Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2021, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Yoko's blood curdling singing voice has the same effect on both me and my wife as ever... A lot of mute and jumps past.

She missed her calling to do voice over work for horror tracks...

https://youtu.be/LPh5yYp9-PU?t=31
I’ve never been able to understand her unearned confidence. Do a YT search for her “singing” the National Anthem, just amazing. Lennon was her 3rd husband, the first two were also musical but guess they weren’t big enough stars. Just speculating, and I may be totally off base.

Tim

Last edited by mcteague; 12-02-2021 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
"Something" by the Beatles, right? That is what you're talking about? There isn't a piano in that song. Organ, yes, but no piano. That song is slow, mournful, full of longing, and all guitars. McCartney? He's playing it on a ukulele like Jingle Bells, fer cryin' out loud. I'm sure George was rolling in his grave when he heard that. Couldn't listen to more than 30 seconds of that video, so I have no idea what the band did after that. Worst opening I could imagine for that song.

Quote: "I've been playing Something the last couple days. McCartney's chord progressions/harmonies are always brilliant. He has this insane thing where you can play an an incredibly simple version of the rhythm and yet the changes are so iconic it's completely obvious what song it is. Let it Be is the same thing."

McCartney's chord progressions? You mean Harrison's, the guy who actually wrote that song? (Still not getting much songwriting credit, apparently...)
Yah I think you're right about all of that. Getting confused in the amount of Beatles stuff I've been watching/listening to right now.

Ukelele is an acquired taste, I'm not sure McCartney was right to pull one out for that performance. But overall I don't get the way people turn their nose up at the Ukelele.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:42 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
But overall I don't get the way people turn their nose up at the Ukelele.
Unless you are Grace Vanderwaal I guess...
Old 12-02-2021, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
"Something" by the Beatles, right?...
McCartney's chord progressions? You mean Harrison's, the guy who actually wrote that song? (Still not getting much songwriting credit, apparently...)
Might have already been said here already:
"Something is my favourite Lennon-McCartney song" — F.Sinatra
Old 12-02-2021, 06:26 PM

If you watch the "Concert for George", Paul talks about going 'round to George's house after dinner and the ukes come out and they kind of jam. I'm not sure if this was when George was dying of cancer. But I don't think it was a real musical analysis of chord progression or anything else.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:12 PM

I waffle back and forth between thinking... what a bummer they didn't figure out how to stay together and grow the band as the individuals grew... and just being happy they stayed together as long as they did. None of my friends from 14 lasted to college, that's for sure.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:14 PM

I watched the 1st 2

still need to do the 3rd. So far my favorite was watching them create 'get back' as a song and then the Preston sessions.

My favorite little line I heard was someone off camera or not obvious to me saying "another HarriSONG" regarding a song George had or was working on.

Anyone else catch it? I need to watch it again to figure out who it was.

I'm not a crazy fan, but like many of their songs and recognize their undeniable impact on music. Really enjoyed it--somewhat amazed it took decades for the footage to get edited etc.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:01 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I found it funny how few of the songs during recording sessions sounded excellent, but on the roof live they did big time.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
still need to do the 3rd. So far my favorite was watching them create 'get back' as a song and then the Preston sessions.

My favorite little line I heard was someone off camera or not obvious to me saying "another HarriSONG" regarding a song George had or was working on.

Anyone else catch it? I need to watch it again to figure out who it was.

I'm not a crazy fan, but like many of their songs and recognize their undeniable impact on music. Really enjoyed it--somewhat amazed it took decades for the footage to get edited etc.
Yeah, I caught that. Googled it and found
http://www.harisongs.com/home/
Old 12-03-2021, 01:20 AM

i felt it was a more like an inside term

from a Beatle the bandmember, certainly this was well before any estate driven release etc. I need to watch it again (which means finding the time and motivation), but I don't think it was related to any conversation about India, but related to creating songs for the upcoming concert.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:12 AM

I'm about 2/3 through the second episode.
The significance of this being recorded live is really highlighted- a big departure from the very produced George Martin approach. The process seemed haphazard also. Aside from the drums, there was no isolation with the other instruments. It does not seem like consideration was given to things like amp placement or having a pa vs headphones to monitor vocals. Would be curious what the considerations were. Also notable is that Phil Spector is listed as the producer on the record, after the band rejected Glyn Johns' results. But Spector wasnt present during recording and mostly layered things on top after the fact, and in typical overblown fashion, with mixed results at best. I want to listen to the naked version of the record that I just became aware of.

I was struck by how rough and garage-y the rehearsals sounded. But it would evolve and tighten up by the time they recorded, though still pretty loose. These guys could play live for sure!

Also notable was how much Paul directed the arrangements, and was meticulous about details. For example, the little keyboard embellishment after the chorus on Get Back.
I heard in another interview it was his idea to have trumpet on Penny Lane and that he actually composed the very iconic part that the trumpeter played. I always thought that George Martin did all that kind thing.

Last edited by marciero; 12-03-2021 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:08 AM

It's a great series, especially for fans. What blows me away is that they are in their late 20s (on average). Already accomplished so, so much.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
I waffle back and forth between thinking... what a bummer they didn't figure out how to stay together and grow the band as the individuals grew... and just being happy they stayed together as long as they did. None of my friends from 14 lasted to college, that's for sure.
Part of what I love about the Beatles is only recognizable as a result of the breakup. They were so much greater than the sum of their parts; their genius was that their talents fit so effortlessly with one another.

"Get Back" is such a gift.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
I’ve never been able to understand her unearned confidence. Do a YT search for her “singing” the National Anthem, just amazing. Lennon was her 3rd husband, the first two were also musical but guess they weren’t big enough stars. Just speculating, and I may be totally off base.

Tim
I recently heard a comedian talk about reverting back to standard time in early November. He said getting an extra hour of 2021 was like getting a bonus track on a Yoko Ono CD. LOL
Old 12-07-2021, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
So far my favorite was watching them create 'get back' as a song and then the Preston sessions.
https://youtu.be/9kOQ5sgzhRA