yer local so trundle on down to Vecchio's in Boulder(Willow Springs shopping center, corner of 28th and Broadway) and talk to Jim, the owner..Moots, Waterford, Pegoretti..probably others, dealer. Tell him Peter sent ya, but he'll still probably talk to ya..
Yes, I need to hang out in some local shops. I haven't been to Vecchio's for years, and certainly not in that new location.

Bud